Love the bumper, but...

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
I've known about LOD for a long time and finally had the right reasons to make a purchase recently on a new destroyer front bumper for my JK. I know LOD and Eddie go way back so I've read plenty about them over the years and they have always had nothing but a stellar reputation on here and other forums.

I received my Destroyer bumper a couple weeks ago and after a few days unboxed it to start thinking about installation. I was pretty bummed when I immediately saw large spots that look like rattle can spray over some large scratches in the bumper. I took a look at the mountain of foam in the box to ensure this wasn't a shipping problem, but I can't see anything that would have caused it. The box was in good shape and the bumper is fairly small so its not even all that heavy. I can only surmise that this happened at the factory and was overlooked.

I reached out to Chris @ LOD and after about a week I was finally given a response that offered the option of sending it back, they would refinish and reship it to me (presumably at my expense on shipping) - this isn't an ideal option because the bumper is so well packed in foam you can't really put the foam back together. Once opened the shipping materials are pretty much done.

It's still a fair thing to ask, but it was scant on details (like where to ship it to) but the problem I have is I need a bumper and I don't want to wait several more weeks for one. I responded asking if I had any other options, including perhaps a discount so that I can just have it sandblasted and re-powder coated myself later and just keep the defective one for now. I haven't received a single response to that or even what to do if I want to exercise the original proposal. So I'm stuck and I'm still bumperless.

At this juncture I really only have one option and that's take it up with Visa, but I really have to go through that hassle because I do like the product. I guess I'm not expecting anything here either, but I thought I would share my experience because despite all the great things that have been said I had a pretty poor experience dealing with LOD direct. Next time I'll just buy through a reseller and that way I can take it up with them.

If they do happen to read here ever, I'd love to get a response...

TrailHunter

Hooked
I see your frustration, but Is it really worth all that? In reality isn't any bumper or armor for that matter going to develop scuff marks, scratches, and rust spots over time any way.... which in turn would require rattle can touch up. My EVO bumper came with a couple bad spots (from shipping) and after a quick spray of flat black they basically disappeared. I figure I'll be hitting my bumpers and sliders at least once a year with some flat black.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I can understand your frustration as well, but like TrailHunter said you’re probably going to develop scratches at some time. But if it’s very noticeable, and it’s brand new it should be close to perfect if you’re paying full price for it. With all the hassle of shipping it may be best to try and work out a reasonable discount or something.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Not where these scratches are (on top, I have pictures but doesn't really matter that much) - I hear what you're saying, but my expectation is I spend $900 for a bumper with a finish and the finish should be right. If this was any vendor and not the mfg direct this would have been a no questions asked, make it right kind of thing. This is why I thought my offer for a small discount was fair and I'll just fix it later, because ultimately its just cosmetic. Honestly, I was mostly disappointed that they didn't really make any effort to communicate. Calls and emails not returned was just shocking to me after what a good reputation they have on here.

Torrin

Talk to LoD about logistics, maybe they will pay for the shipping? If not, I would not find that acceptable and I would see if I could return it. If you have pictures documenting the damage before the bumper was installed, I think LoD will do the right thing. I would try to talk to them on the phone as well. Email is terrible for this sort of conversation.

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Maybe see if they can hook you up on a percentage off another product?? Save you both some hassle. I can also see the frustration of spending your hard earned money on something then it showing up with some scuffs... but than again are the big enough to worry about when you’re gonna get many more???

I've known about LOD for a long time and finally had the right reasons to make a purchase recently on a new destroyer front bumper for my JK. I know LOD and Eddie go way back so I've read plenty about them over the years and they have always had nothing but a stellar reputation on here and other forums.

I received my Destroyer bumper a couple weeks ago and after a few days unboxed it to start thinking about installation. I was pretty bummed when I immediately saw large spots that look like rattle can spray over some large scratches in the bumper. I took a look at the mountain of foam in the box to ensure this wasn't a shipping problem, but I can't see anything that would have caused it. The box was in good shape and the bumper is fairly small so its not even all that heavy. I can only surmise that this happened at the factory and was overlooked.

I reached out to Chris @ LOD and after about a week I was finally given a response that offered the option of sending it back, they would refinish and reship it to me (presumably at my expense on shipping) - this isn't an ideal option because the bumper is so well packed in foam you can't really put the foam back together. Once opened the shipping materials are pretty much done.

It's still a fair thing to ask, but it was scant on details (like where to ship it to) but the problem I have is I need a bumper and I don't want to wait several more weeks for one. I responded asking if I had any other options, including perhaps a discount so that I can just have it sandblasted and re-powder coated myself later and just keep the defective one for now. I haven't received a single response to that or even what to do if I want to exercise the original proposal. So I'm stuck and I'm still bumperless.

At this juncture I really only have one option and that's take it up with Visa, but I really have to go through that hassle because I do like the product. I guess I'm not expecting anything here either, but I thought I would share my experience because despite all the great things that have been said I had a pretty poor experience dealing with LOD direct. Next time I'll just buy through a reseller and that way I can take it up with them.

If they do happen to read here ever, I'd love to get a response...

Please give us a call, I apologize if we missed your email, we get thousands per day so please call us and we can help you with anything you need. We do not touch up paint with rattle cans so appearently our Powder Coater got something by our shipping dept, give us a call and we will make sure you are taken care of and will get you a replacement.

LoD
765-385-6631

LōD Offroad;1056686 said:
Please give us a call, I apologize if we missed your email, we get thousands per day so please call us and we can help you with anything you need. We do not touch up paint with rattle cans so appearently our Powder Coater got something by our shipping dept, give us a call and we will make sure you are taken care of and will get you a replacement.

LoD
765-385-6631

Sorry miss typed the phone #

765-385-0631

HammermanJKUR

That’s why a lot of companies don’t like to powder their stuff before they send it, especially in higher quantities. It’s hard to keep up on QC when another company comes into play.

I’m lucky enough to have a guy right down the road from me that runs textured black everyday so I just get my stuff raw and have him do it for me.

But if you paid for it to be powdered I’d want it to look good too.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Bummer that you received the bumper with scratches. It sounds like LOD is going to take care of you. I got nothing but good things to say about my LOD rear bumper and tire carrier.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
My LOD bumper came with a few scratches as well. Oh wait no that’s the remnants of the Mercedes I nearly took out.

IMG_0740.jpg

Still shocked how well the bumper and stinger held up!!

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

LoD
765-385-6631

As others have said, thanks for responding - I felt pretty helpless that I was being ignored and was truly hoping it was as simple as a communications hiccup. I'll reach out to you tomorrow by phone and surely we can figure it out. I'm really stoked to have this bumper on and functioning - it will be a great improvement over what I had!

wjtstudios

Hooked
For what it’s worth, I always buy my parts directly from the guys who build them. I try to order it over the phone when they let me. That way you have a contact there that you can go back to if something is not right. Emails get lost or overlooked.

I’m glad LOD is working things out with you.

Tjjeepguy

LoD
765-385-6631

Lol they rattle can stuff all the time using rustoleum truck bed coating or using foam brushs with roll on paint. Ive talked to a member of the packaging dept. and he sent me plenty of pics of them with foam brushs and roll on paint to touch up any of there powder, amazing how theyll just lie to you or blame there own powder company for there own faults.

A.J.

Lol they rattle can stuff all the time using rustoleum truck bed coating or using foam brushs with roll on paint. Ive talked to a member of the packaging dept. and he sent me plenty of pics of them with foam brushs and roll on paint to touch up any of there powder, amazing how theyll just lie to you or blame there own powder company for there own faults.

Nice first post. Welcome to Wayalife.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked

Well hell then you have all those pictures why not share???? I must have just got lucky that mine were in great condition when I got them and still are 7 years later. Welcome and great start!!!:naw:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Welcome?

Top Bottom