Question

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Kind of a waste of money in my opinion. Why are you feeling like you're in need of more power?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just wanted to here people’s thoughts on this, but sure, who wouldn’t want more power in their vehicle?

I dunno, even running 37's on my old TJ, I always thought my 4.0L did pretty good. For how much they cost, turbos and super chargers are kind of a waste especially being that they don't really offer up that much more power and what little you get, all comes in at the wrong times. Again, for me personally, I wouldn't do it.

98XJ06LJ

A turbo would be most beneficial for highway driving. Also for day to day on road power. As far as trail driving.... I see no real benefits. The lag waiting for boost when trying to climb a ledge or rock face would just be frustrating. The other issue is putting a turbo on an engine that was designed to be naturally aspirated can be asking for trouble. Head gaskets, crank and connecting rods, detonation due to lean fuel burn if you don't tune correctly.

I'm on both sides of the fence on this issue. I own three Jeeps with 4.0,s in them. All have lift and tires. All have a programmer and cold air mods. And yes, I would still like a little more power but don't want to go through the engine swap process to v-8. Then there are overheating issues and a long list of quirks to work out.

It really just comes down to Jeep usage and what you want out of your rig. If your going to go turbo you better be prepared to do a complete engine and fuel system build. If your going V-8 power then it's still fuel system, cooling system and complete engine and transmission/ transfer case build. Anyway, sorry for the novel..... Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

PT1400

Honestly, for me, regearing is where I'd start. Unless you're building a prerunner or a highway king, gearing will give you more where it counts. Regearing will also be easier on the engine, trans, & t-case.

Like you said who wouldn't want more power. Either way, with a turbo or v8 swap, you're looking at overheating issues and (more importantly) wishing you had a bigger fuel tank.

Now, if you're Eddie, order an LSx, bigger axles, etc. 😂

jbg_132

Honestly, for me, regearing is where I'd start. Unless you're building a prerunner or a highway king, gearing will give you more where it counts. Regearing will also be easier on the engine, trans, & t-case.

Like you said who wouldn't want more power. Either way, with a turbo or v8 swap, you're looking at overheating issues and (more importantly) wishing you had a bigger fuel tank.

Now, if you're Eddie, order an LSx, bigger axles, etc. [emoji23]

I’ve been thinking of regearing, I’m running 32x 11.50 tires with a 4” lift, and I believe 3.73 gears.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

I always thought it would be a somewhat useless but still rather fun "junkyard" turbo project. At a glance, the motor seems like a decent candidate. Low CR, with lots of room to modify a stock a manifold, and a tough tranny. I don't know what the rings or rods are like though. Something like a T3 off an old Volvo would be cheap and "fun"... if you consider that sort of thing fun (which I do occasionally). But again... pretty much worthless off road, and probably quite troublesome in the heat department.

Top Bottom