Great, a new annoying sound Help diagnosing

DogHouse

Can anybody give me any pointers on what the hell this might be? I was planning on heading out to a state park today and now I don't know if I want to risk it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYhQ_xS8O9E

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Update, it stops doing it after the engine warms up.

Does the rhythm change when you give the engine throttle or is it constant? I ask because mine has a small exhaust leak that sounds similar and goes away once the exhaust manifold is warmed up and swollen.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Just got in and got under the jeep, it looks to be coming from the air compressor area. No soot or air pressure feeling under the jeep that might point to exhaust leak.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Went to the Mechanic that I take my wife's car, he said lifters too, This morning it wasn't sounding at all, should I take to the dealership and see if they find it? if it is lifter it should be covered under powertrain right?

WJCO

Meme King
Went to the Mechanic that I take my wife's car, he said lifters too, This morning it wasn't sounding at all, should I take to the dealership and see if they find it? if it is lifter it should be covered under powertrain right?

If you are within the Powertrain warranty time/miles, it should be covered.

jorgelrod

Hooked
STOOPID JEEP stopped making the noise, of course it would stop making it since I plan on taking it to the stealership...

jeeeep

Hooked
check for cracked manifold early in the AM - -open the hood and have someone else start it up.

I found it easier to see the exhaust after it's sat and on 1st morning start.

A cracked manifold makes the lifters louder.

Also easy to remove the manifold shields and look for the crack - chances are it's the driver side manifold towards the firewall side

jorgelrod

Hooked
STOOPID JEEP stopped making the noise, of course it would stop making it since I plan on taking it to the stealership...

Turns out it didn't stop making the sound, it is just muffled under the engine cover. I could hear it clearly this morning after I took it out to clean it. Definitely a tick from a lifter, gonna have to schedule a visit to the dealership to have it checked and replaced.

Top Bottom