MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler NV-241 / NV-241OR Transfer Case Service

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As a good part of routine maintenance on your Jeep JK Wrangler, it is highly recommended that you service your NV241 or NV241OR transfer case once every 30,000. Changing out the ATF+4 transfer case fluid will give you an opportunity to inspect it for any signs of abnormal wear going on inside (i.e. bits of metal coming out) and new fluid will help keep things operating smoothly. This is a very simple task, can be done in minutes with the right tools and this write-up should be able to help you out.

What You Will Need
• (2) Quarts ATF+4
• 18mm Socket
• 10mm Allen Bit
• Ratchet
• Bottle Pump
• Oil Catch Pan

Instructions
1. Park your Jeep on level ground. Then, using an 18mm socket, remove the 4 bolts securing the transmission skid plate to the frame driver side frame rail, cross member and gas tank skid plate.
main.php

2. Place an oil catch pan underneath your NV241 transfer case and then, using a 10mm allen bit, remove the fill bolt as shown in this pic.
main.php

3. Using the same 10mm allen bit, loosen your NV241 drain bolt to the point where you can remove it by hand.
main.php

4. Continue removing the NV241 drain bolt by hand and then let the fluid drain completely into the oil catch pan.
main.php

5. Once completely drained of all its fluid, reinstall the NV241 drain bolt using a 10mm allen bit.
main.php

6. Attach a bottle pump to your ATF+4 fluid bottle, insert the feeder tube into the fill hole on your NV241 transfer case and then begin pumping the fluid into it. It should take about 2 quarts of fluid to fill and you’ll know when it’s full when fluid starts to ooze back out the fill hole.
main.php

7. Once the ATF+4 starts to ooze back out, quickly reinstall the fill bolt onto your NV241 transfer case using a 10mm allen bit, clean up your mess and you’re done.
main.php

When finished, please be sure to take your used transmission fluid to your local auto parts store to have it disposed of properly.

kttx740

Thanks Eddie! This now on my list of maintenance items to do as soon as it warms up a bit here in VA.

Cheers!

Markymark420

As a side note: What is the purpose of the bracket (dampener???) mounted on the rear of the transfer case? It is not present on mine, but the mounting points are there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As a side note: What is the purpose of the bracket (dampener???) mounted on the rear of the transfer case? It is not present on mine, but the mounting points are there.

Early model JK's came with the vibration dampener but I haven't seen them on newer models.

SP77

Thanks! When my JK was under warranty I had the dealer perform all my maintenance, just for extra liability's sake. Now that the warranty has recently expired I will be self-performing all the maintenance I can. This Forum is very helpful, thanks again!

Paws

Was about to do this but did not have an 10mm Allen wrench. Guess a trip to auto part store. I need some engine oil for an oil change as well.

Thanks for the write up!

Mtsnowjk

Did this today. It is really easy. I would highly recommend using the same pump that is used in the write up. I tried using a suction gun because that's all my local autozone had. What a mess. Eventually I called around and found a hand pump at another store. Everything went smoothly then.

While I had the skid plate off I also took a wire brush to the rust spots and hit it with a few coats of rustoleum.

Total project time including the skid plate and time wasted with the suction gun was 3 hours.

Thanks for an awesome write up.

kdude

Did this today. It is really easy. I would highly recommend using the same pump that is used in the write up. I tried using a suction gun because that's all my local autozone had. What a mess. Eventually I called around and found a hand pump at another store. Everything went smoothly then.

While I had the skid plate off I also took a wire brush to the rust spots and hit it with a few coats of rustoleum.

Total project time including the skid plate and time wasted with the suction gun was 3 hours.

Thanks for an awesome write up.

Would you let me know where you bought the pump. Or if you have the name of the brand that would be good too. thx , Howard

JKWrang

Yes. The only difference is gearing. The basic function is the same

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JLSilerJK

Help! did this yesterday and one of the 4 bolts securing the transmission skid plate will not go back in. The bolt is in worse shape then the other 3. I've read about a bolt turning in the nut but this one just wouldnt turn. It took extra wd40 and extra muscle to get it out. I'm thinking of starting out with a new bolt. Am I correct thinking it is a grade 8 1/2 13 hex bolt? can I find one at home depot or do I need to go to jeep? TY

Top Bottom