Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: CA legal cat converters???

  1. #11
    Been Around the Block JDDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Oxnard Ca
    Posts
    285
    i was thinking salvage too. 20 yrs ago, Rancho Cordova had miles of brand specific salvage yards for LKQ parts. Wondering if still around...

  2. #12
    Been Around the Block pop2tu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    High desert Ca
    Posts
    383
    Most scrap yard I’ve been to, in California, won’t sell used Cats. I think it might be against the law to do so!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #13
    Been Around the Block JDDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Oxnard Ca
    Posts
    285
    LKQ said it is illegal to sell the used cats in CA. Only approved smog or exhaust shops following the CA specs can legally sell cats here. nuts!

  4. #14
    Hooked jdofmemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Menifee CA
    Posts
    193
    Kalifornia is horrible for things like this.

    Maybe try salvage yards out of state. They won't be able to ship it to CA, but maybe someone local could help.

  5. #15
    Been Around the Block JDDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Oxnard Ca
    Posts
    285
    Im in home construction and we have a state regulation on faucet flow restricted showerheads and low capacity toilets. Some clients smuggle into state a normal toilet because it flushes without clogging. a felony of course.
    So stupid.

  6. #16
    Fresh Catch tunafed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    US
    Posts
    11
    If I can offer a little bit of advice, if you replace it go with one on the carb list. If it looks like it's been replaced to the smog shop and it doesn't have the correct EO stamp they can fail you on the visual. After they charge for the test of course. A co worker of mine bought one off that list for his truck, welded it on himself but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the EO stamp and he failed. Had to cut it off, spin it around and re weld it. They can be that anal.

    The magnaflow 545774 on the list is pretty damn pricey and I didn't see the AP exhaust ones available for retail anywhere. So maybe check with a local exhaust shop and see if they can order one.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

  7. #17
    Old Timer jesse3638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by pop2tu View Post
    Most scrap yard I’ve been to, in California, won’t sell used Cats. I think it might be against the law to do so!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by JDDK View Post
    LKQ said it is illegal to sell the used cats in CA. Only approved smog or exhaust shops following the CA specs can legally sell cats here. nuts!
    ^^^This^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by JDDK View Post
    Im in home construction and we have a state regulation on faucet flow restricted showerheads and low capacity toilets. Some clients smuggle into state a normal toilet because it flushes without clogging. a felony of course.
    So stupid.
    I have an older faucet in my kitchen. The aerator failed so I went to get a new one. The big box stores only sell low flow and it wasn't working well with my faucet. Fortunately I travel to NV for work and found a regular one there. Smuggled that bad boy over state lines. Was looking for smokey in my rearview all the way home...haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by tunafed View Post
    If I can offer a little bit of advice, if you replace it go with one on the carb list. If it looks like it's been replaced to the smog shop and it doesn't have the correct EO stamp they can fail you on the visual. After they charge for the test of course. A co worker of mine bought one off that list for his truck, welded it on himself but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the EO stamp and he failed. Had to cut it off, spin it around and re weld it. They can be that anal.

    The magnaflow 545774 on the list is pretty damn pricey and I didn't see the AP exhaust ones available for retail anywhere. So maybe check with a local exhaust shop and see if they can order one.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    ^^^This^^^ So stupid as long as it passes the emissions test I don't see why you need a visual. VW may know something about that though..

    Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #18
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    23,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Strodinator View Post
    Midas will know what they are doing for sure. But be wary of their costs. I've known a few midas's to upcharge the crap out of standard work.

    Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I don't disagree at all with this statement.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Catalytic converters
    By gingerchocolate in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-20-2015, 12:18 AM
  2. Cut Fenders - Legal in NJ?
    By tonytony9 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-23-2015, 11:00 PM
  3. does this exhaust is legal?
    By tkkim in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM
  4. Are harnesses legal
    By noroad in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-01-2013, 12:46 AM
  5. TJ tailgate and ca legal cat
    By Elusive in forum Wanted (Active Members ONLY)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS