Teeth broken ... Not mine

Bruduc

So I just done gear oil change and new HD cover and then I discovered that some pieces of tooth where missing, don't know how it could break like this. What do you think ?

Attachments

• IMG_20180606_130513.jpg
    IMG_20180606_130513.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20180606_130506.jpg
    IMG_20180606_130506.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 318

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've seen the spider gears go before. when a jeep was fighting for traction in the rear, one tire spinning, the other not, and a little bounce is all it takes...

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

WJCO

Meme King
So I just done gear oil change and new HD cover and then I discovered that some pieces of tooth where missing, don't know how it could break like this. What do you think ?

That type of pitting looks like wear over time IMO. Once a large enough Chunk breaks off, the other teeth get damaged. If your ring and pinion are OK, you probably have some time to fix it. Just listen carefully for noises and keep an eye on the amount of metal in the fluid. If you're planning on repairing now, you can likely get a loaded Carrier for a reasonable price but you will have to set up the gears again.

Bruduc

Thanks guys, spinning and bouncing could happen in a trail, maybe that's wath happened, but if it's wear over time do you think I can claim for warranty ?

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks guys, spinning and bouncing could happen in a trail, maybe that's wath happened, but if it's wear over time do you think I can claim for warranty ?

It's worth a try. I've seen several over the years. Not sure if warranty covers it or not though.

Bruduc

So just came out of the dealership and they will guarantee it, they're even willing to change the gear for whatever I want, debating on 4:56 or 4:88 . I will leave the LSD (anti slip differential ) on the back and gear the dirty 30 , or leave everything stock to 3:73 at no cost , but if I change in the back I saved almost 2 gran cause they will charge only the gear ... Tempting but it's 15 hundred anyway for the front, (Canadian money) what do you think ??

BaddestCross

So just came out of the dealership and they will guarantee it, they're even willing to change the gear for whatever I want, debating on 4:56 or 4:88 . I will leave the LSD (anti slip differential ) on the back and gear the dirty 30 , or leave everything stock to 3:73 at no cost , but if I change in the back I saved almost 2 gran cause they will charge only the gear ... Tempting but it's 15 hundred anyway for the front, (Canadian money) what do you think ??
Good grief. First of all, move out of Canada. 😎

What size tires are you running/plan on running? If you're on or going to be on 35s, I'd go with 4.88 and let them eat half the bill.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Bruduc

🤣🤣 but with all the shit happening both sides, political and financial don't know where to go ...
I'm on 35, auto, maybe 37 on long term (next tire change) I'm leaning on 4:88 but some guys over here find the pignon a bit to small (failure point) and rev to high, they suggested 4:56

BaddestCross

🤣🤣 but with all the shit happening both sides, political and financial don't know where to go ...
I'm on 35, auto, maybe 37 on long term (next tire change) I'm leaning on 4:88 but some guys over here find the pignon a bit to small (failure point) and rev to high, they suggested 4:56
Lol.

4.88 would be as low as I would go with a D30 precisely because of the pinion size. I also wouldn't go any higher than 35s with your setup... What kinda wheeling do you do?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jdofmemi

You could let them do the rear, And get a PR44 front with 4.88 already in it. Sell the 30 to someone who broke theirs already.
That way you could be set up, And barely more money than a regeared when it is done.

My vote would be 4.88, as it is perfect for 35's and will do for 37's as well

BaddestCross

You could let them do the rear, And get a PR44 front with 4.88 already in it. Sell the 30 to someone who broke theirs already.
That way you could be set up, And barely more money than a regeared when it is done.

My vote would be 4.88, as it is perfect for 35's and will do for 37's as well
☝️ This... Assuming the price on a PR44 is within the same realm in Canada as the regear.

--

BaddestCross

Not really , about 8 thousands for a pr44, 6 for a Curry or G2, not heaven install, plus taxes .......
Yeah, I figured... Other option is find a Rubi takeoff front D44 - preferably with your gearing of choice - and swap out that D30.

Anyhow, to go back to your original question, 4.88s max on the 30. Again, I'd stick with 35s unless all your wheeling is easy fire roads and the like. Install some C gussets, Chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips, and wheel it till it explodes. 😎

--

Bruduc

So they finally done it last week, 4:88 wow power is back, I can easily spin tires 😂 but will have to calm down if I don't want to break everything again, didn't try in a trail yet, hopefully this weekend, thanks again for the help

Top Bottom