New to jk

waynepriddy

I just got a 2008 jku rubicon. Anything I should be aware of? I’m not familiar with the 3.8. It has 99k miles on it and it’s all stock and highway miles. It does have XRC front and rear bumpers. I’m not new to Jeeps I have a 2004 rubicon as well just don’t know much about the newer Jeeps. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WJCO

Meme King
I meant issues with the jk model or motor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've seen a few with spun rod bearings. Just keep the oil changed regularly to try and prevent anything like that. We've got the same motor with 185k on it with no issues so far, so hopefully yours will remain trouble-free.

Also not uncommon for EGR valve to plug with carbon and the exhaust manifolds will probably crack at some point.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a few with spun rod bearings. Just keep the oil changed regularly to try and prevent anything like that. We've got the same motor with 185k on it with no issues so far, so hopefully yours will remain trouble-free.

Also not uncommon for EGR valve to plug with carbon and the exhaust manifolds will probably crack at some point.

What WJCO said ^^^^

Also, if it hasn't already been done, new plugs and wires and regular maintenance of everything would be a good thing to so at 100k. You might even be in need of new O2 sensors soon.

waynepriddy

What WJCO said ^^^^

Also, if it hasn't already been done, new plugs and wires and regular maintenance of everything would be a good thing to so at 100k. You might even be in need of new O2 sensors soon.

Thanks guys

waynepriddy

The 3.8 is surprisingly pretty reliable. It is however a boat anchor. Lol.

lol thx but I’m not building a race car. Just making sure i don’t need to do anything to make it better or more reliable than regular maintenance.

Some 3.8s were oil burners. My 08 was until Jeep rebuilt my motor at 68,000KM under warranty.

Check your oil religiously. I had 250,000KM on mine when I traded it in for a 2016, nothing major. Reliable.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Welcome! I would change all the fluids- oil, trans, transfer case, axles, flush the brake fluid, and you're probably due for new coolant too.

I'm a .50 beowulf guy myself. Also do .300BLK. 6.5 grendel that good? Maybe I need a new upper. :thinking:

TheGrendel

Welcome! I would change all the fluids- oil, trans, transfer case, axles, flush the brake fluid, and you're probably due for new coolant too.

I'm a .50 beowulf guy myself. Also do .300BLK. 6.5 grendel that good? Maybe I need a new upper. :thinking:

Maybe? The answer is always, I need a new upper. :D

Top Bottom