Rear locker light flashing

jkfiregirl

I have a jku Rubicon 2009 just had new gears put in 4:88 .. Now the rear locker light flashes all the time.. I've tried disconnecting the battery that didn't work.. Jacked it up with it unlocked (coulded get both wheels off the ground) but I could spin the one tire.. Then Locked the rear the light goes to solid and the one tire would not spin.. Diconte the rear and the light just continually blinks.. Can anyone help me. :eek:

J

JKDream

I have a jku Rubicon 2009 just had new gears put in 4:88 .. Now the rear locker light flashes all the time.. I've tried disconnecting the battery that didn't work.. Jacked it up with it unlocked (coulded get both wheels off the ground) but I could spin the one tire.. Then Locked the rear the light goes to solid and the one tire would not spin.. Diconte the rear and the light just continually blinks.. Can anyone help me. :eek:
Whoever did your regear probably didn't install the plunger correctly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

Whoever did your regear probably didn't install the plunger correctly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Don't jump to conclusions on this. My rear locker usually takes a few revolutions to engage or disengage. Not as responsive as I would like but always seems to work ok if you give it a bit of notice to react. Have even had to "rock it" back and forth sometimes to get response. Don't know if this is normal or not, just my experience. '07 Rubicon.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Don't jump to conclusions on this. My rear locker usually takes a few revolutions to engage or disengage. Not as responsive as I would like but always seems to work ok if you give it a bit of notice to react. Have even had to "rock it" back and forth sometimes to get response. Don't know if this is normal or not, just my experience. '07 Rubicon.

I get the same thing, sometimes it takes forever to engage, sometimes pops right in.

OP, the only time I had locker lights flashing without my intention was, when my sway bar connector corroded, causing a Christmas tree of lights on the dash. In your case, there might have been an install error.

Last edited:

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
When my gears were installed the rear did the same thing. They had it wrong. Take it back it was a very quick fix.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
He said its flaking all the time. It shouldn't flash all the time. Only when the switch is pressed and it's waiting to engage like what you mentioned. I'm inclined to agree that the plunger is installed incorrectly. It's a pretty frequent occurance when getting regeared by a shop which isn't familiar with the Rubicon's elocker.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Have the shop that installed them inspect the gears right away. Usually this happens when someone’s does a fucked up gear job and there’s so much metal floating around that it gets in the solenoid and the locker can’t engage.

jkfiregirl

When this happened to me on my Rubi axles, it was just the plunger. But I’d have it checked out quickly in case something is wrong.

You guys rock! Thanks for the input.. I'm pretty sure it's locking when it does the light stays on and pretty sure it disengages after it disengages it just flashes
I'm taking it back tomorrow to have him recheck the plunger

wagonwheel

Sorry to dig up an old post (but that’s what happens when you use the search function).
Do we know if the OP ever find the fix? I’m having the exact same issue with my ‘17 JKUR

Sorry to dig up an old post (but that’s what happens when you use the search function).
Do we know if the OP ever find the fix? I’m having the exact same issue with my ‘17 JKUR
It’s most likely the plunger. Did you have gears put in recently? Front or rear? Is the locker working at all?

wagonwheel

It’s most likely the plunger. Did you have gears put in recently? Front or rear? Is the locker working at all?
Had gears put in about 7000 miles ago. The issue is with the rear. The locker is actually engaging and dis engaging but the light continues to blink

Last edited:
Had gears put in about 7000 miles ago. The issue is with the rear. The locker is actually engaging and dis engaging but the light continues to blink
The locker working is a good sign. I have a pic somewhere but sound like an issue with the plunger mechanically or electrical. It’s very easy to accidentally bend it when doing gears which can cause it to get stuck, and in your case stuck open or extended. I would also check the wires/plug that go to it on the outside of the housing to make sure nothing is damaged.

if you pop the diff cover off, you can visually see it on the back side of the locker solenoid and can use a long flat head screw driver to see if it extends freely. Or you may see it stuck in the open position.

Top Bottom