Suspension binding

rogerk93

I recently did the rebel extreme coil over conversion and have a issue I can’t figure out. After the conversion I flexed out my Jeep a few times but noticed that I am not able to stuff my wheel as much as before About 3 inches difference, and my down travel is kind of upsetting. There is a lot more shock that can be used for both up and down travel but it binds somewhere preventing it from fully flexing. I am thinking the way the tabs on the axle is placed and the tabs on the cage that is causing it to bind. If I rotated the axle tube tabs where it is parallel to the axle it will allow the coil overs to sway a little to allow more flex. I took some pictures to show how the tabs are welded up. IMG_5320.jpg IMG_5321.jpg IMG_5322.jpg IMG_5323.jpg IMG_5324.jpg IMG_5326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

I didn’t have any pics of the rear at full flex somehow so I used my old 40’s thankfully they were still mounted on the old rims so I flexed on those. IMG_5331.jpg IMG_5332.jpg IMG_5333.jpg IMG_5334.jpg IMG_5330.jpg IMG_5335.jpg

A.J.

I don't really see an issue with the coilover mounting. Something's up with the geometry on the rear or maybe the springs are too stiff? I see re drilled holes in your lower control arm mounts and several positions for the uppers. Is that all new too or was it working prior to the coil overs? Have you cycled the rear without the coilover? Lots of possibilities. Might contact Rebel and see what they think. I can't think of anyone here who is running that kit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Whats the installing shop saying Roger? Could it be you just haven't flexed it far enough so that the ass end flexes more? Do you have access to a fork lift or one of those flex stands to see if you can a front corner higher to check that?. Aj had a good suggestion to cycle less the coilovers to make sure there isn't any binding there.

rogerk93

I don't really see an issue with the coilover mounting. Something's up with the geometry on the rear or maybe the springs are too stiff? I see re drilled holes in your lower control arm mounts and several positions for the uppers. Is that all new too or was it working prior to the coil overs? Have you cycled the rear without the coilover? Lots of possibilities. Might contact Rebel and see what they think. I can't think of anyone here who is running that kit.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

The teraflex comes with those holes for the control arms to give you some adjustment but they weren’t moved from where they were before.

rogerk93

Whats the installing shop saying Roger? Could it be you just haven't flexed it far enough so that the ass end flexes more? Do you have access to a fork lift or one of those flex stands to see if you can a front corner higher to check that?. Aj had a good suggestion to cycle less the coilovers to make sure there isn't any binding there.

They think it’s rebel offroad it’s perfect the way it is, but I have flexed it plenty of times and the back wheel just comes off the ground the pictures I posted was something I quickly did yesterday for the picture. I’m going to remove the springs from the coil overs today and cycle the suspension to see what happens I didn’t think of that.

J

JKDream

They think it’s rebel offroad it’s perfect the way it is, but I have flexed it plenty of times and the back wheel just comes off the ground the pictures I posted was something I quickly did yesterday for the picture. I’m going to remove the springs from the coil overs today and cycle the suspension to see what happens I didn’t think of that.

Based on this photo it looks like the coilovers are mounted too far inward, and not outboard which is probably causing them to bind. Notice how the right side isn't straight up and down at flex, it's actually pointing in towards the center section.
You should be able to get that tire full stuff if you aren't limited by your bumps.
I know WAL has mentioned a few times the rear setup on this kit has limited travel due to the mounting locations.

I-Eat-Mud

Based on this photo it looks like the coilovers are mounted too far inward, and not outboard which is probably causing them to bind. Notice how the right side isn't straight up and down at flex, it's actually pointing in towards the center section.
You should be able to get that tire full stuff if you aren't limited by your bumps.
I know WAL has mentioned a few times the rear setup on this kit has limited travel due to the mounting locations.

I wasn't going to say that, because I was not sure. But I was thinking the same thing looking at it.

rogerk93

That’s the first thing I noticed when I first flexed the Jeep, that’s why I was saying if I cut those brackets off on the axle and basically rotated them to make them parallel with the tube it would give the coil over room to sway to more so it won’t be binding up.

BaddestCross

That’s the first thing I noticed when I first flexed the Jeep, that’s why I was saying if I cut those brackets off on the axle and basically rotated them to make them parallel with the tube it would give the coil over room to sway to more so it won’t be binding up.

I'd think that by doing that you'd have a problem binding with the axis front to back which could be a bigger problem.

This design needs the shocks mounted on a ball joint to work properly from what I can see.
--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

J

JKDream

I think if you did this, you might end up having clearance issues with the hole cut into the tub.
You might have to move the upper mount a bit inward to avoid the spring catching, just something to keep in mind.

IMG_5321.jpg
IMG_5320.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Not trying to be a smartass but if this is the articulation you get outta that kit I'd be calling them up on this "guarantee" from their website:

"There isn�t a black marked trail that the new Recon Xtreme kit can�t dominate! From Unlimited�s outfitted with Dana 44�s to rock crushing Dana 60�s, articulation is simply unrivaled. Longer, safer, and more purpose built than any other suspension package - guaranteed."

Unrivaled indeed. :rolleyes2: Have you had any contact with them?

BaddestCross

Not trying to be a smartass but if this is the articulation you get outta that kit I'd be calling them up on this "guarantee" from their website:

"There isn�t a black marked trail that the new Recon Xtreme kit can�t dominate! From Unlimited�s outfitted with Dana 44�s to rock crushing Dana 60�s, articulation is simply unrivaled. Longer, safer, and more purpose built than any other suspension package - guaranteed."

This. Assuming it was installed properly, it looks like bolt-on coilovers get more flex at a lower cost. 🤪

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

rogerk93

I haven’t had the chance to call them yet but I will definitely call them and see what they say because it dosnt make sense I got more flex from my Currie springs and king shocks.

Top Bottom