Evo skins and northeast salt

jmpen

Getting ready to install skins next week. I'm in pa so salt and rust are a concern. Already ordered stainless rivnuts(and Amazon tool). Plan on drilling,painting holes,and siliconing holes. Any extra measures I can take to prevent salt in northeast winters? Thanks in advance

Whiskeyjack

Getting ready to install skins next week. I'm in pa so salt and rust are a concern. Already ordered stainless rivnuts(and Amazon tool). Plan on drilling,painting holes,and siliconing holes. Any extra measures I can take to prevent salt in northeast winters? Thanks in advance

Well if you run a silicone bead around the edges there's not a whole lot that you can do otherwise.

Ddays

Hooked
I take mine off every year - Feb/March - to repaint and clean up behind them. I used the SS nutserts as well. I coated the holes really well with metal etching primer by painting it on and after that dried I coated everything in silicone. Also run a bead of silicone along the top edge of the skins too but leave the bottom open - moisture has to have someplace to go. I didn't bother with powdercoating, I just use a good spraypaint. That's really about all you can do. I am always pleasantly surprised at how they've held up so far. there's some junk buildup behind the skins but really isn't too bad.

Good luck with install. Pretty straighforward - just remember the strap trick to snug them around the tail light/cargo openings. The other thing I did was drill the holes directly through the holes in the skins instead of marking them and taking the skins off to drill them out. Doesn't give the drill bit the chance to walk and then the holes not line up.

BlackKnight

I have thierSkids, I put them on this past spring, I'll let you know how they look next spring. but already scraped alot of the Powercoat off, already started keeping them touched up...

J

JKDream

The other thing I did was drill the holes directly through the holes in the skins instead of marking them and taking the skins off to drill them out. Doesn't give the drill bit the chance to walk and then the holes not line up.

This is really good advice. I rushed through mine and ended up having alignment issues.
Now have a couple of nutserts installed cockeyed to catch a thread.
Been meaning to fix them, but not really sure how to replace the sheet metal that was already drilled lol.

Bear_JT

Hooked
The nutserts are a really tight fit so painting the holes seems like a lost cause to me. The paint would scrap off when the nutserts get tapped or pushed in. Silicone is probably your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
The nutserts are a really tight fit so painting the holes seems like a lost cause to me. The paint would scrap off when the nutserts get tapped or pushed in. Silicone is probably your best bet.

Believe me, when you live in the Northeast and all of your shit starts to rusts when you even mention the words "road salt" every bit helps. Its worth the 10 minutes it takes to brush a coat of paint in/on the holes.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Believe me, when you live in the Northeast and all of your shit starts to rusts when you even mention the words "road salt" every bit helps. Its worth the 10 minutes it takes to brush a coat of paint in/on the holes.

Oh I can imagine. In my case I tried it on one side and after the majority of the holes I painted were scraped off by the nutserts being installed I threw in the towel. Luckily rust isn’t a major concern where I live.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Personally I wouldn’t run skins in the east coast if I was paid to do it. At some point it will rust.

Top Bottom