Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTF is with Stealerships?

Knows a Thing or Two BlackKnight's Avatar

WTF is with Stealerships?

So I'm having transmission issues going back to 20 K miles (the first CEL was starting in the wrong gear (6-speed automatic cannot start in the wrong gear, not possible), I'm currently at just over 82K). I dropped it this morning as now it's 1/3 of the time not shifting properly, and surging in between 4-5th gear and I get this back from the dealer...

"Well Mr. hood, you have an aftermarket front Dif cover that is leaking like a sieve, and we need to know who put your lift kit in? Also, the Transmission is throwing dozens of codes left and right, there is definitely something wrong, and it's not something that you would want to drive until it's fixed". I had a CEL the day I got back from vacation, then after 3 days it went away, I called the Stealership last week and today was the first opening as "my two master techs were already booked up and one is out next week on vacation".

One, I did my front diff at a local Jeep clubs Wrenchfest (there are two master mechanics in attendance when I did my changes) and it's a Poison Spyder with Lube locker gaskets. It has never leaked a drop, I know, I check it weekly. Second, the "lift" is a pair of leveling blocks (two-inch ones) in the front and I pointed that out to her.

The trans should be covered under warranty,
    However, it looks like they are going to try to get out of it because they are saying I've modified the drivetrain of the Jeep outside of OEM. This is not to mention that When I told them I had armored underneath with aftermarket skids (EVO Skids and HD Crossmember), they almost didn't want to even look at it. they asked if I modified the OEMs, and I didn't, just added more/better...

Finally, they want $650 to do a teardown, to see the condition of the transmission, and verify that the fluids aren't "fudge". If the fluids are fine then it sounds like they will cover it under warranty, else I'm out the $650 for a teardown, and then the money for a new trans...

The Dealer is a Jeep dealer here in Westborough MA where I bought it. Has anyone else local had any issues with them? What about other Stealerships??

Bob
    --
    BlackKnight -- Commando Green JKU Sport
    Mods:
    Installed: EVO Pro Series Front Bump,
    EVO rear bumper facia and "D" rings, Tow Package, SuperWinch
    Plastidip Grill/Rims,Custom Grill Inserts, Powerstop Drilled and slotted Brakes F/R, Painted Interior Accents
    In progress:

Upcoming Mods: EVO Boatside sliders

Fresh Catch
    I’m in NW Ohio myself. I guess I’ve been rather fortunate. My 2013 JKU has had a few electrical issue over the years and my dealer was very good about fixing it. Mind you, it took a few trips in and trouble shooting a few different things, but they’ve not given me any hassle. I had a CV joint on the front drive shaft go out, and replaced with no hassle. I have a 3” MOPAR Terra Flex lift. I did a bit of homework and if you go with mopar parts it keeps all the warranty requirements satisfied. I know not everyone likes TerraFlex, but I have no complaints on its performance and it keeps my warranty solid too. I also might have a more Jeep friendly dealer too though? Hard to say.
    O|||||||O

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WTF is with Stealerships?

Quote Originally Posted by TMPearson View Post
    I’m in NW Ohio myself. I guess I’ve been rather fortunate. My 2013 JKU has had a few electrical issue over the years and my dealer was very good about fixing it. Mind you, it took a few trips in and trouble shooting a few different things, but they’ve not given me any hassle. I had a CV joint on the front drive shaft go out, and replaced with no hassle. I have a 3” MOPAR Terra Flex lift. I did a bit of homework and if you go with mopar parts it keeps all the warranty requirements satisfied. I know not everyone likes TerraFlex, but I have no complaints on its performance and it keeps my warranty solid too. I also might have a more Jeep friendly dealer too though? Hard to say.
    O|||||||O

No it doesn’t keep the warranty. My buddy had a Mopar air intake and it sucked in dirt and he had to replace his motor out of pocket.

Last edited by OverlanderJK; 06-25-2018 at 01:42 PM.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37” Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5” Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40” Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post
    So I'm having transmission issues going back to 20 K miles (the first CEL was starting in the wrong gear (6-speed automatic cannot start in the wrong gear, not possible), I'm currently at just over 82K). I dropped it this morning as now it's 1/3 of the time not shifting properly, and surging in between 4-5th gear and I get this back from the dealer...

"Well Mr. hood, you have an aftermarket front Dif cover that is leaking like a sieve, and we need to know who put your lift kit in? Also, the Transmission is throwing dozens of codes left and right, there is definitely something wrong, and it's not something that you would want to drive until it's fixed". I had a CEL the day I got back from vacation, then after 3 days it went away, I called the Stealership last week and today was the first opening as "my two master techs were already booked up and one is out next week on vacation".

One, I did my front diff at a local Jeep clubs Wrenchfest (there are two master mechanics in attendance when I did my changes) and it's a Poison Spyder with Lube locker gaskets. It has never leaked a drop, I know, I check it weekly. Second, the "lift" is a pair of leveling blocks (two-inch ones) in the front and I pointed that out to her.

However, it looks like they are going to try to get out of it because they are saying I've modified the drivetrain of the Jeep outside of OEM. This is not to mention that When I told them I had armored underneath with aftermarket skids (EVO Skids and HD Crossmember), they almost didn't want to even look at it. they asked if I modified the OEMs, and I didn't, just added more/better...

Finally, they want $650 to do a teardown, to see the condition of the transmission, and verify that the fluids aren't "fudge". If the fluids are fine then it sounds like they will cover it under warranty, else I'm out the $650 for a teardown, and then the money for a new trans...

The Dealer is a Jeep dealer here in Westborough MA where I bought it. Has anyone else local had any issues with them? What about other Stealerships??

Bob
    Most dealers are going to approach the situation the way that yours did. First of all, I see no correlation between a small lift and transmission damage, however, the manufacturer may not see it that way in regards to claims. The reason they have YOU authorize teardown first is so that the bill gets paid somehow if the factory warranty declines it. Also, as far as aftermarket skid plates, if they are in the way of repairs, that is a customer pay item to remove it because the tech spends extra time on those that the warranty will not pay for if it is covered.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    No it doesn’t keep the warranty. My buddy had a Mopar air intake and it sucked in dirt and he had to replace his motor out of pocket.

That’s odd, I talked to FCA direct about this. And was guaranteed any mechanical upgrades that are mopar parts will not void any warranty on my JKU. But I don’t doubt not all places will honor this

Knows a Thing or Two trailraider's Avatar
    warranty will depend on the part # prefix.

if it starts with a "P" its branded performance part and carries 0 warranty.
    the new suspensions and various parts now have a "77" series # and these carry warranty. but FCA still does not warranty stupidity.
    Jeep- Adult version of lego

Knows a Thing or Two trailraider's Avatar
    [QUOTE=WJCO; Also, as far as aftermarket skid plates, if they are in the way of repairs, that is a customer pay item to remove it because the tech spends extra time on those that the warranty will not pay for if it is covered.[/QUOTE]

Same goes for mud.
    Jeep- Adult version of lego

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKnight View Post

Bob
    Sorry to hear this. My local dealership is very upfront and works well with my minimal mods (skid plates). They are unfortunately about 1.5 hours north of you in Claremont NH.
    I would very much doubt you would have to go though this with them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    2008 Rubicon

A couple of things. My local Jeep dealership takes great joy in coming up with ways to decline warranty work. Second... it’s true, at least here in Canada... mopar parts will not void warranty.

if it ain't broke!

Knows a Thing or Two BlackKnight's Avatar
    So here is an update, After $715 bill, for "take out charge" the dealer claims to have reprogrammed the transmission and flashed it with the latest firmware, and claimed it fixed, but also included that the transmission is not detective, and it was the change in the size of tires (29"s are stock, 32"s were put on) and that it was that which was causing my issues. I pointed out that the issue was happening before the tire change.

When I pulled it out of the dealer's lot on Monday the issue happened again. I pulled it in and after telling them if I shut it off and take it out of gear that the issue will go away, they insisted I do so. Then 20 minutes later the road test couldn't replicate so they sent me home with it telling me if it happens again bring it right away and the mechanic will road test again. It happened yesterday and upon getting to the dealer they wanted me to shut it off again. I argued and this time waited in my Jeep till the mechanic came out for the test drive and noted that there is a major issue that they didn't address.

However also on the test, in discussing things with the mechanic he kind of let it slip. Though they charged me for a takeout, they never removed the transmission, all they did was hooked up and flash/reprogram it and then flushed and changed the trans oil. It was there for 3 working days, so clearly hey sandbagged the time figuring it was a quick fix, and they grossly overcharged me. and now it's back there...
    --
    BlackKnight -- Commando Green JKU Sport
    Mods:
    Installed: EVO Pro Series Front Bump,
    EVO rear bumper facia and "D" rings, Tow Package, SuperWinch
    Plastidip Grill/Rims,Custom Grill Inserts, Powerstop Drilled and slotted Brakes F/R, Painted Interior Accents
    In progress:

Upcoming Mods: EVO Boatside sliders

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast