Driveway Axle Swap

phillypete

I am in the process of purchasing a new front axle to replace the stock Dana 30. I also love doing most of my own wrenching.

So my first question is how terrible will it be to swap in a crate axle without a lift?

If it’s moderately do-able what sort equipment (aside from typical wrenches and jack stands) will I need to get the job done?

Thanks!

J

JKDream

I am in the process of purchasing a new front axle to replace the stock Dana 30. I also love doing most of my own wrenching.

So my first question is how terrible will it be to swap in a crate axle without a lift?

If it’s moderately do-able what sort equipment (aside from typical wrenches and jack stands) will I need to get the job done?

Thanks!

It's doable, I've swapped three different front axles in mine in driveways.
Get a good floor jack, and ratchet straps to position the axle for the control arms.
I'd probably recommend having an impact as well, it makes life a lot easier.
Other than some sockets/wrenches, and a hammer, I can't think of anything else you really need.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I did my axle swap with a floor jack and a skateboard. Typical tools will cover it. The hardest thing for me was figuring out how to unplug the abs wires on top of the frame rail.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

The hardest thing for me was figuring out how to unplug the abs wires on top of the frame rail.

This was a huge pain in the ass for me too, I spent close to an hour the first time trying to go through the wheel well before I realized it's way more accessible underneath.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
It's definitely doable. I second the impact gun as it will make things go a lot quicker. I bought a Milwaukee 1/2" and it worked out great. A extra floor jack is helpful too. Make a list of all the socket sizes you'll need so you don't have to send your wife to the autozone during install. I'm speaking from experience here, lol.

jjsmail

It's definitely doable. I second the impact gun as it will make things go a lot quicker. I bought a Milwaukee 1/2" and it worked out great. A extra floor jack is helpful too. Make a list of all the socket sizes you'll need so you don't have to send your wife to the autozone during install. I'm speaking from experience here, lol.

I agree with the Milwaukee Fuel 1/2”. That thing is a huge time saver. Also great tool to have on the trails.

I do all my work in my driveway so that definitely not an issue. And it won’t take too long. Should be able to do it in a half a day.

WJCO

Meme King
Agreed with all. Jack the vehicle up as high as you can to make sure you have a lot of room underneath.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Agreed with all. Jack the vehicle up as high as you can to make sure you have a lot of room underneath.

Harbor freight has some nice tall jackstands for a pretty reasonable price to make it a little easier.

Robertcrav

In addition to what everyone else has said, I made a crude axle dolly using a Harbor Freight furniture dolly and some 2x4s...very doable

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dillard09

One floor jack is a must but 2 makes it easier. The tall floor stands def help when you can have the jeep up high. Then just the normal things like sockets and end wrenches. Are you swapping the pinion yokes on the axles? If so those are tight as hell!! Must have super long breaker bar and cheater or a hellavu impact for that.

jesse3638

Hooked

Harbor freight has some nice tall jackstands for a pretty reasonable price to make it a little easier.

Agreed. Please, Please make sure you use jackstands and chock both sides of the rear tires.

One floor jack is a must but 2 makes it easier. The tall floor stands def help when you can have the jeep up high. Then just the normal things like sockets and end wrenches. Are you swapping the pinion yokes on the axles? If so those are tight as hell!! Must have super long breaker bar and cheater or a hellavu impact for that.

^^^All of this^^^

I used the HF jack stands to raise the Jeep up high. Once on them I shook the shit out of it with the tires still on to see if it would fall. Was really solid. Mind you I had all 4 off the ground. I used to small jack stands to support the axle. Two floor jacks is nice to have as mentioned and a creeper will help you slide it around under there. Very doable.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Agree with pretty much all of above. Get a couple harborfreight furniture dollies like someone above said. They are like $10 each you you can move it easily by yourself. I just swapped in my third set of axles by myself in my garage using those dollies, many floor Jack's, ratchet straps, and a Milwaukee fuel impact. I have so really tall jack stands to get it way up there but normal HF 6 ton ones go up quite a ways as well

20180224_124148.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

critter812

Agree with pretty much all of above. Get a couple harborfreight furniture dollies like someone above said. They are like $10 each you you can move it easily by yourself. I just swapped in my third set of axles by myself in my garage using those dollies, many floor Jack's, ratchet straps, and a Milwaukee fuel impact. I have so really tall jack stands to get it way up there but normal HF 6 ton ones go up quite a ways as well

View attachment 304335

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app
What brand are those jack stands?

Top Bottom