Install Quote - Does this seem fair?

Torrin

Guys, struggling with a big upgrade on my 2017 JKU Sport. I have a shop that I think can do a really good job, but the quote seems high to me and I would like some feedback from you all. Please, oh please do not tell me all the different parts you would use to what I have quoted, I arrived at my parts decision for a bunch of reason and while I respect other opinions, this is likely the way I am going.

Synergy Stage 2 3" front/2" Rear with adjustable control arms, drag link flip, and geometry correction, remove front trackbar mount, leveling kit (Short arm) - $2,205
Fox Racing 2.0 Shocks - $560
Installation - 11.5 hours

Nitto Trail Grapples 37" x 5 - $1,850
ATX Slaps - $1,875
Mount/Balance 4.75 hours(!)
Powder Coat Beauty rings 5x$30 - $150

Teraflex Extreme Tire Carrier - $699
Installation - 2 hours

Dynatrack Trail Leader Package - $6,4991 (plus $250 shipping)
Front Axle Install - 3.6 hours
Rear Axle upgrade/gears/locker install - 5 hours

Adams 1310CV front and rear shafts - $975
Install - . .75 hours (includes replacing the transfer case yokes)

MCE Fenders - $753
Instsall 3.5 hours (includes trimming and reinstalling inner fender liner)

Shrock Works Front/Rear Bumper (midwidth) - $1,645
Install - 5 Hours (includes vacuum pump relo)

Genright Steel Sliders - $999
Powder Coat - $300
Install - 8 hours

Switch Pro 9100 Module - $549
Install - 4 hours

All of the prices for parts are list or better (mostly list). The hours seem super high to me, but I have never done a lift anywhere this extensive. I am interested in paying the guy a fair price for the install, but the shop rate is $110, so 10 extra hours is significant.

Input please.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
5 hours to install a front bumper seems like highway robbery to me. Honestly, a lot of the hours in that list seem pretty crazy to me. More importantly, a lot of that work is stuff you could do at home with even a modest set of tools.

J

JKDream

Honestly, that labor quote seems pretty outrageous.
4 Hours to install a switch system? It's already pre-wired.
8 Hours for sliders?
11.5 hours for the lift kit? It's not a long arm kit, it shouldn't take an experienced shop more than 2-3 hours.
Your bumpers that are going to cost $550 to install, consist of four bolts per side for the front, and two per side for the rear.

I would look into doing this yourself, most of these installs are just nuts and bolts.
Plus, you also gain the experience of knowing how to fix something if it breaks, because you know how it goes together/works.

WJCO

Meme King
I agree with all others here. Do most of it yourself and save a ton of money.

Your new front axle should come with a raised track bar bracket so all that you have to do is do the drag link flip.

Torrin

I can't do this myself, since the vehicle is used in a town I do not live in. I effectively live in a hotel when I am there, I have no hours to do an install when I am there, and have not tools or place to install it. The bumper install is 5 hours for front and rear bumper.

Ddays

Hooked
Teraflex Extreme Tire Carrier - $699
Installation - 2 hours

MCE Fenders - $753
Instsall 3.5 hours (includes trimming and reinstalling inner fender liner)

Shrock Works Front/Rear Bumper (midwidth) - $1,645
Install - 5 Hours (includes vacuum pump relo)

Genright Steel Sliders - $999
Powder Coat - $300
Install - 8 hours

Switch Pro 9100 Module - $549
Install - 4 hours

Like the others said, I'd at least consider doing the above mods myself. All you need is simple hand tools for each task. I'd also re-consider the tire carrier - there are better options out there.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Some of the numbers seem high, but that said, my projects always seem to take me twice as long as I think. Especially if I’ve not done it before. I would suggest that you total up all the projected hours, cut it by 1/3 or 1/2, and offer to pay that as a flat fee.

J

JKDream

I would suggest that you total up all the projected hours, cut it by 1/3 or 1/2, and offer to pay that as a flat fee.

This is a pretty good suggestion if your circumstances don't allow you to do the work yourself. Presuming you purchased the parts at the same shop doing the install, they should cut you a deal on the labor. Even 4WP offers free install on purchased lift kits (our local one does).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Torrin

This is a pretty good suggestion if your circumstances don't allow you to do the work yourself. Presuming you purchased the parts at the same shop doing the install, they should cut you a deal on the labor. Even 4WP offers free install on purchased lift kits (our local one does).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ya. but then I would have to us 4WP. :)

jesse3638

Hooked
As mentioned the labor hours seem pretty high. I know you said please don't offer suggestions on parts you are wanting installed but I'd recommend 1350 drive shafts over the 1310's you have planned especially since you are going 37's. I blew up my rear 1310 on 35's. Just some food for thought. Too bad you don't have the time or place to do the install yourself it would be pretty straight forward and a great learning experience.

Torrin

As mentioned the labor hours seem pretty high. I know you said please don't offer suggestions on parts you are wanting installed but I'd recommend 1350 drive shafts over the 1310's you have planned especially since you are going 37's. I blew up my rear 1310 on 35's. Just some food for thought. Too bad you don't have the time or place to do the install yourself it would be pretty straight forward and a great learning experience.

Thanks for that, I guess I was trying to prevent conversations around - Synergy Sucks Use - XYZ, or KMC is WAAAAY better than ATX Slabs, etc.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks for that, I guess I was trying to prevent conversations around - Synergy Sucks Use - XYZ, or KMC is WAAAAY better than ATX Slabs, etc.

Well there is the issue of that Teraflex tire carrier .... [emoji23]

You can save a couple of hundred by using the Wayalife Amazon link/prices for the wheels and tires. $1720 for the wheels and $1795 for the tires. Guess you could ask the shop if they'd price match. That is so much work, the shop should give you a bit of a break on the labor. It would be worth it to get a couple more estimates from shops you trust, even if you have to drive a bit. They are going to have it for a while.

It going to be an amazingly capable rig when she is done, congrats. Oh yeah, please reconsider the tire carrier ;-)

Torrin

You can save a couple of hundred by using the Wayalife Amazon link/prices for the wheels and tires. $1720 for the wheels and $1795 for the tires. Guess you could ask the shop if they'd price match. That is so much work, the shop should give you a bit of a break on the labor. It would be worth it to get a couple more estimates from shops you trust, even if you have to drive a bit. They are going to have it for a while.

It going to be an amazingly capable rig when she is done, congrats. Oh yeah, please reconsider the tire carrier ;-)

My issue is I live 750 miles away from Houston, so I was only able to find one shop that folks here said was good. I spent 2 hours with the guy, and he is great, knowledgeable and builds good rigs, but I feel like the labor costs are way out of whack, especially when he should have margin a a lot of the equipment he is purchasing (he is charging me mostly list). If I know of another place I would check. I thought about using Exodus Jeeps, but that is 2.5 hours from me, tough to get there and get back, plus what happens if something is not right post install? I doubt they would fly someone over to me.

Last edited:

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I've never had work done at Exodus, but from what I've seen on here it would be worth the extra travel. There is at least one guy on here that has taken their Jeep to them from quite a ways away. I do know Bubba is a great guy to deal with. I'm pretty sure you would get a very fair quote.

chipper

2.5 hours to possibly save a bunch of money is definitely worth it to me. Atleast it will give you some piece of mind with another quote. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
If you like that shop, just have the conversation that this is an "estimate" and you want to only pay actual shop hours spent, not a guesstimate that's higher than what I can do by myself in the garage.

jdofmemi

So, I see close to $5K in labor there. The only thing that is not really a DIY project is the rear re gear.

That seems like a lot to me for what is being done, and it is in addition to what they are making by selling you around $20K in parts.

If you are set on it, it's your money and your Jeep, but I would press hard for a better deal. It seems to me that the labor is too high by at least a third, more when you figure the parts sale as well.

DMF

Can't travel, unable to install it yourself. :hmm: sounds like your only option is negotiate on labor.

Top Bottom