Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CA legal cat converters???

i was thinking salvage too. 20 yrs ago, Rancho Cordova had miles of brand specific salvage yards for LKQ parts. Wondering if still around...

Most scrap yard I’ve been to, in California, won’t sell used Cats. I think it might be against the law to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

LKQ said it is illegal to sell the used cats in CA. Only approved smog or exhaust shops following the CA specs can legally sell cats here. nuts!

Kalifornia is horrible for things like this.

Maybe try salvage yards out of state. They won't be able to ship it to CA, but maybe someone local could help.

Im in home construction and we have a state regulation on faucet flow restricted showerheads and low capacity toilets. Some clients smuggle into state a normal toilet because it flushes without clogging. a felony of course.
    So stupid.

If I can offer a little bit of advice, if you replace it go with one on the carb list. If it looks like it's been replaced to the smog shop and it doesn't have the correct EO stamp they can fail you on the visual. After they charge for the test of course. A co worker of mine bought one off that list for his truck, welded it on himself but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the EO stamp and he failed. Had to cut it off, spin it around and re weld it. They can be that anal.

The magnaflow 545774 on the list is pretty damn pricey and I didn't see the AP exhaust ones available for retail anywhere. So maybe check with a local exhaust shop and see if they can order one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pop2tu View Post
    Most scrap yard I’ve been to, in California, won’t sell used Cats. I think it might be against the law to do so!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by JDDK View Post
    LKQ said it is illegal to sell the used cats in CA. Only approved smog or exhaust shops following the CA specs can legally sell cats here. nuts!
    ^^^This^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by JDDK View Post
    Im in home construction and we have a state regulation on faucet flow restricted showerheads and low capacity toilets. Some clients smuggle into state a normal toilet because it flushes without clogging. a felony of course.
    So stupid.
    I have an older faucet in my kitchen. The aerator failed so I went to get a new one. The big box stores only sell low flow and it wasn't working well with my faucet. Fortunately I travel to NV for work and found a regular one there. Smuggled that bad boy over state lines. Was looking for smokey in my rearview all the way home...haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by tunafed View Post
    If I can offer a little bit of advice, if you replace it go with one on the carb list. If it looks like it's been replaced to the smog shop and it doesn't have the correct EO stamp they can fail you on the visual. After they charge for the test of course. A co worker of mine bought one off that list for his truck, welded it on himself but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the EO stamp and he failed. Had to cut it off, spin it around and re weld it. They can be that anal.

The magnaflow 545774 on the list is pretty damn pricey and I didn't see the AP exhaust ones available for retail anywhere. So maybe check with a local exhaust shop and see if they can order one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    ^^^This^^^ So stupid as long as it passes the emissions test I don't see why you need a visual. VW may know something about that though..

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Strodinator View Post
    Midas will know what they are doing for sure. But be wary of their costs. I've known a few midas's to upcharge the crap out of standard work.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    I don't disagree at all with this statement.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

it gets better folks: muffler shops here offered same price as dealer, as oem is only CA option. So, purchased from dealer just now to install myself. Surprise Bonus! They charged me a refundable extra 200 bucks that I get back if I return the old one to them. Seems CARB and state of CA is policing them too and trying to control all used converters from being sold.
    You know, I Never have seen CARB or EPA regs up for any vote on any ballot? Libs talk big about democracy but they want totalitarian control to implement their religion. Ebay has 49 state aftermarket bolt ins everywhere for under 300 without the special sticker (my new one will melt off in 5 minutes after install)and that will pass smog tests and I just blew 1300 to be that legal, law abiding taxpayer once again that most leeches in my state call a rightwing, neanderthal, narrowminded, bigoted extremist gun loving, prius hating, religious nutjob who wants to force my beliefs upon others, womens bodies and such. This state needs a revolution by the real men and women who have a shred of common sense left! Drain the swamp here! Glad I got that off my chest! Feel like Im ready to go fight everyone.
    ...man it feels good to be a gansta...not really.

I thought about doing a writeup for the replacement but its really only 5 bolts, 3 hours and a lot of built up negativity that probably should just die with me under my Jeep out in my driveway...

Thanks for your support and insight as a forum, fellas.

Are any other cats CARB legal and just won't be sold here? In other words, if I went to Nevada to have a cat installed, would it pass visual here in California?

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    --
    Build Thread: Adventures with Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast