Constantly in limp mode, how to get out of it, and is there a permanent fix?

Monrobit

For the past 3 months or so, my 2014 JKU has been having constant issues with shifting; it's slamming straight up into 2nd or 3rd gear when I put it in Drive, and it's not downshifting; the RPMs are routinely up above 4000. From what I've researched it's limp mode. This is happening probably 8 out of 10 times I start it up and go. The check engine light is on. I've taken it to 2 different shops and the dealership, and none of them have been able to figure out why it's doing it or a permanent fix. They've cleared the code, updated the computer, and fixed some chewed wiring, and afterwards it will be ok for a few days or weeks, and then boom, light is back on and it's not working. I need to know if there's a way to get it out of limp mode when it's acting up so I can drive it without having the RPMs up at 4,5, or 6 thousand and having to worry about blowing the transmission up. Sometimes it's so bad that it's basically undriveable. Has anyone had this problem and been able to kick it back into normal, and more importantly, is there a permanent fix for it?

BaddestCross

I don't remember the numeric code, but when it first started acting up, my buddy hooked it up to his diagnostic thing and he said the code was for "impulse data to final drive solenoid". I'm not an expert, I have no clue what that means, and apparently it didn't help any of the mechanics out either.
If you can get the actual code, someone on here might be able to give you some ideas.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Your chewed wires could be bad grounds or you may have a bad solenoid or pressure switch.

Last edited:

Monrobit

where exactly were these "chewed wires"? and if you could get that code that be a huge help.

I had a mouse get up under the engine cover and build a nest and it chewed some wires, not sure exactly which ones since I didn't find them, but my mechanic seemed to think they were ones that could be throw that particular code and affect the transmission/shifting performance. I just tried the key sequence to get the code, it didn't work so I guess I'll have to take it to someone with a diagnostic tool again.

Top Bottom