97 won’t start, won’t crank please help!

4WDshooter

I’ve replaced the starter, ignition switch, and ignition cylinder. I try and start it and I’m getting power (the radio turns on, and all the lights) so I know it’s not the battery, and when I try and crank it I hear the starter engage (it’s also new) so I know it’s not that. When I replaced the cylinder I checked the actuator pin and it was fine. Please help!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Try cleaning and tightening your battery connections. Does it have a standalone solenoid or is it on the starter. Also maybe check your main ground that comes from the battery and goes to the frame.

It could still be the battery. If it has a dead cell you would still have lights and radio but not enough current to run the starter. Any auto parts store could test it.

Last edited:

4WDshooter

Try cleaning and tightening your battery connections. Does it have a standalone solenoid or is it on the starter. Also maybe check your main ground that comes from the battery and goes to the frame.

It could still be the battery. If it has a dead cell you would still have lights and radio but not enough current to run the starter. Any auto parts store could test it.

Its a fairly new battery, I put it in last October. And the solenoid is on the starter.

4WDshooter

It starts sometimes. Just not all the time.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
You can also have a battery with enough juice to fool you by turning on small stuff but can’t crank the engine. I’ve also seen batteries right on the edge start sometimes and sometimes won’t.

BaddestCross

Yup, my first thing would be to clean the battery terminals and make sure they're seated well and tightened down so there's no movement. If that didn't do it, I'd take it over to an auto parts store and have them test it. A bad cell will cause these symptoms.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

PT1400

This isn't very clear. Is the starter actually turning the engine? Or is it engaging and not turning the engine?

tdans

If it’s not turning over at all. I’m guessing it might have to do with the neutral safety switch or the clutch safety switch. You might just be hearing some relays click and think it’s the starter. Or have you checked to make sure your starter is not loose or not the correct so it’s not quite grabbing the flywheel.

Top Bottom