Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Korean Timken Unit Bearings

South Korean Timken Unit Bearings

Looking to get "Made in USA" products, I made sure to order Timken as I could find no info on line that indicated manufacture in other countries (I know, how naive). Ordered from Rock Auto and got (guess what) TM HA590482 Unit Bearings made in South Korea. How disappointing. Could have ordered Moog (and several others) for half the price.

Nothing but a Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeB-JKURX View Post
    Looking to get "Made in USA" products, I made sure to order Timken as I could find no info on line that indicated manufacture in other countries (I know, how naive). Ordered from Rock Auto and got (guess what) TM HA590482 Unit Bearings made in South Korea. How disappointing. Could have ordered Moog (and several others) for half the price.
    Most bearings are made in Korea.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

IIRC, previously there was a thread on this. With some of them being made in USA and some being outsourced. I would assume (and hope) that any outsourcing done by Timken would still result in manufacturing consistent with their engineering and their standards. They've always manufactured quality products.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    IIRC, previously there was a thread on this. With some of them being made in USA and some being outsourced. I would assume (and hope) that any outsourcing done by Timken would still result in manufacturing consistent with their engineering and their standards. They've always manufactured quality products.
    Timken still commands a premium. Koyo bearings used in most Japanese cars are available with Master Install Kits from several sellers of R&P gears at a significant discount to Timken. By all accounts these (Japanese made?) gears are excellent quality. I'd still buy Timken if "Made in USA".

Timken still commands a premium. Koyo bearings used in most Japanese cars are available with Master Install Kits from several sellers of R&P gears at a significant discount to Timken. By all accounts these (Japanese made?) gears are excellent quality. I'd still buy Timken if "Made in USA".
    Koyo is Japanese made (or at least used to be). Great quality bearings. Not sure it they make unit bearings though.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Not sure how much Timkens are, but can get factory hubs here for $143 a pop. That’s what I went with when I did mine. Wire will be long enough and you won’t have problems with the plug being different.

https://www.cdjrmoparparts.com/oem-p...CABEgKJlPD_BwE

IMG_6073.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VeruGE*144 View Post
    Not sure how much Timkens are, but can get factory hubs here for $143 a pop. That’s what I went with when I did mine. Wire will be long enough and you won’t have problems with the plug being different.

https://www.cdjrmoparparts.com/oem-p...CABEgKJlPD_BwE

IMG_6073.jpg
    Timkens from Rock Auto were $103 each with free shipping and no tax. As I'd mentioned, I was disappointed to see that the Timkens were made in South Korea. Looking at the paperwork with the bearings, it appears that Timken no longer even makes the Unit Bearings but rather distributes parts "carefully chosen from select manufacturers". Koyo, indeed, makes no claim (that I can find) to Unit Bearings with their brand.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    At least it’s South Korea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block phillypete's Avatar
    In industrial applications there has been lots of information of counterfeit bearings coming in from overseas. The best defense is knowledge and only dealing with reputable dealers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by phillypete View Post
    In industrial applications there has been lots of information of counterfeit bearings coming in from overseas. The best defense is knowledge and only dealing with reputable dealers.
    Good info on the packaging. These (the Timken Unit Bearings from Rock Auto) have the packaging as shown for the genuine parts. That makes me feel a little better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast