Revolution Front axle shafts, inner seals, and pro steer ball joints aftermath report

zimm

Caught the Bug
I just wrapped up a 9 hour work day putting in Revolution chromoly front axle shafts, new inner seals, and dynatrac prosteer ball joints.

Everything came apart pretty easily. Had to drop the PSC steering ram, drag link, and tie rod. Pull caliper brackets and rotors. 35mm socket for axle nuts. 13mm 12 point gear wrench for the unit bearings.

I used the wayalife write up here: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/3337-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-Axle-Shaft-Removal-amp-Replacement

I bought an OTC ball joint press and adaptors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRGXY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and the jeep adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SRGW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't think the OTC press is the best one. It's shorter than the kind that's in the dynatrac pro-steer instructions. I also had an issue with the jeep adapter. The long cup that holds the lower ball joint as it's pressed out was a tad too short so everything got jammed up. I tried adding spacers, but the "C" isn't large enough. I ended up using a cut off wheel and chopping 1/2" off the old ball joint stud and then it popped right out. The other side came out okay without cutting the stud. It is super heavy duty though, so no issues using a 3' cheater bar on a socket wrench to get enough torque.

The pro-steers went right in using the $10 dynatrac adapters, the angled jeep adapter, and the parts from the OTC kit. Of course I forgot the ABS wire brackets so I had to cut the cotter pins and re-do the upper nuts to put them on.

View attachment 305806

View attachment 305807

View attachment 305808

View attachment 305809

Next up was to drop the differential out. I loosened the bearing caps and used a pry bar to gently nudge it forward. Then it came out by hand. One shim was on each side. The old seals popped out with broom stick and hammer. The axle tubes were full of sand from the Everglades.

View attachment 305813

I blew all that crap out with an air hose and pushed a rag with the broom stick to clean it out. I put the driver's side seal in myself, but the passenger one required coaching the wife to use a 2lb sledge on the broom stick and hammer the seal in. I cut a small screw to the right length to hold the rubicon locker sensor plunger out and put a zip tie on it for easy removal. The carrier went back in without a fuss and I had to tap the final shim in with a plastic hammer. I had a lube locker gasket, so that stayed. Put the cover on and filled with gear lube.

View attachment 305814

View attachment 305815

The next surprise was the revolution axle shafts come unassembled! So out came the OTC press, which just so happens to work on u-joints too. I pressed the first joint in then discovered you have to put the circle clips on first! Doh! I had to remove and re-install the u-joint, then fight the clips to get them to seat. I was a little surprised to find the joints are the same size as stock, so I guess I have stronger chromoly steel, but not a size upgrade to the u-joints. After assembly I shot the joints and a few inches of axle shaft with flat black rustoleum to fight rust. They slid in and a few taps with a hammer seated them.

Notice how the shaft on the revolution steps up in diameter about halfway through. Stock doesn't do that.

View attachment 305825

View attachment 305826

I put the unit bearing on and glanced over at the dust shield laying on the floor. Doh! Re-did that and put the dust shield on. Did the other side. Ready for the disc brakes and they don't fit. Dust shields are backwards. Remove unit bearings (I'm getting good at it). Remove dust shields and throw in trash. Re-install unit bearings and calipers. Put wheels on and did a successful test drive!

View attachment 305827

Last edited:

GreggNY

Sounds like a long day but nice work getting it all done. Gotta love the unexpected extra work that always pops up lol. I’m wishing I sprayed my chromoly shafts before throwing them in!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good2Go

Please tell me you were drinking a beer as you were typing this. You deserve one!

Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom