Starting issues

GLH

I have a 2010 JK Rubicon, it's seems that about every 2 weeks I have an intermitant start problem. I put the key in the ignition go to start and it seems that the starter bumps the engine and stops. The engine fails to start. It finally starts on the 3rd attempt. Starter and battery have been replaced along with cleaning and checking battery and starter cables. It does this with 2 different keys and my remote start feature. It's been doing this for a few months and it's driving me and my mechanic crazy trying to figure it out. Has anybody else had this issue?? Does anybody have any ideas???? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I have a 2010 JK Rubicon, it's seems that about every 2 weeks I have an intermitant start problem. I put the key in the ignition go to start and it seems that the starter bumps the engine and stops. The engine fails to start. It finally starts on the 3rd attempt. Starter and battery have been replaced along with cleaning and checking battery and starter cables. It does this with 2 different keys and my remote start feature. It's been doing this for a few months and it's driving me and my mechanic crazy trying to figure it out. Has anybody else had this issue?? Does anybody have any ideas???? Anything would be greatly appreciated!!!

You could have some broken teeth on your flexplate/flywheel. If there is a small section missing, it can cause that. There is just enough surface area for the starter to catch and turn the engine but not enough to fully turn it over. The only way to see this is to remove the starter and spin the engine by hand while you look at every tooth. Prior to replacing the starter, was there any grinding noises when starting it?

DogHouse

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Not sure what the actual cause is but mine does the same thing every now and then. Next time just turn the key to run hold your foot on the brake and put the transmission in Neutral and try to start it again, should fire right up. Mine has been doing it since I bought it back in October of 2015. I think it has something to do with the parking pawl in the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

I had a similar issue on a Ford once.

There was corrosion on the inside of the positive battery cable. It concentrated at a low spot in the cable, and while on the outside it looked fine, inside the wires were nearly gone.

Everything would work until you tried the starter, then everything would go out.

If you can, put a voltmeter on the positive cable near the starter. At rest it will show 12 volts, or it should. See if it drops substantially when you try to crank it.

That may not be the issue, but is one more thing to eliminate as a cause.

Ruvicon

My 2008 JKUR does the same thing occasionally, so I move the auto trans lever from Park to Neutral and back and it cranks right up. There must be an adjustment off on the neutral safety switch, but I haven’t messed with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom