Regearing thoughts....

TxCoastie

I recently moved up three sizes up from past tires (265) to the current tires (295.)

My 2013 JKU is an automatic trasmission with stock 3.73 gearing, Dana 30 front, Dana HD 44 rear.

Im wondering how beneficial it would be to regear to 4.11's Of course Im still in the tail end of the "good" area in the gear ratio chart but was wondering if it would be better to bump up to 4.11's or 4.27's so I could be more in the middle "good" area regarding the chart. If this gear ratio calculator is correct (.12 by your tire diameter) then that puts me at 3.96.

Im looking mostly for more mileage if possible and just to compensate for the lil bit of sluggishness since the new tires I put on.

Your toughts?

Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
From3.73 to 4.11, you likely wouldn't even notice a difference. 4.56 would be the minimum gear change that would be noticeable IMO.

jdofmemi

Without getting into the math, I think it would take close to 100,000 miles to save enough money on gas to pay for the gears, especially when changing it so little.

Changing driving habits can make a bigger impact on gas costs.

As stated above, I wouldn't change to less than 4.56, and then you would be ready for another jump in tires after you wear out the ones you have.

TxCoastie

4.56 may be the better choice. My new tires added an extra 110 pounds on top of my existing 300 pounds of steel bumpers and winch ahaha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom