Does the "L" in JL WRANGLER = LEAN to the LEFT?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From the moment that Cindy and I first laid eyes on JET Li, our 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, we could see that he had a slight lean to one side. Nothing major mind you and really, maybe not even enough to mention but there it was. Of course, all the JK Wranglers we've ever owned all had a lean as well and so, this was far from being a surprise to us. However, what was a surprise was that JET's lean was to the left - as in, to the driver side and of course, for anyone who's ever owned a JK, you'd know that they all have a lean to the right or passenger side.

With a large tank running along the length of the passenger side frame rail, it's pretty easy to see how a lean to that side could occur, especially when it's full. With gasoline weighing about 6 lbs. a gallon, a full 4-door tank will weigh over 130 lbs. and if you add in the gas tank itself and its skid plate, you pretty much have the weight of a grown man standing on that side. So... how is it possible that a JL Wrangler has a lean to the LEFT?

While helping a friend do some suspension R&D, we pulled our factory Rubicon coils and decided to measure them against a set Sahara and Sport coils to see if there was in fact a difference between them and if so, by how much. Initially, we just checked 2 front and 2 rear coils and could see right away that there was a difference but then, when we decided it might be a good idea to compare all 4 front and rear coils and discovered something rather interesting.

The photo below shows our driver side Rubicon front coil on the left, a driver side Sahara front coil in the center and while there is a slight difference between the two, both are measurably shorter than our passenger side front coil. In fact, we measured almost a 1" difference.

20180711190518-f7a3df9f-me.jpg

I should note that the rear coils weren't as pronounced as the fronts but the passenger side was still in fact taller but by maybe only 1/2".

So, what does all this mean you might ask? Well, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Jeep has taken steps to help mitigate the lean we've all been seeing on JK's for years and have done so for the JL Wrangler by installing springs on the passenger side that can hold up more weight. What this also means is that JL Wrangler coils are in fact side specific (driver side coils having green tags and the passenger side having gray tags) and that aftermarket coils will most likely cause a slight lean to the right - this of course is due to the fact that they are typically made the same size.

jdofmemi

It is interesting that they would change the springs to fix the lean.
It seems like it would be easier/cheaper to put a spacer in to level it which would leave the spring rate even side to side.
Does the difference in spring length affect the spring rate? Can you tell while driving, like at bridge crossings and such?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is interesting that they would change the springs to fix the lean.
It seems like it would be easier/cheaper to put a spacer in to level it which would leave the spring rate even side to side.
Does the difference in spring length affect the spring rate? Can you tell while driving, like at bridge crossings and such?

If the spring rates are in fact different, I don't know if I could say that I noticed.

From the moment that Cindy and I first laid eyes on JET Li, our 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, we could see that he had a slight lean to one side. Nothing major mind you and really, maybe not even enough to mention but there it was. Of course, all the JK Wranglers we've ever owned all had a lean as well and so, this was far from being a surprise to us. However, what was a surprise was that JET's lean was to the left - as in, to the driver side and of course, for anyone who's ever owned a JK, you'd know that they all have a lean to the right or passenger side.

With a large tank running along the length of the passenger side frame rail, it's pretty easy to see how a lean to that side could occur, especially when it's full. With gasoline weighing about 6 lbs. a gallon, a full 4-door tank will weigh over 130 lbs. and if you add in the gas tank itself and its skid plate, you pretty much have the weight of a grown man standing on that side. So... how is it possible that a JL Wrangler has a lean to the LEFT?

While helping a friend do some suspension R&D, we pulled our factory Rubicon coils and decided to measure them against a set Sahara and Sport coils to see if there was in fact a difference between them and if so, by how much. Initially, we just checked 2 front and 2 rear coils and could see right away that there was a difference but then, when we decided it might be a good idea to compare all 4 front and rear coils and discovered something rather interesting.

The photo below shows our driver side Rubicon front coil on the left, a driver side Sahara front coil in the center and while there is a slight difference between the two, both are measurably shorter than our passenger side front coil. In fact, we measured almost a 1" difference.

20180711190518-f7a3df9f-me.jpg

I should note that the rear coils weren't as pronounced as the fronts but the passenger side was still in fact taller but by maybe only 1/2".

So, what does all this mean you might ask? Well, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Jeep has taken steps to help mitigate the lean we've all been seeing on JK's for years and have done so for the JL Wrangler by installing springs on the passenger side that can hold up more weight. What this also means is that JL Wrangler coils are in fact side specific (driver side coils having green tags and the passenger side having gray tags) and that aftermarket coils will most likely cause a slight lean to the right - this of course is due to the fact that they are typically made the same size.

Great post Eddie that could become a problem later down the road as you stated the weight of the gas tank and the skids, but i'm with you i don't think i can either.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
This caused me to run out to the garage and look at my new springs from my new as yet uninstalled coils. The Mopar box kit coils are the same way with one side being taller than the other side.
The instructions have assigned a spring per corner by part number so as not to mess things up. Although, it does not tell you again later in the illustrations which is which. So the parts list is important to the install in that regard.
Maybe other kits will do the same, but at least I can say the factory Jeep lift takes care of lean for sure.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
This caused me to run out to the garage and look at my new springs from my new as yet uninstalled coils. The Mopar box kit coils are the same way with one side being taller than the other side.
The instructions have assigned a spring per corner by part number so as not to mess things up. Although, it does not tell you again later in the illustrations which is which. So the parts list is important to the install in that regard.
Maybe other kits will do the same, but at least I can say the factory Jeep lift takes care of lean for sure.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seth

I have always appreciated how Jeep has tried to fix things over the years. They may not address everything we would like them to, but at least they consistently address some things over time.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
That's some interesting and cool facts. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TrailHunter

Hooked
Are you noticing the lean more on an empty tank?

Funny because yesterday my family headed out on vacation.... and my Old man calls me while following the JK and says “I think your rear passenger tire is low....” I said, “I doubt it... unless there is bad tire bulge it’s probably Jeep Lean”.. at the next stop I put a gage on the tires... all perfect.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, I don't know how necessary it'll be to do but yes, there are other companies that are making corner specific coils. Rancho just released their new 3.5" kit and theirs are corner specific and I know that EVO's is as well. However, the testing I've gotten to do recently showed little to no real difference with springs that are all the same size. Again, the lean I'm seeing is actually being CAUSED by the taller springs on the passenger side.

I have always appreciated how Jeep has tried to fix things over the years. They may not address everything we would like them to, but at least they consistently address some things over time.

Jeep has made a LOT of improvements on the JL. :yup:

Are you noticing the lean more on an empty tank?

Funny because yesterday my family headed out on vacation.... and my Old man calls me while following the JK and says “I think your rear passenger tire is low....” I said, “I doubt it... unless there is bad tire bulge it’s probably Jeep Lean”.. at the next stop I put a gage on the tires... all perfect.

Yes, when the tank is near empty, I do see it a bit more but when I really see it is when I load up the Jeep with gear. I have since learned to put most of the heaviest stuff on the passenger side/down the middle and I get a nice stance :crazyeyes:

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Honestly, I don't know how necessary it'll be to do but yes, there are other companies that are making corner specific coils. Rancho just released their new 3.5" kit and theirs are corner specific and I know that EVO's is as well. However, the testing I've gotten to do recently showed little to no real difference with springs that are all the same size. Again, the lean I'm seeing is actually being CAUSED by the taller springs on the passenger side.

The lean in my Jeeps has usually been caused my my big ass sitting in it. :D

Top Bottom