Dynatrac width questions.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I know quite a few people on here are running dynatracs. Has anyone had problems with 40s and the 68.5” width? Did you go wider? My rear is 68.5, was considering having the front done in 71.5 and running spacers in the rear.

Other questions has anyone don’t outboard coilovers? One of the reason why I’m looking to go wider. As well as I eventually want to fit 42s.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I currently have the 72.5 with dynatracs I just installed. Prior to that I had ud60s at 69. With the UDs even at 3.5bs wheels in 40s i rubbed a lot. Part of that was due to the bigger knuckles and larger swing due to pivot point being in further. With the 72.5 I was able to run deeper bs wheels and tighter scrub radius. Its noticeable immediately. If 42s are in your plan I'd definitely go wider. I'd do 72.5 though. Dynatrac now makes 68.5 and 72.5 as their "standard" widths. I am sure theyd do 71.5 but it would likely cost more due to custom shafts etc.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know quite a few people on here are running dynatracs. Has anyone had problems with 40s and the 68.5” width? Did you go wider? My rear is 68.5, was considering having the front done in 71.5 and running spacers in the rear.

I have been and I'm still running 40's with 68.5" on Moby now. I should note that I'm doing this with Chamber Pro II's that have 4" of back spacing. I would ONLY go wider IF I were going to run wheels with MORE back spacing. Back in the day, I used to run 20" Slabs with 15.50 wide tires and that put my total width to 88". There are disadvantages in going too wide and that's why I run what I run now.

Other questions has anyone don’t outboard coilovers? One of the reason why I’m looking to go wider. As well as I eventually want to fit 42s.

If you're cool with cutting into your tub, outboard coilovers can be done but I haven't seen the benefits of it. Likewise, 42's may look cool but I haven't seen any real benefits of them either. If there were, I'd be running them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I currently have the 72.5 with dynatracs I just installed. Prior to that I had ud60s at 69. With the UDs even at 3.5bs wheels in 40s i rubbed a lot. Part of that was due to the bigger knuckles and larger swing due to pivot point being in further. With the 72.5 I was able to run deeper bs wheels and tighter scrub radius. Its noticeable immediately. If 42s are in your plan I'd definitely go wider. I'd do 72.5 though. Dynatrac now makes 68.5 and 72.5 as their "standard" widths. I am sure theyd do 71.5 but it would likely cost more due to custom shafts etc.

Yup. Custom shafts and even the thought of running spacers with tires so big would be enough to keep me from doing this.

SDG

Caught the Bug

42s? Can't get into enough trouble with 40's? What are you going to push them with? 40s with a 3.6 is already a dog with 5.38... just my 2c.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

duktrx

I was looking at the gearing table last night and thought who runs larger than 40s. Next thought was would need LS or 5.9 Cummins, to turn them.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
42s? Can't get into enough trouble with 40's? What are you going to push them with? 40s with a 3.6 is already a dog with 5.38... just my 2c.

Eventually do an Ls. I think it’s more for the “cool” and big as hell. Lol I am wanting more belly height though. The trail local to me it would help. But I’ll see how I do with 40s

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I have been and I'm still running 40's with 68.5" on Moby now. I should note that I'm doing this with Chamber Pro II's that have 4" of back spacing. I would ONLY go wider IF I were going to run wheels with MORE back spacing. Back in the day, I used to run 20" Slabs with 15.50 wide tires and that put my total width to 88". There are disadvantages in going too wide and that's why I run what I run now.

If you're cool with cutting into your tub, outboard coilovers can be done but I haven't seen the benefits of it. Likewise, 42's may look cool but I haven't seen any real benefits of them either. If there were, I'd be running them.

I figured I’d be fine. Had a feeling you were running 68.5” dynatracs. I have slabs, so they stick out a bit. I believe I measured 88” with slabs and my 37” nittos. 40s would probably put me at 90 ish. I’m the same width as my buddy with 71” with 5” backspaced trail readys

40s will look good enough for the cool factor

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I figured I’d be fine. Had a feeling you were running 68.5” dynatracs. I have slabs, so they stick out a bit. I believe I measured 88” with slabs and my 37” nittos. 40s would probably put me at 90 ish. I’m the same width as my buddy with 71” with 5” backspaced trail readys

eh, I seriouly doubt you're running 88" now. I've run 40x13.50's on Slabs and narrowed up to almost 84". 90ish would just be stupid and you wouldn't even be able to run trails like the Dusy. Honestly, going wide on your axle is only something I'd do if you were planning on running wheels with MORE back spacing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why is everyone wanting to run 42s? I think 40s would be more than enough for any trail....

Way back when 42's first started becoming a thing, guys like Mel from EVO jumped right on it. After wheeling with them for a time, he went back to 40's.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I haven’t driven my Jeep much after getting the 40’s on, but enough to know that 42’s on the stock engine would suck. Not sure what trails your wheeling that you need 42’s, but maybe you should consider a buggy.

Top Bottom