P0420 bank 1

74CJ5

Just had this code pop up right before a 400 mile round trip for the 4th of July. Did this just eliminate the Jeep from going to the beach or can I address this when I get back?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just had this code pop up right before a 400 mile round trip for the 4th of July. Did this just eliminate the Jeep from going to the beach or can I address this when I get back?

What kind of Jeep are you getting this on? A JK? if so, what year?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. 2012 JK.

Okay, so it's an O2 sensor issue and that shouldn't be enough to cancel your trip per se but on a 2012, it could be a bad head. This has happened to me before and it can put your Jeep into limp mode. I might have your dealership give it a look before going on a long trip.

74CJ5

Okay, so it's an O2 sensor issue and that shouldn't be enough to cancel your trip per se but on a 2012, it could be a bad head. This has happened to me before and it can put your Jeep into limp mode. I might have your dealership give it a look before going on a long trip.

So my ‘12 was one of the early ones. Got it in Sept ‘11. It had the notorious bad cylinder head. It was replaced with a bad cylinder head. The dealership had my Jeep in their shop for 46 days! This was around 12K miles. Now I have 81K. I really don’t want to be looking at the same problem again. Ugh

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So my ‘12 was one of the early ones. Got it in Sept ‘11. It had the notorious bad cylinder head. It was replaced with a bad cylinder head. The dealership had my Jeep in their shop for 46 days! This was around 12K miles. Now I have 81K. I really don’t want to be looking at the same problem again. Ugh

Happened to me. Fortunately, Jeep extended the warranty to 100k and I was able to get a 2nd head installed under it.

74CJ5

Happened to me. Fortunately, Jeep extended the warranty to 100k and I was able to get a 2nd head installed under it.

So I had my O2 sensors replaced ($340) and my CEL came back on within 5 miles and my exhaust started smoking. Took it back to the dealer and now they are saying I need to drop $1,100 on replacing my catalytic converters. I'm just over 80k miles so I guess I'm screwed.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Top Bottom