NEW TOW RIG TIRES - Cooper Discoverer AT3XLT All-Terrains

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A little over a month ago, I got a call from Cooper Tire asking if I'd be interested in testing out an all new line of all-terrain tires that they were going to be releasing this summer called, the Discoverer AT3XLT. In addition to being made out of their long lasting Durable-Tread Technology, these tires were made to be strong enough to take on the toughest of road, provide superior traction in rain and snow and offer additional grip in mud and loose soil with the "biting edges" designed into the shoulders. Of course, the one thing that really caught my eye was the fact that these tires also come with a best-in-class, 60,000 mile warranty!

Now, I'd be the first to say that I'm not really an all-terrain tire kind of guy or at least, not when it comes to my Jeeps but a tire like this is what I'd prefer to run on my tow rig. Being that most of it's time is spent on the highway pulling heavy loads and in snowy conditions in the winter, I was more than happy to give them a try. Here's a few shots of what they look like.
20180604104117-a62f0828-me.jpg

While the tread is more mild mannered in its design, the shoulder lugs are very aggressive and look more like something you'd find on a mud-terrain tire.
20180604104152-cde27b45-me.jpg

20180604104121-49603d0a-me.jpg

20180604104126-80dd144c-me.jpg

Here you can see that the AT3XLT features Cooper's Durable-Tread Technology and maybe even more important, that the tire is MADE IN THE U.S.A.
20180604104130-98f54687-me.jpg

The significant amount of siping should help to offer outstanding traction even in icy conditions.
20180604104202-30334a13-me.jpg

Here are a few pics of what they look like installed on our Duramax.
20180718103527-4193471b-me.jpg

20180718103454-73eacf95-me.jpg

20180718103443-3db3bcba-me.jpg

20180718103502-fb21b843-me.jpg

20180718103531-3d9beb45-me.jpg

20180718103542-264c5ed0-me.jpg

20180718103515-95f453d3-me.jpg

Although we had no real reason to tow Moby anywhere, we did just have the cooling system on our Duramax worked on and so, Cindy and I decided to kill two birds with one stone and do so by testing it and our new Cooper Discoverer AT3XLT, out on the highway and in the blistering heat of summer. All loaded up and ready to go!
20180718095520-b983fd81-me.jpg

20180718095523-5238fbde-me.jpg

So, after spending the whole day driving out into the desert, up and over mountain passes and in near 100° temps, this is what I can tell you. Our cooling system is working great again but more importantly, the all new Cooper Discoverer AT3XLT all-terrain tires are great! Sure, they may not have the sexiest tread in the world but the upside to that, is that they're super quite on the highway. Also, being that they have significantly less rolling resistance, we did see a slight increase in our fuel economy.
20180718095525-10dcad4a-me.jpg

It'll be a while before I can test these new Discoverer AT3XLT in the snow and ice but I do look forward to it and will be sure to update my review of them once I do. :cool:

The AT3XLT should be available for sale this month and for those of you who might be interested in them, the following is the official press release that Cooper has provided.

Cooper® Discoverer AT3XLT™
The all-new, all terrain Cooper® Discoverer AT3XLT™ tires are as powerful as your sense of adventure. They’re reliable in the toughest conditions, with resistance to shredding built right in, for performance that lasts. And with superior control in all seasons, there’s no limit to where they can take you.

We’ve designed these tires to give you strength that won’t quit—and that all starts with Durable-Tread Technology™. The long wearing rubber compound of the tires equips them for endurance, while their tread pattern spits out rocks and debris on the roughest of roads. Biting edges built into the side of the tire help to give you fierce traction and grip when trekking through mud and loose soil. And channels in the tire evacuate water when rain hits, and trap snow for better winter traction, so you’re prepared for changing weather, no matter the season. Equipped with a best-in-class warranty of up to 60,000 miles, they’re the tires that will keep you exploring.*

When we upgraded the Discoverer AT3XLT™ tires, we kept your biggest musts in mind. That’s why they hold up on rough roads, are constructed to provide a stable ride when hauling and yet are adaptable enough to give you a quiet, comfortable ride on the highway. Made in the USA they’re more durable than ever. You’ll know you have tires you can trust—so you can have confidence when it counts.

Ddays

Hooked
This is awesome timing. I am really curious how these will handle in the snow. The Michelins that came on our F250 absolutely SUCK! Seriously, these things are worthless anytime there is precip on the road. They are quiet but that's about the only thing nice I can say about them. I'm quietly hoping I run over something (at low speed!) that ruins two of them so I can get a good set before winter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good looking tire! Pretty cool that you get to test things like that out!

Don't always get to but I definitely got lucky with this one. :yup:

This is awesome timing. I am really curious how these will handle in the snow. The Michelins that came on our F250 absolutely SUCK! Seriously, these things are worthless anytime there is precip on the road. They are quiet but that's about the only thing nice I can say about them. I'm quietly hoping I run over something (at low speed!) that ruins two of them so I can get a good set before winter.

If these perform even half as good as their STT Pros do in the white stuff, which of course are mud-terrains and should suck but don't, I'll be super happy with these tires. :yup:

Zstairlessone

While I am going to put KO2s on my Jeep this fall in place of the KM2s, these AT3XLTs may go on the truck when I change tires in the spring. Looking forward to some more insight along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
That’s a good lookin tire. Similar to the “Toyo ATII Extreme”, Load Range E... I like that sidewall more on the Cooper. If I end up keeping my Duramax through another set of tires, I’ll definitely give those a look. Thanks for Sharing. [emoji1417]

longarmwj

Good looking tire! I may have missed it somewhere, but any idea what size range they will offer? Might be a good option for my brother's renegade if they offer an appropriate size. :thumb:

Fridge81

Those look badass! I have the Cooper AT3 on my tow pig and like them. They whine a little, but not enough that it is annoying. Now I can’t wait for them to wear out so I can mount up a set of the the new style. The sidewall looks way better. IMG_0138.jpg IMG_0137.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Ya what happened to Michelin? I just wore a set out in around 30,000 Miles, disappointed

Ddays

Hooked
Ya what happened to Michelin? I just wore a set out in around 30,000 Miles, disappointed

Right? Funny how some companies make both excellent and shit tires throughout their lineup. Especially Michelin and Goodyear. I have to say the only company that I've found that I'm satisfied with their tires throughout their lineup has been Cooper. I've run their performance tires, LT tires, SUV and passenger car tires and been happy with every set. I'm up to almost 45k on my STT Pros and have half the tread left :yup:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I will deff be getting a set of these once my current tires run out on the new rig, almost wish I was ready to upgrade now lol.

Houndy95

Nice looking tires. Thanks for sharing, I definitely will be keeping my out on these when I need some for the truck.

Top Bottom