NO MORE SLOP in MOBY's SHAFT - New Custom 1350 Front Drive Shaft

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In spite of what so many people seem to think, there can a down side to really big flex and that would be, driveline bind. In other words, if you let your axle droop too much, your drive shaft will no longer be able to spin freely and while this can be addressed with limiting straps, we haven't been running any on Moby for a while now or at least, not up front anyway. Needless to say, after thousands of hard miles and years of abuse, I found that his front shaft had finally worn out and to the point where it needed to be replaced. Of course, a good 1350 drive shaft can cost well over $600 or more and being that Moby needed a custom length, I decided to look for a local shop to help me out.

After doing some looking online and making a few calls, I headed out to a shop in Sparks, NV called Driveline and Gear Service and as luck would have it, they were able to help me out. Even better, they were able to make a new shaft with the specifications I needed, using made in the USA Neapco U-joints AND if you can believe it, all for just $369!

It may not have any fancy paint job or sticker on it but here's a shot of what Moby's new front drive shaft looks like.
20180627140828-f0b0c97b-me.jpg

Here's a shot of Moby getting racked up and with the support of his family nearby.
20180627140822-5bab81d3-me.jpg

And finally, here are a couple of shots of what the shaft looks like installed.
20180627140830-cd70ef09-me.jpg

No more slop in Moby's front shaft.
20180627140819-908c12c5-me.jpg

I get people asking me all the time, what drive shaft they should get? And, as I often say, give your local driveline shop a call. You just might be surprised at what they can do for you. :cool:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Nice shaft, looks quality [emoji106].

I can see those are Evo control arms. They look beefey as hell, and even have the skids on them. Are those totally custom made just for Moby?

jesse3638

Hooked
In spite of what so many people seem to think, there can a down side to really big flex and that would be, driveline bind. In other words, if you let your axle droop too much, your drive shaft will no longer be able to spin freely and while this can be addressed with limiting straps, we haven't been running any on Moby for a while now or at least, not up front anyway. Needless to say, after thousands of hard miles and years of abuse, I found that his front shaft had finally worn out and to the point where it needed to be replaced. Of course, a good 1350 drive shaft can cost well over $600 or more and being that Moby needed a custom length, I decided to look for a local shop to help me out.

After doing some looking online and making a few calls, I headed out to a shop in Sparks, NV called Driveline and Gear Service and as luck would have it, they were able to help me out. Even better, they were able to make a new shaft with the specifications I needed, using made in the USA Neapco U-joints AND if you can believe it, all for just $369!

I get people asking me all the time, what drive shaft they should get? And, as I often say, give your local driveline shop a call. You just might be surprised at what they can do for you. :cool:

I have a shop local to me I've used to rebuild mine. Front and rear 1310 (One blew apart on the Rubicon as you may remember..haha). Uses all solid Spicer and knows what he is doing. It gets a vote of confidence when you see an ultra 4 car parked in the back..haha. I'm probably going to have him make my front 1350 when I go to 37's.

I can see those are Evo control arms. They look beefey as hell, and even have the skids on them. Are those totally custom made just for Moby?

I believe those are the elusive EVO Envy links. I do not think they are in production any more.

Ddays

Hooked
Looks good! I went the local shop route as well when I had mine rebuilt a couple months ago. Figured if these guys can make shafts for tri-axle and Caterpillar dump trucks they'd be able to handle my little ol' 1350 shaft.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
That's a sexy shaft with a sexy price. Looks great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sharkey

Word Ninja
They have been around Reno/Sparks for just about forever. Not many companies last that long unless they are doing something right. ;)

Exodus 4x4

I’m always watching this when installing a DTD. It’s been an issue in the past and some driveshaft manufacturers wouldn’t accommodate, but Reel hasn’t ever given me pushback.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking shaft.

Why thank you :blush:

Wow looks real good and a good price for that quality of workmanship. 👍

I have to say that I'm quite pleased with what I got especially for how much it cost :yup:

There's a time and a place for a sloppy shaft and the front of a Jeep is not one of those. 😎

Looks good and that was a great deal! 👍

:cheesy:

:clap2: :cheesy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I have a shop local to me I've used to rebuild mine. Front and rear 1310 (One blew apart on the Rubicon as you may remember..haha). Uses all solid Spicer and knows what he is doing. It gets a vote of confidence when you see an ultra 4 car parked in the back..haha. I'm probably going to have him make my front 1350 when I go to 37's.

I believe those are the elusive EVO Envy links. I do not think they are in production any more.

What jesse said, they are the Envy Links and there were only 10 sets made. In fact, the ones we got were defects (EVO was engraved backwards) but Mel was nice enough to sell them to us anyway. :yup:

Looks good! I went the local shop route as well when I had mine rebuilt a couple months ago. Figured if these guys can make shafts for tri-axle and Caterpillar dump trucks they'd be able to handle my little ol' 1350 shaft.

In the end, who are you gonna have re-balance your shafts in the future. Better to start a relationship now. :yup:

That's a sexy shaft with a sexy price. Looks great

The price was spot on for sure. :yup:

They have been around Reno/Sparks for just about forever. Not many companies last that long unless they are doing something right. ;)

Yep. Been meaning to try them out because of it. I had been using a shop in Carson City but they no longer do shafts. What I got this time around is much better and they knew exactly what I needed. Super easy to work with.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Was it 369 for the entire shaft or just the rebuild of it??

My old shaft was worn out at the slip yoke. The splines on the main shaft were done for. I also wanted to change the length of the shaft and so the $369 was for a whole new shaft. Pretty amazing really. :yup:

I’m always watching this when installing a DTD. It’s been an issue in the past and some driveshaft manufacturers wouldn’t accommodate, but Reel hasn’t ever given me pushback.

Jim is a great guy and I have run many of his shafts in the past. Back when I was still living in the SoCal area, I pretty much used Reel exclusively.

That's the way to get a shaft, without getting shafted in the process

LOL!! Nice way of putting it :D

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
What jesse said, they are the Envy Links and there were only 10 sets made. In fact, the ones we got were defects (EVO was engraved backwards) but Mel was nice enough to sell them to us anyway. :yup:

Those are way cool [emoji41].... also great to see the Moby is getting some love.

Top Bottom