Page 99 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar

Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    How hard is it to replace a gas water heater? It looks like ours decided to die today. The thought of paying some dude $70 an hour to take his time pulling the old one and installing a new one isn’t sitting well with me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    Super easy. Shut off gas valve. Shut off water fill valve. Hook a hose to the drain valve at the bottom and run to a drain/ sink. Open the drain valve open a hot water valve at a sink or tub somewhere to relieve air pressure. Crack the pipe fittings on top open. Pop the exhaust vent off the tank. Drag it out.

If you can find a unit that the fittings are the same height so you don’t have to mess with the water lines. Install by screwing everything together, make sure you use gas rated/ safe pipe seal tape or goop. If you can’t find an exact match you’ll need to either cut and solder on new fittings or extensions to make it fit. Easier than it sounds. Sweat soldering is as easy as it gets.
    Once it’s up and running use soapy water spray to check for bubbles on gas lines so you don’t die.

First time doing it should take you about half a day and likely one trip to the store.

*edit*
    Here ya go
    https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/how-t...5fab904e98440f
    Last edited by Snboarder113; 12-02-2019 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    SIf you can find a unit that the fittings are the same height so you don’t have to mess with the water lines.
    Do yourself a favor and get a pair of these flexible water connectors - then you don't have to worry about where the water connections are & you're free to get any brand tank you want.

Your gas supply should also have a flexible connection as well.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    How hard is it to replace a gas water heater? It looks like ours decided to die today. The thought of paying some dude $70 an hour to take his time pulling the old one and installing a new one isn’t sitting well with me.

Get a quote and don’t pay “some dude” hourly to take his time. $300 in labor isn’t a lot for a company to charge from doing everything from getting a heater that they will warranty, to getting a permit, to installing it, to getting rid of the old one. Some of us are professionals that spent 4 years in trade school to learn how to do our trade, and not dumbasses that stink and drive piece of shit vans that leak oil all over your driveway and leave with gas leaking in your house. $70 an hour is the going rate but it’s cheap compared to other professions. A lot of things come out of that $70 every hour, rant over, carry on

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    Get a quote and don’t pay “some dude” hourly to take his time. $300 in labor isn’t a lot for a company to charge from doing everything from getting a heater that they will warranty, to getting a permit, to installing it, to getting rid of the old one. Some of us are professionals that spent 4 years in trade school to learn how to do our trade, and not dumbasses that stink and drive piece of shit vans that leak oil all over your driveway and leave with gas leaking in your house. $70 an hour is the going rate but it’s cheap compared to other professions. A lot of things come out of that $70 every hour, rant over, carry on

Where do you live that requires to pull a permit for a water heater swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Where do you live that requires to pull a permit for a water heater swap?

Ft Wayne In, it’s getting so bad we almost have to pull a permit to take a shit here anymore when we’re at work

Random (non-Jeep) Shit You’re Working On....

Ft Wayne In, it’s getting so bad we almost have to pull a permit to take a shit here anymore when we’re at work

Well, you should be pooping at home, not at work.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebeas View Post

Well that's the beauty of being self employed, he can poop whenever he likes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by littlebeas View Post

I’d rather get paid to poop.

So you finally got the oil leak fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by nbunga View Post
    So you finally got the oil leak fixed?
    And the b.o. too

Page 99 of 105 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast