WTF is with Stealerships?

BlackKnight

So I'm having transmission issues going back to 20 K miles (the first CEL was starting in the wrong gear (6-speed automatic cannot start in the wrong gear, not possible), I'm currently at just over 82K). I dropped it this morning as now it's 1/3 of the time not shifting properly, and surging in between 4-5th gear and I get this back from the dealer...

"Well Mr. hood, you have an aftermarket front Dif cover that is leaking like a sieve, and we need to know who put your lift kit in? Also, the Transmission is throwing dozens of codes left and right, there is definitely something wrong, and it's not something that you would want to drive until it's fixed". I had a CEL the day I got back from vacation, then after 3 days it went away, I called the Stealership last week and today was the first opening as "my two master techs were already booked up and one is out next week on vacation".

One, I did my front diff at a local Jeep clubs Wrenchfest (there are two master mechanics in attendance when I did my changes) and it's a Poison Spyder with Lube locker gaskets. It has never leaked a drop, I know, I check it weekly. Second, the "lift" is a pair of leveling blocks (two-inch ones) in the front and I pointed that out to her.

The trans should be covered under warranty,
However, it looks like they are going to try to get out of it because they are saying I've modified the drivetrain of the Jeep outside of OEM. This is not to mention that When I told them I had armored underneath with aftermarket skids (EVO Skids and HD Crossmember), they almost didn't want to even look at it. they asked if I modified the OEMs, and I didn't, just added more/better...

Finally, they want $650 to do a teardown, to see the condition of the transmission, and verify that the fluids aren't "fudge". If the fluids are fine then it sounds like they will cover it under warranty, else I'm out the $650 for a teardown, and then the money for a new trans...

The Dealer is a Jeep dealer here in Westborough MA where I bought it. Has anyone else local had any issues with them? What about other Stealerships??

Bob

TMPearson

I’m in NW Ohio myself. I guess I’ve been rather fortunate. My 2013 JKU has had a few electrical issue over the years and my dealer was very good about fixing it. Mind you, it took a few trips in and trouble shooting a few different things, but they’ve not given me any hassle. I had a CV joint on the front drive shaft go out, and replaced with no hassle. I have a 3” MOPAR Terra Flex lift. I did a bit of homework and if you go with mopar parts it keeps all the warranty requirements satisfied. I know not everyone likes TerraFlex, but I have no complaints on its performance and it keeps my warranty solid too. I also might have a more Jeep friendly dealer too though? Hard to say.
O|||||||O

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’m in NW Ohio myself. I guess I’ve been rather fortunate. My 2013 JKU has had a few electrical issue over the years and my dealer was very good about fixing it. Mind you, it took a few trips in and trouble shooting a few different things, but they’ve not given me any hassle. I had a CV joint on the front drive shaft go out, and replaced with no hassle. I have a 3” MOPAR Terra Flex lift. I did a bit of homework and if you go with mopar parts it keeps all the warranty requirements satisfied. I know not everyone likes TerraFlex, but I have no complaints on its performance and it keeps my warranty solid too. I also might have a more Jeep friendly dealer too though? Hard to say.
O|||||||O

No it doesn’t keep the warranty. My buddy had a Mopar air intake and it sucked in dirt and he had to replace his motor out of pocket.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
So I'm having transmission issues going back to 20 K miles (the first CEL was starting in the wrong gear (6-speed automatic cannot start in the wrong gear, not possible), I'm currently at just over 82K). I dropped it this morning as now it's 1/3 of the time not shifting properly, and surging in between 4-5th gear and I get this back from the dealer...

"Well Mr. hood, you have an aftermarket front Dif cover that is leaking like a sieve, and we need to know who put your lift kit in? Also, the Transmission is throwing dozens of codes left and right, there is definitely something wrong, and it's not something that you would want to drive until it's fixed". I had a CEL the day I got back from vacation, then after 3 days it went away, I called the Stealership last week and today was the first opening as "my two master techs were already booked up and one is out next week on vacation".

One, I did my front diff at a local Jeep clubs Wrenchfest (there are two master mechanics in attendance when I did my changes) and it's a Poison Spyder with Lube locker gaskets. It has never leaked a drop, I know, I check it weekly. Second, the "lift" is a pair of leveling blocks (two-inch ones) in the front and I pointed that out to her.

However, it looks like they are going to try to get out of it because they are saying I've modified the drivetrain of the Jeep outside of OEM. This is not to mention that When I told them I had armored underneath with aftermarket skids (EVO Skids and HD Crossmember), they almost didn't want to even look at it. they asked if I modified the OEMs, and I didn't, just added more/better...

Finally, they want $650 to do a teardown, to see the condition of the transmission, and verify that the fluids aren't "fudge". If the fluids are fine then it sounds like they will cover it under warranty, else I'm out the $650 for a teardown, and then the money for a new trans...

The Dealer is a Jeep dealer here in Westborough MA where I bought it. Has anyone else local had any issues with them? What about other Stealerships??

Bob

Most dealers are going to approach the situation the way that yours did. First of all, I see no correlation between a small lift and transmission damage, however, the manufacturer may not see it that way in regards to claims. The reason they have YOU authorize teardown first is so that the bill gets paid somehow if the factory warranty declines it. Also, as far as aftermarket skid plates, if they are in the way of repairs, that is a customer pay item to remove it because the tech spends extra time on those that the warranty will not pay for if it is covered.

TMPearson

No it doesn’t keep the warranty. My buddy had a Mopar air intake and it sucked in dirt and he had to replace his motor out of pocket.

That’s odd, I talked to FCA direct about this. And was guaranteed any mechanical upgrades that are mopar parts will not void any warranty on my JKU. But I don’t doubt not all places will honor this

trailraider

warranty will depend on the part # prefix.

if it starts with a "P" its branded performance part and carries 0 warranty.
the new suspensions and various parts now have a "77" series # and these carry warranty. but FCA still does not warranty stupidity.

BobNH

Bob
Sorry to hear this. My local dealership is very upfront and works well with my minimal mods (skid plates). They are unfortunately about 1.5 hours north of you in Claremont NH.
I would very much doubt you would have to go though this with them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Gbint

A couple of things. My local Jeep dealership takes great joy in coming up with ways to decline warranty work. Second... it’s true, at least here in Canada... mopar parts will not void warranty.

BlackKnight

So here is an update, After $715 bill, for "take out charge" the dealer claims to have reprogrammed the transmission and flashed it with the latest firmware, and claimed it fixed, but also included that the transmission is not detective, and it was the change in the size of tires (29"s are stock, 32"s were put on) and that it was that which was causing my issues. I pointed out that the issue was happening before the tire change.

When I pulled it out of the dealer's lot on Monday the issue happened again. I pulled it in and after telling them if I shut it off and take it out of gear that the issue will go away, they insisted I do so. Then 20 minutes later the road test couldn't replicate so they sent me home with it telling me if it happens again bring it right away and the mechanic will road test again. It happened yesterday and upon getting to the dealer they wanted me to shut it off again. I argued and this time waited in my Jeep till the mechanic came out for the test drive and noted that there is a major issue that they didn't address.

However also on the test, in discussing things with the mechanic he kind of let it slip. Though they charged me for a takeout, they never removed the transmission, all they did was hooked up and flash/reprogram it and then flushed and changed the trans oil. It was there for 3 working days, so clearly hey sandbagged the time figuring it was a quick fix, and they grossly overcharged me. and now it's back there...

mattfl

However also on the test, in discussing things with the mechanic he kind of let it slip. Though they charged me for a takeout, they never removed the transmission, all they did was hooked up and flash/reprogram it and then flushed and changed the trans oil. It was there for 3 working days, so clearly hey sandbagged the time figuring it was a quick fix, and they grossly overcharged me. and now it's back there...

Armed with this new information you went right to the dealerships manager and let him know about this right and also called up Jeep Corporate and let them know this as well?

loganokeefe72

Back around April I hyrdolocked my engine and the dealership did all the work on it. Well first off it took 3 weeks for them to touch it because everyone there but the service manager has 1/8th of a brain. So they fix what they were supposed to and in the process broke my mirror and messed up the wiring to the turn signals, horn, and windshield washer pump. Now my radio and compass dont work. So I take it in they dont give me a hassle this time and "fix it" well 2 and a half weeks later I get it back and the only thing fixed was the mirror. So now I'm super pissed. That's my stealership story, if that counts, more of how the f$cked me lol. But anyone have any advice for me. My boss says I should just get rid of it now before anything else happens but I was thinking of just getting all new wiring and replace it all. I've found most of the wiring for pretty cheap. What do yall think?

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

New Update!

It went back to then. Somehow miraculously another Jeep JK showed with the same symptoms, and they changed out the valve body, as it was "sticking" (based on the other Jeep diagnosis). That was last week, I received a call, they changed out the valve body, and no effect. They are now changing in a whole brand new Transmission.

That said, when I next go in, I'm going to ask for the takeout charge refund, I'll allow them a $120 charge for the skid removal, but the rest of the 715 should be refunded.

Bob

BlackKnight

Another update. The Dealer ordered a new transmission from chrysler, after replacing the valvebody (showed damage). Shrtlyafter getting notified by the dealer that they ordered the transmission, they called me back (three days later) that 1. Chrysler had stopped the shipment, 2 they claimed that the "variation of tiresize from left and right front and back was the cause of the transmission fault. Thus a User issue, and they require that I buy new OEM tires (OEM Size and quality). So they want me to buy a $1000 in new tires to check to see if the transmission is still broken.

So I spent an hour yesterday on the phone, now with Chrysler, Going over the fatal flaws with thier argument(s). The variation is tire sizes left right front and back are due to uneven wear. I had rotated the tires (5 wheel rotation) just a couple hundred miles before the Jeep was dropped at the Dealer.

1st fatal flaw, Varience left to right: 1 tires are wear compunents. they are designed to wear out, better the tread than other internal components. Also, between the tires and transmission there are several components that would have unusuall wear before any effect would have transferedto the transmission. First the Differentials, they are designed to compensate for varaitions of tires rolling in straight lines and arround corners. they are limited slip diferentials. no different in left to right tire size variation would ever make it past the differential as it's designed to compensate for those variaitions.

2nd fatal flaw, tire variations in size front to rear: Part one, the front and real axles have anothe component between them and the transmission, the transfer case. The transfer case has dual outputs (the drive shafts) and a singular input of power (transmission). so any varaition would hit the transfer case and cause undue wear on it. None has been found. Part two is the model and trim level of my wrangler is a sport. Sports are rear wheel drive unless shifted into 4. 99.5% of the time my Jeep is in rear wheel drive as its my daily driver, and only ever sees 4wd (high) on snow/ice, and class V roads, 4Low only offroad on loose dirt/sand/rocks where low gears are needed. So Any variation front to rear would only ever affect the transfer case, nothing passed to the transmission, and 99.5% would not have any possible effect on the transfercase, let alone the transmission.

Last fatal flaw, they are implying that this issue is because of the tires I have on the Jeep. I pointed out that the first CEL (and limp mode engadged) was at 14K about a year after getting the Jeep. Back when it was 100% stock and on the OEM tires. The issue started happeneing back then, but was only every 10-20K miles, but as of about 80K it's much much more regular, more like every 3-4 starts. The "new" tires have been on since 64K when the old ones would no longer pass inspection, the issues with the transmission goes all the way back to 14K well before the tire change.

So after hearing my argument, I totally won over the engineer and the customer service rep on the line, and they told me that they would escalate and likely push that the transmission get sent to the dealer for replacement under warentee. So one can hope that it will be answered soon, I should hear today one way or the other.

Jesus Christ.... you must have a hell of a lot of patience to deal with that bullshit. I would have lost my shit, “you have just set back the repair of my vehicle because you wanted to argue with me?! Send me a replacement for the broken part to your dealership for the repair so I can have my very expensive vehicle back on the road” with a lot more 4 letter words sprinkled in. Good luck, hope you don’t need a lawyer to get your warranty honored

Zstairlessone

With open diffs you can put a 32” and 34” tire on an axle and survive, certainly without damaging the transmission. As long as you are in 2 wheel drive the spinning front driveshaft isn’t connected to the transmission, and again off tire size isn’t a killer (but you will wear the heck out of your spiders, and really heat up your gear oil) so if you decide to put ‘Kill it with Fire’ odd size tires on it to impress the ladies, be prepared...

jorgelrod

Hooked
Lost all faith on dealerships

Took my car for the ticking it had, it had stopped dung it a while a go but I figured I'd take it anyway. Had a,little bit of oil around the tranny inspection ports that I couldn't figure out it was coming from so I said please check the main seal to make sure it's not leaking.

Today they call me to tell me it was ready, that they couldn't hear the tick and that it was the rear right axle seal that was leaking and was replaced. So I'm here wondering what the fuck is she talking about, seems like when she was copying from the sheet I signed that the full by hand to the computer she put rear pinion seal instead of rear main seal...

Top Bottom