South Korean Timken Unit Bearings

JoeB-JKURX

Looking to get "Made in USA" products, I made sure to order Timken as I could find no info on line that indicated manufacture in other countries (I know, how naive). Ordered from Rock Auto and got (guess what) TM HA590482 Unit Bearings made in South Korea. How disappointing. Could have ordered Moog (and several others) for half the price.

J

JKDream

Looking to get "Made in USA" products, I made sure to order Timken as I could find no info on line that indicated manufacture in other countries (I know, how naive). Ordered from Rock Auto and got (guess what) TM HA590482 Unit Bearings made in South Korea. How disappointing. Could have ordered Moog (and several others) for half the price.
Most bearings are made in Korea.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

IIRC, previously there was a thread on this. With some of them being made in USA and some being outsourced. I would assume (and hope) that any outsourcing done by Timken would still result in manufacturing consistent with their engineering and their standards. They've always manufactured quality products.

JoeB-JKURX

IIRC, previously there was a thread on this. With some of them being made in USA and some being outsourced. I would assume (and hope) that any outsourcing done by Timken would still result in manufacturing consistent with their engineering and their standards. They've always manufactured quality products.

Timken still commands a premium. Koyo bearings used in most Japanese cars are available with Master Install Kits from several sellers of R&P gears at a significant discount to Timken. By all accounts these (Japanese made?) gears are excellent quality. I'd still buy Timken if "Made in USA".

WJCO

Meme King
Timken still commands a premium. Koyo bearings used in most Japanese cars are available with Master Install Kits from several sellers of R&P gears at a significant discount to Timken. By all accounts these (Japanese made?) gears are excellent quality. I'd still buy Timken if "Made in USA".

Koyo is Japanese made (or at least used to be). Great quality bearings. Not sure it they make unit bearings though.

JoeB-JKURX

Not sure how much Timkens are, but can get factory hubs here for $143 a pop. That’s what I went with when I did mine. Wire will be long enough and you won’t have problems with the plug being different.

https://www.cdjrmoparparts.com/oem-...MIpvuk58Lf1wIV0YizCh0ajgWyEAQYBCABEgKJlPD_BwE

View attachment 306150

Timkens from Rock Auto were $103 each with free shipping and no tax. As I'd mentioned, I was disappointed to see that the Timkens were made in South Korea. Looking at the paperwork with the bearings, it appears that Timken no longer even makes the Unit Bearings but rather distributes parts "carefully chosen from select manufacturers". Koyo, indeed, makes no claim (that I can find) to Unit Bearings with their brand.

phillypete

In industrial applications there has been lots of information of counterfeit bearings coming in from overseas. The best defense is knowledge and only dealing with reputable dealers.

Attachments

• 5872FBE0-8FE7-413C-A2A2-A3770241E4DD.jpeg
    5872FBE0-8FE7-413C-A2A2-A3770241E4DD.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 90

JoeB-JKURX

In industrial applications there has been lots of information of counterfeit bearings coming in from overseas. The best defense is knowledge and only dealing with reputable dealers.

Good info on the packaging. These (the Timken Unit Bearings from Rock Auto) have the packaging as shown for the genuine parts. That makes me feel a little better.

I work at a company rebuilding semi transmissions. We exclusively use “DT Components” which is Timken if you look it up. The bearings in the kits often are China, Japan, Timken and koyo bearings. Even in the same kit. Which makes me believe they’re all made in the same factory. They’re damn good quality and our company has a two year warranty on the transmissions I’ve never heard of a bearing failure warranty that wasn’t caused by installer or lack of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom