Government Jeeps

Tanktitan

Since the concept of our Jeeps started out as Government Property vehicles for war, I thought it might be interesting to keep up with what the US Military has in mind for future such vehicles.

Recently DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, has unveiled prototypes of their Radically Enhanced Mobility vehicles that have wheels that convert from round to tracks in less than 2 minutes. I would love to take that to Moab.

IMG_0061.jpg

Further info, including a video of it in action can be seen at Popular Mechanics online: https://www.popularmechanics.com/mi.../?src=nl&mag=pop&list=nl_pnl_news&date=062618

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

I love the idea, however, being a mechanic in the army, this type of tech will rarely be seen if ever in “normal” units. Maybe specialized or spec ops units, and I loosely use the word maybe. They just went through designing an entire new vehicle to replace the hummve’s, so I highly doubt they are going to dish out even more money to upgrade vehicles that are being phased out. (Only saying this part because they have those wheels on a hummve) but those wheels and that second vehicles suspension system are down right bad ass!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

I can't even begin to imagine all the things that could go wrong with this, but it is an interesting idea.

I noticed that they were only on the rear. Granted it is a demonstration, but I wonder how the belts handle side loading during turns. It would be inconvenient to throw the belts while trying to outrun the bad guys

Top Bottom