Re Gearing And C-Gussets Quote

Jsouder53

Hooked
I just started looking around for a shop to have my Jeep regeared and c gussets installed. Just got a quote back today from a shop down the street from me and I thought it was rather high... they said it would be $2,200-2,400. For some reason I was thinking it would be something like $1,400 for both front and rear

Is that high or is that just me?

Edit: Also is it possible to leave ball joints in when welding on c gussets, I think I’ve heard you don’t have to remove them...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I just started looking around for a shop to have my Jeep regeared and c gussets installed. Just got a quote back today from a shop down the street from me and I thought it was rather high... they said it would be $2,200-2,400. For some reason I was thinking it would be something like $1,400 for both front and rear

Is that high or is that just me?

Edit: Also is it possible to leave ball joints in when welding on c gussets, I think I’ve heard you don’t have to remove them...

Sounds high compared to what others here on the forum have said that they paid. Being where you are I’m guessing that you don’t have many options? Maybe they know that? I have heard that the ball joints can stay, but the welding must be done slowly, like an inch at a time with a cooling period in between. This is just what I heard and have no personal experience with any of this.

jdofmemi

That price sounds like parts and labor to me.
Didn't I read that you already have the parts on order from Exodus?

Someone should be able to get it done at a reasonable price, but it may be hard to find them.

Good luck

Jsouder53

Hooked
Being where you are I’m guessing that you don’t have many options? Maybe they know that?

That’s kinda what I was thinking too unfortunately.

I have heard that the ball joints can stay, but the welding must be done slowly, like an inch at a time with a cooling period in between. This is just what I heard and have no personal experience with any of this.

I hope that this shop can do that... I don’t want to spend the money on ball joints right now

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Sounds high.

I recently regeared and though I’m nowhere near you, I’m not exactly in the hotbed of off-road shops.

I paid $1080 total. I did it piecemeal though. I bought Yukon Gears and master install kits for $580 which was $430 after a Rebate and $650 for labor.

As for the C-Gussets, mine were done with the BJs in and they are fine 30k Miles later.

(Edit - Gussets weren’t part of the price if that wasn’t clear)

Last edited:

Jsouder53

Hooked
That price sounds like parts and labor to me.
Didn't I read that you already have the parts on order from Exodus?

Someone should be able to get it done at a reasonable price, but it may be hard to find them.

Good luck

Yes I already ordered them, they said that is labor only. I had to re-read the email to make sure they didn’t include parts.

Sounds high.

I recently regeared and though I’m nowhere near you, I’m not exactly in the hotbed of off-road shops.

I paid $1080 total. I did it piecemeal though. I bought Yukon Gears and master install kits for $580 which was $430 after a Rebate and $650 for labor.

As for the C-Gussets, mine were done with the BJs in and they are fine 30k Miles later.

(Edit - Gussets weren’t part of the price if that wasn’t clear)

That’s a good price! I need to find someone to do it for that price. That price I posted is labor only [emoji51]

Exodus 4x4

That’s insanely high for just labor. I tell people all the time, when you get a really high quote it’s usually because they’re unsure of their own work and trying to scare you away. Anyone confident enough in gear work shouldn’t be charging more than $1000 for labor. Hell I only charge $1350 parts and labor for Rubicon’s and $1450 for a Sport if it needs a larger carrier.

Jsouder53

Hooked
That’s insanely high for just labor. I tell people all the time, when you get a really high quote it’s usually because they’re unsure of their own work and trying to scare you away. Anyone confident enough in gear work shouldn’t be charging more than $1000 for labor. Hell I only charge $1350 parts and labor for Rubicon’s and $1450 for a Sport if it needs a larger carrier.

Thank you for that input! I just dug deeper and found other shops in the area that I’m hoping will do the work cheaper.

WJCO

Meme King
Seems high, but then again some independent shops have a high labor rate. Idont have a book in front of me, but 5-6 hours per axle seems reasonable.

As far as gussets, I just helped someone out doing some, and being careful, it seemed like ball joints were fine. The slower you go, the less risk of overheating them.

98XJ06LJ

I agree with Bubba, sounds like they are not confident in their ability to complete the work and are trying to either scare you off or charge you enough to cover the warranty work they know they are going to have to do when you bring it back. Best thing you can do is call around and ask local shops and if you know any local drag/circle track racers who they use.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Seems high, but then again some independent shops have a high labor rate. Idont have a book in front of me, but 5-6 hours per axle seems reasonable.

As far as gussets, I just helped someone out doing some, and being careful, it seemed like ball joints were fine. The slower you go, the less risk of overheating them.

It definitely looks like a nice shop and seem to do good work. I know desertrunner has used them and was pretty happy with the turnout.

I like knowing it’s possible to leave the ball joints in place while installing c-gussets! [emoji106]

I agree with Bubba, sounds like they are not confident in their ability to complete the work and are trying to either scare you off or charge you enough to cover the warranty work they know they are going to have to do when you bring it back. Best thing you can do is call around and ask local shops and if you know any local drag/circle track racers who they use.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

I’m definitely going to call around and see about a lower price, there is an off road shop close by and a transmission shop that says they do axles (I figure that means re-gearing)

fiend

Caught the Bug
The work you are having done is fairly critical. I understand shopping based on price, but you should pay as much attention to reputation and quality.

BaddestCross

The work you are having done is fairly critical. I understand shopping based on price, but you should pay as much attention to reputation and quality.
☝️ This. Regear is one thing you don't want to go cheap on. Even with the guy I ended up going with, there ended up being issues with the parts I brought in to him. He did the rear a second time for no charge even though he didn't supply the parts.

That being said, the prices I found near me ranged from $450-$800 labor only per axle.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Coop

Caught the Bug

This is spot on! The d30 will need the carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jsouder53

Hooked

Thank you for putting it that way!

☝️ This. Regear is one thing you don't want to go cheap on. Even with the guy I ended up going with, there ended up being issues with the parts I brought in to him. He did the rear a second time for no charge even though he didn't supply the parts.

That being said, the prices I found near me ranged from $450-$800 labor only per axle.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

That’s unfortunate you had to have the rear done twice, I’ll pay attention to the quality of the shop [emoji106]

This is spot on! The d30 will need the carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is that something that comes with the master install kit?

Coop

Caught the Bug
Thank you for putting it that way!

That’s unfortunate you had to have the rear done twice, I’ll pay attention to the quality of the shop [emoji106]

Is that something that comes with the master install kit?

No. It’s about a $100 extra. You can get that from Yukon and others.

Exodus 4x4

This is the other side of the coin,[emoji12]. You want to shop around but just because they’re cheap, doesn’t mean their confident in their work either. They could just not know what they’re getting into and be underbidding the work. You need to be looking for a shop that has a good reputation for gear work and isn’t higher than giraffe ass on their price. Take your time and you’ll find the right shop.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It definitely looks like a nice shop and seem to do good work. I know desertrunner has used them and was pretty happy with the turnout.

I like knowing it’s possible to leave the ball joints in place while installing c-gussets! [emoji106]

I’m definitely going to call around and see about a lower price, there is an off road shop close by and a transmission shop that says they do axles (I figure that means re-gearing)

You mean the one somewhere in Montana that messed his shit up that he had to drive back to that was 4+ hours away? I don’t remember the full story but he posted it here.

Top Bottom