Co2 tank rotting tires?

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
I had a guy tell me that he used a co2 tank to air up his tires and it rotted his tires from the inside out. Any one on here ever have this prob?

Bear_JT

Hooked
I wonder if he was getting moisture in to his tires somehow when he filled. I seem to remember small amounts of moisture with my CO2 bottle when I used to play paintball back in the day but could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Na moisture and co2 alone still wouldn't cause this ... there has to be something in the tire in order to cause a reaction to the co2 for this to happen ... just can't think of what would react with it off the top of my head

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

I can't see it either. I used a Powertank for years to air up with. I don't think I ever put air in the tires on my Toyota at all. It has sat 10 years, and when I pulled it out of the weeds, 3 of the tires still hold, and the one that doesn't has a hole from before I parked it.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
There is either a sulfate or nitrate in em as either of these mixed with water an co2 will cause a issue with not only rubber but plastic as well .... I'm more inclined to think it's a nitrate ......

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
Yeah it sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Had to be something else causing the prob. I figured if nobody on here ever had any trouble with it I should be safe.

A.J.

Yeah it sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Had to be something else causing the prob. I figured if nobody on here ever had any trouble with it I should be safe.

I use it all the time. No problems. It would be interesting to see what his " rotted out " casings looked like. Any pictures?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
No pics. They said it happened a long time ago. There has been a few deals on craiglist for co2 tanks ill prob pic one up. I have most of the stuff to do a york compressor but i just dont air down that much. A york would take alot more work to get going.

Top Bottom