ARB vs Dometic vs Engel vs Other?

HoosierWolf

Okay, I'm seriously considering biting the bullet and the wife is even on board with this, of buying an electric fridge freezer. I know there are a bunch of folks on here using ARB fridge/freezers and love them. I've seen some folks raving about the Dometics and the Engels on boat or RV forums. Anyone have an opinion on why one is better than the others, or link to reviews, etc?

I'm pretty sure all three are quality products. I've heard the Dometics are the most energy efficient but that isn't to say the ARBs or Engels are not efficient. The ARBs seem to be the most popular among off roaders. Are they maybe better armored or less apt to be damaged by constant jarring?

HoosierWolf

Looks like ARBs are made for them to ARBs specs by Dometic. I'm kinda leaning towards one of the two of them anyway.

Ddays

Hooked
I am close to buying one of these but still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm actually leaning Dometic. These guys supply a shitload of fridges/freezers for the RV and travel trailer manufacturers. With the money saved it'd buy the slide and wiring kit.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Some RV forum. The didn't seem to prefer one over the other.

If so, then the same factory in China makes them both. I just bought an ARB and, like a lot of things these days, it’s Made in China. But it kept my drinks cold on the trail this past weekend, so I’m happy.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
I am close to buying one of these but still haven't pulled the trigger. I'm actually leaning Dometic. These guys supply a shitload of fridges/freezers for the RV and travel trailer manufacturers. With the money saved it'd buy the slide and wiring kit.

I looked pretty closely at both ARB and Dometic. I think both are good quality and the prices are comparable. For me it came down to a few things. First, dimensions. I have a particular set up requiring particular dimensions. ARB fit better. Second, top removal. Both tops will hinge up to open. But with the ARB, you can also remove the top completely with a pull maneuver, which was helpful for my set up. Third, and less importantly, the Dometic light shines in your eyes whereas the ARB light does not.

PokerStogey

I am really trying to pull the trigger on one of these bad boys... someday, someday! In the meantime, I really appreciate everyone’s write-ups, reviews and questions on the topic.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I own 2 ARB fridge freezers and love them BUT, I'd be lying if I said that the Dometic isn't nicer. Costs a lot more though and as mentioned, the dimensions of it isn't as JK or JL friendly.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I’ve been well pleased with my ARB, on my trip, these two weeks, but as DDays said, nearly every RV you see, has Domestic refrigerators & air conditioners in them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I own 2 ARB fridge freezers and love them BUT, I'd be lying if I said that the Dometic isn't nicer. Costs a lot more though and as mentioned, the dimensions of it isn't as JK or JL friendly.

I haven't compared dimensions between the two. Good point there. I've found the 50 qt Dometic to be about $100 cheaper than the ARB on Amazon plus free shipping. Granted there are usually free shipping deals to be had with the ARB as well plus a free insulating cover at times.

I’ve been well pleased with my ARB, on my trip, these two weeks, but as DDays said, nearly every RV you see, has Domestic refrigerators & air conditioners

This is what's kinda making me lean Dometic. I checked out the fridge in wife's horse trailer and it's very well made. IDK, both are really nice fridges. Gotta compare the dimensions as Eddie noted above..

HoosierWolf

"....the dimensions of it isn't as JK or JL friendly" This might be what it really comes down to for me. I need to check over dimensions.

Being able to take the lid completely off sounds like a really nice feature though. I could do that with my old Coleman electric cooler and it was really handy.

Top Bottom