Thread: Swapping front tires for a flat tow?

Fresh Catch

Swapping front tires for a flat tow?

Long story that is best left untold. Going to flat tow Jeep for gear swap. It has 35" tires and a 4" lift. So the tow bar sits about 8" higher at the Jeep than the trailer ball.

Considering swapping out the 35" front tires for some 29" tires. Having read that the larger tires can get "squirrelly". I don't know if that is "snowflake fear trumps all doctrine" or a substantive risk.

Do 35" tires and a 4" lift pose a substantive flat towing hazard?

I've towed loads hundreds of times but not too much flat towing. Intrigued by those who hyper ventilate at the thought.
    Last edited by 97TJ; 06-15-2018 at 02:40 AM.

I wouldn't worry about the tires, but I would correct the angle of the tow bar. That high over the ball is asking for trouble. Get a drop hitch and flip it to a raise to get the tow bar near level.

With the Jeep that much higher it could potentially rear up and climb into the back of the tow rig under hard braking. Level, or the tow rig slightly higher is good.

The only reason I would swap tires would be to save wear, and that would be a lot of work for a small return.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the tires, but I would correct the angle of the tow bar. That high over the ball is asking for trouble. Get a drop hitch and flip it to a raise to get the tow bar near level.

With the Jeep that much higher it could potentially rear up and climb into the back of the tow rig under hard braking. Level, or the tow rig slightly higher is good.

The only reason I would swap tires would be to save wear, and that would be a lot of work for a small return.
    I would recommend the same...reverse a drop hitch with the right drop distance...then you're towing level