Cracked Touch Screen, Cherokee & Grand Cherokee.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

If you happen to crack the screen in your Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee(and many Chrysler models for that matter), there is relatively cheap and easy fix. First of, I checked with my contact at my local dealer. There is two ways to go about this if going through the stealership.
Option 1. Dealer can replace just the touch screen for a small fee of $900 but, if that doesn’t fix it they will gladly charge you another $1000 to replace the entire unit.
Option 2. Get a new head unit up front and skip the touch screen replacement, $1000.
What in the duck? Option number 2 would be a no brainer.
Well, if you are a relatively gentle person with a little finesse, you can easily replace the touch screen yourself at home for just under $200.
Details of the incident are not disclosed due to rated R content.
Check the number on the back of head unit to ensure correct screen is ordered. In this case VP3
IMG_6990.jpg
Pop your head unit out, easy and breezy. Proceed to remove few Torx screws, take apart.
IMG_7030.jpg
Out with the old, in with the new.
IMG_7032.jpg
Make sure to remove most of the old foam padding from the frame and try to leave as much of the sticky strip underneath, for the new screen to have something to adhere to.
IMG_7035.jpg
Lastly, put everything back together and enjoy jamming out to Justin Bieber again
IMG_7037.jpg

Screen ordered here:
https://www.factoryradioparts.com

Great ‘how to’ here:
https://youtu.be/iplXJEgZfco
I wouldn’t use a screw gun or the utility knife, like the inked up fella in the video. I used a razor blade pictured above and just your good old screw driver.

Mods remove links if inaaprioate.

Pat yourself on the back and enjoy a cold beer [emoji481]🤙[emoji41][emoji123][emoji631][emoji8]

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked

Great write up but how the hell can you crack the screen [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Nice to know that those are replaceable! I’m sure that it was all your fault! [emoji38]

wjtstudios

Hooked
Crazy, but cool fix. My kids smashed the one in my wife traverse. 900 down the drain. Didn’t even think about ordering one and fixing it myself. Moral of the story, don’t let the kids play in the damn car.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Congrats on however the hell you did it [emoji106]

Congrats on the repair or the break? [emoji848]
Crazy, but cool fix. My kids smashed the one in my wife traverse. 900 down the drain. Didn’t even think about ordering one and fixing it myself. Moral of the story, don’t let the kids play in the damn car.

I’ll do if for you for $750 next time, parts and labor [emoji6]

Chris1015

This is a good one...nice work on both ends. I still haven't removed the factory film cover on my screen. Was actually looking at it yesterday and thought I better clean the dust off the film lmao

Top Bottom