Grinding Marks and divot Axle Shaft

AlStew

I ordered some stock replacement axle shafts and the passenger side has grinding marks and a divot about 1/16th deep. I emailed the vendor already, but I know they’ll probably just say this is normal. To me this is not normal. I feel like someone dropped the axle shaft and they tried to blend the divot.

My question is, can this be normal for a Dana production part?

IMG_5081.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

If I was buying it, I could not send it back quick enough.

Any kind of defect in something like an axle shaft will start a stress riser and that will be the point of failure at some point, and at a lot lower torque than an unblemished part.
It could run for years that way under easy use and never be an issue. On the other hand, it could fail on the first hard climb.

Whoever tells you that is normal, tell them to run it on their rig, and get you a new one.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I ordered some stock replacement axle shafts and the passenger side has grinding marks and a divot about 1/16th deep. I emailed the vendor already, but I know they’ll probably just say this is normal. To me this is not normal. I feel like someone dropped the axle shaft and they tried to blend the divot.

View attachment 305388
View attachment 305389

I agree with above. I would say if you don’t hear from them today then call them this afternoon and talk to them direct. Ask them first if they will take care of it and if not just let them know you’ll be sending it back for them to use! Absolutely not normal, I’m actually surprised that someone even tried to cover it up and send it out rather than just scrapping it.

AlStew

So I talked to the vendor and sent them pictures. They expediting a new replacement and I am getting a return label today. I am so stoke that they didn't tell me that this was "normal" and took responsibility.

WJCO

Meme King
So I talked to the vendor and sent them pictures. They expediting a new replacement and I am getting a return label today. I am so stoke that they didn't tell me that this was "normal" and took responsibility.

Glad they took it back. Those grind marks are bullshit.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

View attachment 305388
View attachment 305389

:eek: :crazyeyes: :banghead:

DEFINITELY NOT!!!

Its a torsional shaft for god's sake

[video]https://tenor.com/view/tracy-morgan-smh-shake-my-head-hell-no-no-gif-4844098[/video]

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Definitely not normal. If it was me I would be contacting the vendor I bought it form, the minute I opened the box. Good to hear they are taking care of you, as they should.

Top Bottom