Over heating

bekel

Hey I've got a 94 yj that I bought new, years ago when the 2.5 gave up I stuck a ford fi 300-6 with a t18 in the last few weeks it's been heating up I have changed the water pump, thermostat, an put in a new aluminum 3 core radiator, hoses and fan clutch. I have no bubbles in the radiator no water in the oil and it's not losing water does anyone have any ideas what it might be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

What is your radiator cap rated at? Did you reuse the old cap when you swapped the radiator? Do you have an IR temp gun?

bekel

It had new cap with radiator
It heats up anytime I get above 55 or climbing any type of grade cools right back down to 190 going down grades can idle all day an not heat up

PT1400

I'm guessing: lift and bigger tires. What rpm range are you at when you are at 55? Having a 3 SPD with a granny might have something to do with it. Having the revs at 3000+ rpm at 55 will do it.

PT1400

Oh wait. Having too lean a air/fuel mix or timing will also cause an overheating issue! And you've got a carb.

bekel

Got 36" swampers on but been running them for years an have never had a heating problem till this spring that's why I put in new pump rad hoses an fan clutch

PT1400

Is the radiator loosing coolant out the cap? While running or after shutdown?

Do you have a temp gun of some sort to confirm it's not a bad temp sender/sensor? If so, what are the temps at these locations while running after a highway run?

Cylinder Head at the temp sender
Cylinder head at the back of the block
Water pump
Thermostat
Radiator top
Radiator bottom

bekel

Took it to a shop they did a leak down test an a compression test and say the motors fine they think it's not getting enough air moving through the radiator an suggest I put a pusher fan in an see if that fixes it

PT1400

A pusher fan? Those are for under 15 mph on equipment.

How many blades does your fan have currently? Electric or hydraulic? Is it a glade blade or curved?

The reason I ask is that you stated it ran fine but then started to have issues recently.

Top Bottom