Thread: Awful MPG

Awful MPG

Okay so this isnít about my Jeep, but after I got it I found out that itís getting slightly better gas mileage than my 2002 3.4 L Impala. I have no clue why that is. The car should get around 20 MPG but itís been getting 14 recently. I assumed this was due to just stop and go traffic, but I did the same driving in the Jeep and got the same MPG when I thought it would be worse since ya know, itís a Jeep. Are there any suggestions as to why my gas mileage is so terrible? Iíve checked the air filter and itís clean, and it doesnít sound like thereís a misfire, Iím going to check if the spark plugs are creating a blue spark by hooking it up to my lawn mower, (is that okay to do by the way?) Iíve checked for any leaks and I havenít noticed any from the gas tank, Iím going to get someone to trail me and Iíll floor it and see if any is getting thrown out but this has me stumped. Sorry this isnít a Jeep question and is instead just a maintenance question in general, but yíall are always helpful here

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Ernie View Post
    Okay so this isnít about my Jeep, but after I got it I found out that itís getting slightly better gas mileage than my 2002 3.4 L Impala. I have no clue why that is. The car should get around 20 MPG but itís been getting 14 recently. I assumed this was due to just stop and go traffic, but I did the same driving in the Jeep and got the same MPG when I thought it would be worse since ya know, itís a Jeep. Are there any suggestions as to why my gas mileage is so terrible? Iíve checked the air filter and itís clean, and it doesnít sound like thereís a misfire, Iím going to check if the spark plugs are creating a blue spark by hooking it up to my lawn mower, (is that okay to do by the way?) Iíve checked for any leaks and I havenít noticed any from the gas tank, Iím going to get someone to trail me and Iíll floor it and see if any is getting thrown out but this has me stumped. Sorry this isnít a Jeep question and is instead just a maintenance question in general, but yíall are always helpful here

Maybe it's because you're driving a piece of shit Chevy.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainjk10 View Post

See, always helpful.

Sent from my SM-J727V using WAYALIFE mobile app

20" Blades on dat Impala?

Quote Originally Posted by DWiggles View Post
    20" Blades on dat Impala?
    Call her, gettin' laid tonight....
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Thatís probably it. I hate how awful they designed it.

Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Ernie View Post
    Thatís probably it. I hate how awful they designed it.

Actually, didn't Chevy have to payout in a lawsuit because they lied about mpgs their vehicles get? I know a friend of mine was cut a check to make up for the difference in mpg that chevy lied about.

Nothing but a Thing
    My initial thoughts are plugged cat or bad o2 sensor causing an over rich condition? Maybe get an emissions test done?

14mpg is off the scale for that model: http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/impala/2002
    Last edited by zimm; 06-24-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    My initial thoughts are plugged cat or bad o2 sensor causing an over rich condition? Maybe get an emissions test done?

14mpg is off the scale for that model: http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/impala/2002
    Iím checking the throttle body today. Iíll clean it off.