CJ5 Steering Issue

10ARubi

Hello Everyone. Little background on this CJ I purchased this past spring. 80 CJ5, Dana 30 Front Disc brake, open. 44 rear spooled. Chevy 4.3 power train, Dana 300. RE 4.5 SUA lift.

The problem, it has a Saginaw steering conversion on it. Turning radius to the right is fantastic. To the left is piss poor. Like might as well not turn at all. I pulled the pitman arm with the wheels straight and turning the steering wheel left and right both have 2.5 rotations. I don’t see any interference with frame, springs, or anything like that. What are some things I should look for? I can add some pics when I get home.

Thanks,
Tristan

10ARubi

To give you an idea on how off the steering is, full right turn, I can fit 1 finger between the tire and spring. Left turn I can fit my entire hand between tire and spring. Nothing looks or feels loose.

WJCO

Meme King
Check the steering stops on the knuckles. See if they are adjustable or if someone added bolts or washers unevenly.

10ARubi

Bolts on both knuckles aren’t hitting anything. Lots of clearance. I’m starting to wonder if I just have a bad steering box. But doesn’t make sense as the wheel turns evenly left and right. Guess I can measure actual travel distance of the pitman arm left and right to see if it’s balanced.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Bolts on both knuckles aren’t hitting anything. Lots of clearance. I’m starting to wonder if I just have a bad steering box. But doesn’t make sense as the wheel turns evenly left and right. Guess I can measure actual travel distance of the pitman arm left and right to see if it’s balanced.

Yes, start there. I think it’s something in the box limiting it. The lift can affect the position of the pitman arm as well as far as where center is. As it lowers, it lengthens the drag link which can through the steering out of alignment. With the CJs you can re adjust you drag light and get the wheel travel to be equal, the remove the steering wheel and re center it. No clock spring to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom