Jeep Woes for LongarmWJ

longarmwj

A couple of days ago my JK wouldn't start. All the symptoms of a dead battery. No big deal right?

I jump it off and it runs just fine. No other problems. I drove it down to Macon, GA (2.5 hour drive) to attend my cousins wedding, and after the wedding, once again it would not start. A nice passerby jumped me off and once again, it started and ran just fine. That is up until yesterday.

Went out to start it and it wouldn't start. Hooked up the Jump box and that wouldn't start it, so I tried jumping it with my brother's Renegade. Still wouldn't start. I noticed that I was having full power but when I was trying to start, a light that said "no fuse" was flashing on the odometer. That led me to wonder if the Ignition Off Drain (IOD) fuse had gone bad. Pulled the fuse, borrowed my brothers Renegade to go to Autozone to get another fuse, replaced it, and still would not start.

The starter is getting power and engaging so I know it isn't that, and it isn't the fuse. I finally gave up and had it towed to my dealership for the service department to look at. They're telling me that it is either something wrong with the ECU internally, or that the motor is seized. They also told me that there is another Jeep sitting behind the dealer that is doing the same exact thing that mine is doing, and the motor is locked up on it. Crossing my fingers for better news tonight or tomorrow :doh::doh:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I don’t know how the motor could be seized, given that you were driving it around as this was happening. Anyway, you can check that easily enough by taking out the spark plugs and turning the crank shaft with a breaker bar.

Sounds electrical to me. Check for bad grounds.

longarmwj

I don’t know how the motor could be seized, given that you were driving it around as this was happening. Anyway, you can check that easily enough by taking out the spark plugs and turning the crank shaft with a breaker bar.

Sounds electrical to me. Check for bad grounds.

That was one thing they said they were going to check. I just got tired of working on it and threw in the towel. Plus I ran out of beer :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well that sucks. I seriously doubt it's seized though. Could be something as simple as a bad crank shaft position sensor.

I know you jumped it and you have power still. But have you actually tested your battery? What’s it saying the CCA’s are?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I know you jumped it and you have power still. But have you actually tested your battery? What’s it saying the CCA’s are?

Thats what I was thinking too.... the alternator is providing juice from jump to jump but the battery can’t hold the charge. Buy a new one?

Max_ASP

On a 08 JK we killed the ECU while jumping it. Jeep told me not to do so on the new cars anymore....... We‘ve done it a lot, but sometimes you just lose.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
That sucks. Sounds like a bad battery to me as well. Low voltage can do some whacky shit in modern vehicles. Hope it's fixed quickly.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Sounds like a dead cell in the battery. I’ve had that happen on the wife’s KK. New battery fixed it right up.

longarmwj

Thanks for the replies y’all. I guess I got so flustered with trying to figure out the “no fuse” light that I overlooked the fact it actually might be the battery. I’m gonna feel really stupid if it is the battery and I went through all this just for that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the replies y’all. I guess I got so flustered with trying to figure out the “no fuse” light that I overlooked the fact it actually might be the battery. I’m gonna feel really stupid if it is the battery and I went through all this just for that.

My battery was acting bitchy like that a few months ago too. Picked up a deep cell battery via wayalife/amazon link and all is well again.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

Hey, I did a partial rebuild on a 3.8 recently and couldn’t figure out what was causing it to run poor after 2.5 minutes. After a week and almost having it towed to the dealer we knew a guy that was a Chrysler tech with the dealer reader come over and check it out. Turns out we can set timing and rebuild 80% of a motor but can’t check to make sure all vacuum hoses are on... [emoji23]

longarmwj

Update on the Jeep.

Motor is good, thank god. But every time they start it, it blows an IOD fuse. They think there is a short somewhere in the line and that one of the cells in the battery is dead. They have it hooked up to the battery tester now to see what that results in.

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Update on the Jeep.

Motor is good, thank god. But every time they start it, it blows an IOD fuse. They think there is a short somewhere in the line and that one of the cells in the battery is dead. They have it hooked up to the battery tester now to see what that results in.

Good luck! Hope it doesn’t take them long to find the gremlin.

longarmwj

Good luck! Hope it doesn’t take them long to find the gremlin.

It didn't. There was a short somewhere in the ignition system. They found it and fixed it. Swapped in a new battery and it runs like a dream now. Just waiting for the bill since this would be considered something covered under bumper to bumper warranty and I just crossed over 36,000 miles about a week ago.

Ironically, I cracked a joke to a friend that was along the lines of "now watch, something is gonna break since it's out of warranty now". Guess I jinxed it :doh:

Top Bottom