Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evo skins and northeast salt

Evo skins and northeast salt

Getting ready to install skins next week. I'm in pa so salt and rust are a concern. Already ordered stainless rivnuts(and Amazon tool). Plan on drilling,painting holes,and siliconing holes. Any extra measures I can take to prevent salt in northeast winters? Thanks in advance

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpen View Post
    Getting ready to install skins next week. I'm in pa so salt and rust are a concern. Already ordered stainless rivnuts(and Amazon tool). Plan on drilling,painting holes,and siliconing holes. Any extra measures I can take to prevent salt in northeast winters? Thanks in advance
    Well if you run a silicone bead around the edges there's not a whole lot that you can do otherwise.

You could try the aluminum skins. I’ll order those to replace my steel skins when they start to rust.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    JK07

Rubicat

I take mine off every year - Feb/March - to repaint and clean up behind them. I used the SS nutserts as well. I coated the holes really well with metal etching primer by painting it on and after that dried I coated everything in silicone. Also run a bead of silicone along the top edge of the skins too but leave the bottom open - moisture has to have someplace to go. I didn't bother with powdercoating, I just use a good spraypaint. That's really about all you can do. I am always pleasantly surprised at how they've held up so far. there's some junk buildup behind the skins but really isn't too bad.

Good luck with install. Pretty straighforward - just remember the strap trick to snug them around the tail light/cargo openings. The other thing I did was drill the holes directly through the holes in the skins instead of marking them and taking the skins off to drill them out. Doesn't give the drill bit the chance to walk and then the holes not line up.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Knows a Thing or Two BlackKnight's Avatar
    I have thierSkids, I put them on this past spring, I'll let you know how they look next spring. but already scraped alot of the Powercoat off, already started keeping them touched up...
    --
    BlackKnight -- Commando Green JKU Sport
    Mods:
    Installed: EVO Pro Series Front Bump,
    EVO rear bumper facia and "D" rings, Tow Package, SuperWinch
    Plastidip Grill/Rims,Custom Grill Inserts, Powerstop Drilled and slotted Brakes F/R, Painted Interior Accents
    In progress:

Upcoming Mods: EVO Boatside sliders

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    The other thing I did was drill the holes directly through the holes in the skins instead of marking them and taking the skins off to drill them out. Doesn't give the drill bit the chance to walk and then the holes not line up.
    This is really good advice. I rushed through mine and ended up having alignment issues.
    Now have a couple of nutserts installed cockeyed to catch a thread.
    Been meaning to fix them, but not really sure how to replace the sheet metal that was already drilled lol.

The nutserts are a really tight fit so painting the holes seems like a lost cause to me. The paint would scrap off when the nutserts get tapped or pushed in. Silicone is probably your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bear_JKU View Post
    The nutserts are a really tight fit so painting the holes seems like a lost cause to me. The paint would scrap off when the nutserts get tapped or pushed in. Silicone is probably your best bet.

Believe me, when you live in the Northeast and all of your shit starts to rusts when you even mention the words "road salt" every bit helps. Its worth the 10 minutes it takes to brush a coat of paint in/on the holes.
    https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...build-of-Gruff

Gruff 2014 JKU Moneypit
    Badger 2019 JLUR waiting for scraps

Evo skins and northeast salt

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Believe me, when you live in the Northeast and all of your shit starts to rusts when you even mention the words "road salt" every bit helps. Its worth the 10 minutes it takes to brush a coat of paint in/on the holes.
    Oh I can imagine. In my case I tried it on one side and after the majority of the holes I painted were scraped off by the nutserts being installed I threw in the towel. Luckily rust isn’t a major concern where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Bear_JKU; 07-14-2018 at 04:40 AM.

The Original Smartass piginajeep's Avatar
    Personally I wouldn’t run skins in the east coast if I was paid to do it. At some point it will rust.
    2012 JK8
    1958 FC170 (Jeep Forward Control)
    1953 M38A1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast