Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner...

  1. #1
    Nothing but a Thing sipafz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,269

    Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner...

    Every once and awhile, life throws ya a bone. In our case, my wife won a trip to Phoenix, Arizona for 4 nights at plus airfare for two. We are thinking about going during January or February 2019 when the Wisconsin winter is at its worst. I’m hoping to rent a Jeep for our sightseeing trips. We will have 3 full days to do some exploring.

    Having never been to the area, I’m hoping that all of you can make some recommendations on what to do and where to go (or what to avoid). I’m not looking to do any “wheeling” per se, but just some exploring that maybe includes some light hiking.

    The only plans we have thus far is to make the trip up to the Grand Canyon. We might do the Grand Canyon Railway trip out of Williams, cowboys and all 🤣. Other than that, we were thinking about exploring Sedona.

    I appreciate any recommendations (or warnings) you care to give.

    Thanks,

    Sipafz - Chris

  2. #2
    Old Timer Jsouder53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Gallatin Gateway, Montana
    Posts
    3,074
    Congrats!!! Have never really been to the area so I can’t help with any recommendations


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  3. #3
    Addict jesse3638's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Apple Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,028
    Congrats on the trip. If you decide to do the Grand Canyon railway upgrade to the bar car with the upper deck seating. No kids and better views. My friend took the trip and highly recommended that as he took a regular car to the canyon and upgraded for his return.

    Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

  4. #4
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    26,750
    Visit Sedona.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

  5. #5
    Knows a Thing or Two Edwrds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Visit Sedona.
    Yes very nice


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2016 JKU

  6. #6
    Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,141
    Sedona is fun but not a quick trip, bit of a drive not sure how much traveling you want to do in three days. If you like hiking there’s plenty of mountains (you can also drive up them If you’re like me and don’t feel like climbing hundreds of feet for the view). Phoenix itself has pretty much everything imaginable as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing sipafz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse3638 View Post
    Congrats on the trip. If you decide to do the Grand Canyon railway upgrade to the bar car with the upper deck seating. No kids and better views. My friend took the trip and highly recommended that as he took a regular car to the canyon and upgraded for his return.

    Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Thanks for the recommendation! Looks like they include breakfast items in the morning along with snacks and champagne on the return trip. Seems like a nice, relaxing way to travel and we are definitely doing this! We might add on a bus tour to complete this “spoon fed” sightseeing trip.

  8. #8
    Nothing but a Thing sipafz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsouder53 View Post
    Congrats!!! Have never really been to the area so I can’t help with any recommendations
    Thanks! We’re looking forward to it!

    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Visit Sedona.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwrds View Post
    Yes very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Sedona is fun but not a quick trip, bit of a drive not sure how much traveling you want to do in three days. If you like hiking there’s plenty of mountains (you can also drive up them If you’re like me and don’t feel like climbing hundreds of feet for the view). Phoenix itself has pretty much everything imaginable as well.
    Sedona looks to be less than 2hrs from our hotel, so not a bad drive. The plan includes visiting Cathedral Rock, some winery stops and some light hiking TBD. Finding a Jeep to rent has been a bit challenging. So far, Enterprise is the only company I found, but $210 a day isn’t going to happen. I might end up with a convertible sports car or something like a Ford Explorer for $70 a day.

    Sounds like we will spend the third day at the hotel just relaxing before heading home the next day. We will be staying at the JW Marriott and it looks to be quite extravagant!

  9. #9
    Addict Ddays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Darlington, Pa
    Posts
    8,208
    Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    Sounds like we will spend the third day at the hotel just relaxing before heading home the next day.
    Screw that! You can relax back home the next day! Spend the day exploring the outskirts of Phoenix. Scottsdale has some rally cool areas to check out too. If you can spend a couple hours walking around Old Scottsdale. There are some really cool shops there.

    X3 on Sedona. The drive up Oak Creek Canyon is very cool!

  10. #10
    Nothing but a Thing sipafz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Saukville, Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    Screw that! You can relax back home the next day! Spend the day exploring the outskirts of Phoenix. Scottsdale has some rally cool areas to check out too. If you can spend a couple hours walking around Old Scottsdale. There are some really cool shops there.

    X3 on Sedona. The drive up Oak Creek Canyon is very cool!
    Haha, you just made my wife’s day! Shopping around Old Scottsdale is added to day three. Thank you for the suggestion Jerry!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BE POST #100 and WIN - jsukey is the WINNER
    By wayoflife in forum Announcements & Support
    Replies: 189
    Last Post: 02-06-2018, 05:56 PM
  2. Winner?
    By osxgeek in forum The 8th Slot
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-12-2014, 01:26 AM
  3. Fir-na-tine - You are the WINNER!!!
    By wayoflife in forum The 8th Slot
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM
  4. munstie - YOU ARE THE WINNER!!
    By wayoflife in forum Announcements & Support
    Replies: 96
    Last Post: 05-16-2013, 08:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS