Ultimate Dana 44

Guascone

What do you think about the Ultimate DANA 44?
Here in Italy it is available a good price fully assembled (axle shaft chromoly, electric locker, gear, etc) .

If I will sell my standard 44 I can buy it with a very small delta cost (less than a set of chromoly axel shaft).

Could it be a good alternative to other 44 axel housing or wil I waste my money?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What do you think about the Ultimate DANA 44?
Here in Italy it is available a good price fully assembled (axle shaft chromoly, electric locker, gear, etc) .

If I will sell my standard 44 I can buy it with a very small delta cost (less than a set of chromoly axel shaft).

Could it be a good alternative to other 44 axel housing or wil I waste my money?

Being that you already have a factory 44, I would recommend that you get a Dynatrac ProRock 44 for Rubicon and just swap the internal components. It's a lot cheaper to do it that way. Of course, being that you're in Italy, it may still be more cost effective to go with a Dana.

Guascone

Being that you already have a factory 44, I would recommend that you get a Dynatrac ProRock 44 for Rubicon and just swap the internal components. It's a lot cheaper to do it that way. Of course, being that you're in Italy, it may still be more cost effective to go with a Dana.

Thanks for your feedback!

I had the opportunity to have a look only at Dana 44 ultimate.
It looks like more strong than the standard one. The C are larger than the OEM, all the brackets are thicker than the OEM and also the tube.

This is what I observed.

Unfortunately I had no chance to see with my eyes also a Prorock 44 and I have no comparison between the two axle housing.

You are right, the Dana is more affordable than the Dynatrac. With the same money necessary to buy the Dana fully assembled here I can only buy the Dynatrac housing…this is the reason why I’m asking info for it...

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thanks for your feedback!

You are right, the Dana is more affordable than the Dynatrac. With the same money necessary to buy the Dana fully assembled here I can only buy the Dynatrac housing…this is the reason why I’m asking info for it...

If you have a Dana 44 already, all you need is the ProRock 44 housing for a Rubicon and swap all your internals. If the Dynatrac housing costs the same as the Full UD44, I would go with the PR44 and move all your stuff to it for a way stronger axle.

Guascone

I agree with this

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

On my wish list the prorock is on the first position...

The idea about the Dana 44 ultimate was born because I still have the OEM axle shafts and first or late I will need to replace them... if I will sell my housing complete, I can buy the Ultimate fully assembled with a small additional ammount of money ( just the hd axle shafts price).

If it is a way to waste my money I will wait untill I will bend my housing...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

dunstan74

I would just get the 37s and do c gussets on your factory 44 while saving for a upgrade.

Depending on your wheeling you might not even need an upgraded housing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

Guascone

I would just get the 37s and do c gussets on your factory 44 while saving for a upgrade.

Depending on your wheeling you might not even need an upgraded housing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using WAYALIFE mobile app

I already have c gussets...I have some concern reguarding the OEM axleshafts...

Honestly I’m in the situation where I can not decide what I have to upgrade for the first...

I have my wishlist but I hate the additional cost of the export duty that I have to pay for it...

[emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Last edited:

BaddestCross

I already have c gussets...I have some concern reguarding the OEM axleshafts...

Honestly I’m in the situation where I can not decide what I have to upgrade for the first...

I have my wishlist but I hate the additional cost of the export duty that I have to pay for it...

[emoji30][emoji30][emoji30]

Get Chromoly axle shafts with full circle clips then wheel until you bend your housing.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

J

JKDream

I would like to go up to 37” tires and I would like to go wheeling without too many concern about axle breackage...

I might be wrong but I don't believe the UD44 offers a larger splined axle shaft, so you essentially end up with the same thing. If you are worried about breaking the housing itself, don't. When they bend, they're still driveable and will get you off of the trail. Mine was bent for several weeks while I was waiting for my PR44 to be built, I still daily drove it to work everyday without issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

I might be wrong but I don't believe the UD44 offers a larger splined axle shaft, so you essentially end up with the same thing. If you are worried about breaking the housing itself, don't. When they bend, they're still driveable and will get you off of the trail. Mine was bent for several weeks while I was waiting for my PR44 to be built, I still daily drove it to work everyday without issue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

With that said, I've seen axle shafts break a couple different ways. Most times the u-joint clip comes out and the ears end up snapping off.
However, when the shaft itself breaks, usually near the carrier - it's typically caused by the housing flexing under load and deflecting.
For that reason alone, I would feel more confident with 30 spline shafts in a ProRock housing for example, than a 35 spline shaft in a stock Rubicon housing (if a front Rubicon housing 35spl carrier even exists).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom