Trail Selection Moab

alf1096

I need trail suggestion help. I will be in Durango for about a week and thinking of spending the night in Moab and doing a few trails since I have never been. Looking for trail recommendations for a 2 inch lift stock rubicon tires. I was thinking of fins n things,hells revenge with bypasses, top of the world and maybe Poison spider. From past reading these all seemed fun and doable in a stock Jeep but the fun treks book has them all listed as difficult trails. Just don’t want anything crazy with the family and will have to drive it home so no damage is a plus if possible. So I guess what I am asking are those good trails or should I look at something else.

Thanks

If posted in the wrong place feel free to move.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I need trail suggestion help. I will be in Durango for about a week and thinking of spending the night in Moab and doing a few trails since I have never been. Looking for trail recommendations for a 2 inch lift stock rubicon tires. I was thinking of fins n things,hells revenge with bypasses, top of the world and maybe Poison spider. From past reading these all seemed fun and doable in a stock Jeep but the fun treks book has them all listed as difficult trails. Just don’t want anything crazy with the family and will have to drive it home so no damage is a plus if possible. So I guess what I am asking are those good trails or should I look at something else.

Thanks

If posted in the wrong place feel free to move.

Having very limited experience in Moab I'd say your trail selections are pretty good for a Jeep like you described. The only really challenging part of top of the world are a couple waterfall sections towards the end. Good line selection, use of the skid plates, and/or some possible rock stacking and they shouldn't be too difficult. However I'd dedicate the majority of a day to run that trail as its about 45 mins from Moab and takes a good while to run just because its slow going. Hells and Fins are in town a relatively close to one another. These could be done in a few hours if there isn't much traffic on them.

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
What’s your experience level? There can be a lot of pucker factor on Hell’s Revenge with the steep parts. IMG_0279.jpg IMG_0182.jpg Fins and Things is fun but when combined with Hell’s Revenge it can be a long day. Top of the World is nice. Some big ledges towards the end but my brother’s stock 1955 Willys Wagon made it a 1000’ until the end of the trail before the fuel pump went out. IMG_0697.jpg Poison Spider isn’t bad. There are a few tricky areas. IMG_0498.jpg IMG_0335.jpg Doable though. Hurrah Pass was fairly easy but a good drive. You can also do Jackson Hole and Chicken Corners from there. IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0091.jpg IMG_0114.jpg With it just being you and family, I wouldn’t get too remote just in case something went wrong.

Basscat

You can figure most of the day for Top of the World. It will be hot. Take lots of water. Easily done in your Jeep. You can do Hell’s Revenge with short cut out after Dragon’s Tail either early in the morning or later in the evening. If you like that type of terrain you could add the second half of Fins and Things as kind of an extension. Take your time on Hells Revenge and enjoy the scenery. It’s close to town and you can bail off of it quickly for a banana split or root beer float at Moab Diner!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

alf1096

Level of experience I would say is moderate. I have done all of the ouray area trails with no problems but have never been in Moab type terrain. I am looking for stuff that is fun to drive pretty scenery and that will more than likely not break anything. This is more of a Moab teaser trip until I can get back and spend several more days so I am trying to hit the best trails in the 2 days I have.

Thanks for the tips so far keep them coming

Last edited:

Slimebones

Having run those trails, I don't think I would recommend doing Poison Spider if you are running solo.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
Stay close to town

As stated earlier, Fins and Hells are close to town and I've seen plenty of stock Jeep's there. The problem is they're both being over taken by SxS, so keep an eye open on blind corners, they usually are going fast and not watching. They've also created by passes for the by passes, so you can determine how serious you want to be. But there's enough traffic on there if you get into trouble there's usually someone close to help out.
In my opinion the hardest part of Top of the World is the loop down. Stock will definitely drag, and you'll most likely smash your tail pipe. And again, it's pretty far out, so you spend a lot of time on pavement.
I would save Poison Spider for another day, with a group and do all three trails out there. That's a full day, but a great ride. Enjoy your first trip to Moab. Make sure to eat at Moab diner. One of the last places that support Jeep people.

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_095639.jpg
    IMG_20180401_095639.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 160

Brute

Hooked
Fin's would be a good choice...Hells Revenge would be ok too if you took all the bypasses...I'd pass on Poison Spider if going solo on stock tires...there is also Cameo Cliffs & Secret Spire which are fairly easy trails with great views

alf1096

Thanks guys. I will cross poison spider off the list. Definitely want to do hell’s revenge and fins and things. I would like to run top of the world but will see how much extra drive time to add. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
While not as experienced as some of these others when it comes to Moab having only been 3 times I say go for T.O.W. I've run it each time I've gone... well worth the view.. normally takes me a total of about 4-5 hrs not counting hang out time .. received_10213264962491536.jpg last run out I purposely ran It to catch the sunset and was 👍👍👍👍👍in my book

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

agr1144

I might suggest running Kane creek backwards, starting from the 191 end. Then at the end of Kane, you’re right at the start of hurrah pass and chicken corners. Get some good wheeling in with a little pucker factor then an easy afternoon on hurrah/chicken corners. Makes for a full day. As a first timer with a stock jeep and the family, I think TOW might be a little stressful. I guess Kane and TOW depends on changes due to rainfall and washing out. I thought Kane was easier going backwards than forward up out out of the canyon. There is a tight rock or 2 that will get your attention though.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
I might suggest running Kane creek backwards, starting from the 191 end. Then at the end of Kane, you’re right at the start of hurrah pass and chicken corners. Get some good wheeling in with a little pucker factor then an easy afternoon on hurrah/chicken corners. Makes for a full day. As a first timer with a stock jeep and the family, I think TOW might be a little stressful. I guess Kane and TOW depends on changes due to rainfall and washing out. I thought Kane was easier going backwards than forward up out out of the canyon. There is a tight rock or 2 that will get your attention though.

We did Kane two weeks after EJS. No way I'd send anyone on it stock. Not sure if Hamburger Hill has just gotten washed out or if it's getting dug out with traffic, but it's harder than I've ever seen it. The rest is easy, with a couple places to get your attention, as you stated. But alone, and stock, Kane would be a mistake. IMO.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
If you want easy trails, Geminis Bridge and Long Canyon trail are about as easy as it gets. From there you can go to Shafers Pass which is a scenic easy switchback trail.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
We did Kane two weeks after EJS. No way I'd send anyone on it stock. Not sure if Hamburger Hill has just gotten washed out or if it's getting dug out with traffic, but it's harder than I've ever seen it. The rest is easy, with a couple places to get your attention, as you stated. But alone, and stock, Kane would be a mistake. IMO.

2nd this. Kane is much harder now than in past years.

Wheatbackdigger

Hurrah Pass, Jackson Hole, Chicken Corner (three connected trails) stop for a bite to eat on your way out and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom