Why We Use Caution & Advanced Winching Technique

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
This was just shared over in one of my FB groups. No word as to outcome.

Jeep crested the dune with a bit too much vigor, flipped it. Jeep owners seem to do this a half-dozen times a year. They're not alone though. There're plenty of quads, side-by-sides, and others that have their fair share.

As regards winch technique, note how, as they're pulling it over from the bottom, the Michigan DNR truck atop the dune is controlling it with his winch.

Creative Winching.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
Yeah, that’s weird the way they were winching it back down. But I’d guess they have a lot more experience righting vehicles than i do.

Dunes can be a bit scary when it comes to launching off the back side. You have to maintain enough power to Crest and kill it on the top. Over the years I’ve crested a couple dunes to find nothing at the top but a steep drop back down and get unexpectedly launched. Most of the time they post the steep drops, but dunes constantly change.

From that picture, that wasn’t the case. That was pure driver error with all those Jeeps parked on top.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, that’s weird the way they were winching it back down. But I’d guess they have a lot more experience righting vehicles than i do.

Dunes can be a bit scary when it comes to launching off the back side. You have to maintain enough power to Crest and kill it on the top. Over the years I’ve crested a couple dunes to find nothing at the top but a steep drop back down and get unexpectedly launched. Most of the time they post the steep drops, but dunes constantly change.

From that picture, that wasn’t the case. That was pure driver error with all those Jeeps parked on top.

I've seen 2 fatal collisions where vehicles crested dunes at the same time. Both involved young people and alcohol. I don't miss being around those places. People get too crazy.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I've seen 2 fatal collisions where vehicles crested dunes at the same time. Both involved young people and alcohol. I don't miss being around those places. People get too crazy.

Totally agree. It’s gotten to crazy for me. We still go every year, but I try to target a mid week morning with rain in the forecast. Silver lake does a good job about direction of travel to avoid head on collisions. It’s the dirt bikes and ATVs that scare me the most. I have 6k lbs of protection. They have a helmet....

I-Eat-Mud

Totally agree. It’s gotten to crazy for me. We still go every year, but I try to target a mid week morning with rain in the forecast. Silver lake does a good job about direction of travel to avoid head on collisions. It’s the dirt bikes and ATVs that scare me the most. I have 6k lbs of protection. They have a helmet....

There's only really one place nearby where I live to play in the dunes, and there is NO direction of travel. It's just a free-for-all mad house out there. I don't go for that reason, maybe i'm getting old quick. But I'm not gonna get killed by some idiot out there.

Theiven

i've seen 2 collisions myself, both involved into alcohol. poor people died because of an idiot who thinks he's not touched by alcohol and driving. 2 other people i know got into collisions because they were drank but thankfully with no fatalities. alcohol is no joke. Tom Yum Goong Nam Knon or Thai Coconut Soup Recipe

Last edited:
Definitely go in the week. Mon-Thursday it’s just you and maybe 20 people. I almost took out a dirt biker last year bc he thought it was cool to drive within 3’ of my moving Jeep with kids in the back. Always have to keep your head on a swivel there, saw a bunch of atv’s that didn’t wanna drive around the place they were jumping so would go back and forth up the same DIRECTIONAL spot. It’s almost getting not enjoyable with having to watch constantly for the “just send it” crowd.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Definitely go in the week. Mon-Thursday it’s just you and maybe 20 people. I almost took out a dirt biker last year bc he thought it was cool to drive within 3’ of my moving Jeep with kids in the back. Always have to keep your head on a swivel there, saw a bunch of atv’s that didn’t wanna drive around the place they were jumping so would go back and forth up the same DIRECTIONAL spot. It’s almost getting not enjoyable with having to watch constantly for the “just send it” crowd.

It really is a shame. 20 years ago when I first started running my CJ there it was different place. I won’t go on the weekends anymore during the summer. Rainy Tuesdays are the best.

Chris1015

Never been so cant truly say from experience but nothing about this place seems appealing to me. What is the point to this place as far as wheeling goes? I've seen YouTube videos but it just seems like cruising in sand.

Never been so cant truly say from experience but nothing about this place seems appealing to me. What is the point to this place as far as wheeling goes? I've seen YouTube videos but it just seems like cruising in sand.

Videos don’t do the angles and height justice. As well as the drag strip, beach access to lake mich, and what’s left of silver lake that the dunes are slowly filling in. It’s a pretty good sized area you can do whatever in, which there are not many of those ‘scramble’ areas in the state. As far as actual wheeling goes, it’s nothing technical, it’s pretty much just screwing around in a grown up sand box with the skinny pedal.

Top Bottom