CA legal cat converters???

JDDK

Good Evening Guys,
I got the rattle and funky sulfur odor in my 09jku. Tried to ignore it until the CELs kept hitting. replaced cracked manifold, EGR, plugs, checked wires and did smoke test and checked for loose heat shields... still odor, rattle and mpg down to 11,12 from 14,15 consistently, but jeep runs pretty decent.(just did a 3500 mile trip so I spent 2wks time listening and smelling) Hate rattle but odor and mpg confirms a real issue that I need to fix.

My problem aside from being in KA with its progressive self flagulation and mutilation, every parts store here doesnt list any cat replacement at all. Cant seem to locate a CA legal one online either. 49 state direct fit y-units under 500 avail everywhere online and at the counter when I travelled.
Any CA guys been through this without buying the 1300 stealership one? Or a knowledgeable performance shop that I can consult?
I seriously doubt a smog tech will try to see or even could see the carb label stamp if i went with the 49 state unit. I just dont want to blow 500 only to fail smog testing and still spend the 1300 oem$ or get the CEL back...which is also a test fail.

I read a ton of what I could find on WAL previous posts as well as online searches but no real answers to this. Any insight or experience is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jon

WJCO

Meme King
I would highly recommend talking to a Midas shop in your area or a large chain that does exhaust. They are strictly held to understanding the regulations with converter installs, especially because they use aftermarket cats. They should know what can/can't be done and give a price if there's a cheaper option.

Another site that I found helpful was Walker Exhaust. They have a lot of detail about cats and FAQs: http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/understanding-catalytic-converter/epa-converter-basics

jesse3638

Hooked
Ran into the same issue on my old Titan. CA sucks when it comes to exhaust. I could have gotten JBA long tube headers with CAT delete and still passed obd and sniffer test all while adding HP and MPG. However I'd have failed the visual because the parts wouldn't have been CARB compliant. Anyways I'll have to dig up the link to the CARB website with all the compliant part numbers. The thing I found is some manufacturers had a part CARB certified they just never put the into production.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

tunafed

I had the same problem when I lost the bank 2 cat on my WJ. Magnaflow and eastern were the only carb approved options. The factory mopar ones are not even approved. It looks like that is the case with yours as well. According to the carb database you got some universal weld in options from AP exhaust holdings and what appears to be magnaflow.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts Screenshot_20180611-233457.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

jesse3638

Hooked
^^^This^^^

That was the link I was looking for. Talk to a local reputable exhaust shop. They'll know what they can put on legally. If not they are subject to hefty fines. FMS Performance in San Bernardino did my Titan. They installed JBA headers with a stand alone CAT. I've heard heard on the JK are nothing but trouble as they produce a lot of heat and to stick with OEM style manifolds.

jesse3638

Hooked
Napa sells the universal and the C.A.R.B compliment ones. Way cheaper than the dealer but still not cheap.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
Are they specific to the JK? That was one thing I learned when shopping for my Titan. The CARB certification is vehicle model and year specific. Example, the CATS I used were good on my Titan but not the same year Pathfinder Armada even though it's the same engine and exhaust configuration. Stupid CA.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I would highly recommend talking to a Midas shop in your area or a large chain that does exhaust. They are strictly held to understanding the regulations with converter installs, especially because they use aftermarket cats. They should know what can/can't be done and give a price if there's a cheaper option.

Another site that I found helpful was Walker Exhaust. They have a lot of detail about cats and FAQs: http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/understanding-catalytic-converter/epa-converter-basics
Midas will know what they are doing for sure. But be wary of their costs. I've known a few midas's to upcharge the crap out of standard work.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Are they specific to the JK? That was one thing I learned when shopping for my Titan. The CARB certification is vehicle model and year specific. Example, the CATS I used were good on my Titan but not the same year Pathfinder Armada even though it's the same engine and exhaust configuration. Stupid CA.

It isn't something that will be listed generally for the jk but any good Napa counterman should be able to find the OEM dorman part number and cross it back into the system. It will be exact fit just won't be listed as such because the Napa solutions (dorman) don't list by application.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug

It isn't something that will be listed generally for the jk but any good Napa counterman should be able to find the OEM dorman part number and cross it back into the system. It will be exact fit just won't be listed as such because the Napa solutions (dorman) don't list by application.

I'll be the first to admit when I'm wrong, but holy s*** is that a hard part to find. Granted I'm a couple beers into my night so my searching skills may not be at peak level, but best I can tell see if a local Parts House such as Napa can buy out from the dealer. Generally Parts houses who do business with the dealers will get a discount and even with markup it may end up being cheaper than the dealer. Definitely double down and see if there is a part somewhere out there that will work but for the first time in a while I can say I am stumped to send him anywhere other than the dealer. Another idea that just hit me is maybe check around you for local scrap yards for wrecked Wranglers with the 3.8 because chances are they were wrecked before that cat ever went bad. So while no shop will put the part on for you, given that it's used, you can put it on and at least have the peace of mind to get through emissions in California.

JDDK

i was thinking salvage too. 20 yrs ago, Rancho Cordova had miles of brand specific salvage yards for LKQ parts. Wondering if still around...

JDDK

LKQ said it is illegal to sell the used cats in CA. Only approved smog or exhaust shops following the CA specs can legally sell cats here. nuts!

jdofmemi

Kalifornia is horrible for things like this.

Maybe try salvage yards out of state. They won't be able to ship it to CA, but maybe someone local could help.

JDDK

Im in home construction and we have a state regulation on faucet flow restricted showerheads and low capacity toilets. Some clients smuggle into state a normal toilet because it flushes without clogging. a felony of course.
So stupid.

tunafed

If I can offer a little bit of advice, if you replace it go with one on the carb list. If it looks like it's been replaced to the smog shop and it doesn't have the correct EO stamp they can fail you on the visual. After they charge for the test of course. A co worker of mine bought one off that list for his truck, welded it on himself but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the EO stamp and he failed. Had to cut it off, spin it around and re weld it. They can be that anal.

The magnaflow 545774 on the list is pretty damn pricey and I didn't see the AP exhaust ones available for retail anywhere. So maybe check with a local exhaust shop and see if they can order one.

jesse3638

Hooked
Most scrap yard I’ve been to, in California, won’t sell used Cats. I think it might be against the law to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LKQ said it is illegal to sell the used cats in CA. Only approved smog or exhaust shops following the CA specs can legally sell cats here. nuts!
^^^This^^^
Im in home construction and we have a state regulation on faucet flow restricted showerheads and low capacity toilets. Some clients smuggle into state a normal toilet because it flushes without clogging. a felony of course.
So stupid.
I have an older faucet in my kitchen. The aerator failed so I went to get a new one. The big box stores only sell low flow and it wasn't working well with my faucet. Fortunately I travel to NV for work and found a regular one there. Smuggled that bad boy over state lines. Was looking for smokey in my rearview all the way home...haha.
If I can offer a little bit of advice, if you replace it go with one on the carb list. If it looks like it's been replaced to the smog shop and it doesn't have the correct EO stamp they can fail you on the visual. After they charge for the test of course. A co worker of mine bought one off that list for his truck, welded it on himself but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the EO stamp and he failed. Had to cut it off, spin it around and re weld it. They can be that anal.

The magnaflow 545774 on the list is pretty damn pricey and I didn't see the AP exhaust ones available for retail anywhere. So maybe check with a local exhaust shop and see if they can order one.

^^^This^^^ So stupid as long as it passes the emissions test I don't see why you need a visual. VW may know something about that though..;)

JDDK

it gets better folks: muffler shops here offered same price as dealer, as oem is only CA option. So, purchased from dealer just now to install myself. Surprise Bonus! They charged me a refundable extra 200 bucks that I get back if I return the old one to them. Seems CARB and state of CA is policing them too and trying to control all used converters from being sold.
You know, I Never have seen CARB or EPA regs up for any vote on any ballot? Libs talk big about democracy but they want totalitarian control to implement their religion. Ebay has 49 state aftermarket bolt ins everywhere for under 300 without the special sticker (my new one will melt off in 5 minutes after install)and that will pass smog tests and I just blew 1300 to be that legal, law abiding taxpayer once again that most leeches in my state call a rightwing, neanderthal, narrowminded, bigoted extremist gun loving, prius hating, religious nutjob who wants to force my beliefs upon others, womens bodies and such. This state needs a revolution by the real men and women who have a shred of common sense left! Drain the swamp here! Glad I got that off my chest! Feel like Im ready to go fight everyone.
...man it feels good to be a gansta...not really.

I thought about doing a writeup for the replacement but its really only 5 bolts, 3 hours and a lot of built up negativity that probably should just die with me under my Jeep out in my driveway...

Thanks for your support and insight as a forum, fellas.

Top Bottom