Junkyard axles

Krystianjk

Who here is running junkyard axles? From what year are yall axles from and does it really matter? I found a decent deal on some 1 tons off an f250 from 2006. Lemme hear what're yall running [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Artec offers 1 ton brackets for the super duty axles from 99+ w/ factory disk brakes. They also offer a GM 14 bolt option that would be bulletproof, but has a HUGE pumpkin so would lose lots of ground clearance. I have been considering a super duty super slow swap myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Who here is running junkyard axles? From what year are yall axles from and does it really matter? I found a decent deal on some 1 tons off an f250 from 2006. Lemme hear what're yall running [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

From what I've seen and read, unless you can do the fab work and setup either by yourself or with a buddies (free) help, the swap gets pricey real quick. The initial cost of the axles is offset by adding in rebuilding the axles themselves, the swap brackets, new shocks, driveshafts, possibly moving the gas tank, lockers/diffs (add in that setup cost as well) and possbily most important depending on your level of handiness - you get no warranty. Dynatrac axles cost what they do for a reason.

None of my business but unless you're pushing 40's, have a LS/Hemi conversion, and/or play HARD in rocky environments, tons are a waste of money. :twocents:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
^^ this is very true. The only reason I am contemplating it is because I will be doing all of the work, and I also have access to parts at discount to ease the cost. I already have a PR44 front and love it, but if I go 8 lug rear I'm gonna have to ditch the PR front.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
Grubicon has a nice write up on his axle swap. Tons of fab work. He had all the tools and space to do it and the Jeep was out of commission for awhile. I still think he was 10k into his but that may have included the ORI struts. It’s been awhile since I went through his thread.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
‘05 and up already have a tone ring but there’s a lot of extra casting to cut off. Could be wrong on the tone ring. It’s been awhile since I’ve thought about it. Every 6 months or so I contemplate 40s and tons. [emoji23]

Exodus 4x4

There’s a hundred ways to do SD’s and yep, they can get pricey. Do lots, and lots, and lots of research before you go down this road. Those axles are a dime a dozen too so don’t think you’re getting a great deal and have to jump on them right now. They’ll always be available and they’ll be cheap.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Ive looked at this and concluded that it’s $8-10k if you do all the work yourself, $12k+ if you pay someone to do it. You can get a dynatrac or currie package for around $12-13k, so it really only makes sense if you have the skills, tools, time, and desire to take it on DIY. And don’t forget, beyond the axles, your looking at another $3-5k for the new wheels and tires.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Ive looked at this and concluded that it’s $8-10k if you do all the work yourself, $12k+ if you pay someone to do it. You can get a dynatrac or currie package for around $12-13k, so it really only makes sense if you have the skills, tools, time, and desire to take it on DIY. And don’t forget, beyond the axles, your looking at another $3-5k for the new wheels and tires.

This is pretty spot on.

I quoted them out through exodus jeeps out of curiosity. They build them, but again, they are not cheap all said and done. I love the idea of DIY, but even after the parts and the time it would take to do the work myself... I'ed rather opt for EVERYTHING brand new from dynatrac. :twocents:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Pretty much this. When I was pricing doing junkyards out, I was looking around 8-9k for parts and me doing the work. With 40s and hydro you can do them around the xd 60s.i ended up going with dynatracs, because I ended up finding a good deal on an xd 60 rear. I’m currently waiting on my xd front to be built.

jesse3638

Hooked
This is pretty spot on.

I quoted them out through exodus jeeps out of curiosity. They build them, but again, they are not cheap all said and done. I love the idea of DIY, but even after the parts and the time it would take to do the work myself... I'ed rather opt for EVERYTHING brand new from dynatrac. :twocents:

Installing the Dynatrack axles yourself is DIY (without much headache)...haha

Top Bottom