2012 and up JK, what to look for?

BobNH

It took a month of haggling, but what was a $2000 repair became a $9500+ repair over the course of a month and my 08 Rubicon has been deemed a total loss. Very sad, and given what just went into it, quite annoyed.
Anyway, I have a line on a very well priced 2012 Sahara with 53k on the odo, and would look in general at 2012 and up now anyway, so anyone help me out with the basic "what to look for" list?
Oil leaks still common? Exhaust headers cracking hopefully a thing of the past? How is the auto trans? Not high on my list, was going to go with the 6 spd manual, but this Sahara has auto, so any input on those is appreciated.
and shadetree mechanic stuff-the plugs were a fricken nightmare on my 08, any improvements here? And the trans pan, any better access with the 5 spd auto?

Thank for any help

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. Sorry to hear and I feel your pain as I was recently in a similar predicament. What happened?

As far as 2012 up, the only major issue that I recall is the extended warranty coverage on the cylinder head if it's defective. I think it's covered for an additional 10 years.

BobNH

Wow. Sorry to hear and I feel your pain as I was recently in a similar predicament. What happened?

As far as 2012 up, the only major issue that I recall is the extended warranty coverage on the cylinder head if it's defective. I think it's covered for an additional 10 years.
Ah, I do recall hearing something about the heads.
And ty, appreciate it, and sorry to hear you had to deal with it was well.
A guy pulled out of a grocery store parking lot right in front of me. Two lane traffic eastbound, he wanted to go west. I approached in the left lane to turn left, the right lane was backed up due to traffic. Two cars left the lot before him, then a trike motorcycle turned left from the west bound lane into the grocery store. All this i saw. As I kept coming forward, I saw him all of a sudden shoot out between the cars that had let the other traffic out/in. I slammed on the brakes, though I wasnt even going 30, and came nearly to a stop, but he was still looking east for oncoming ttaffic, never looked my way, and gassed it at a 45 degree angle for maximum exit speed. This meant that he turned into my drivers corner and bashed the bumper tore off the fender, crushed my control arm and toed out the tire bad, accellerating the entire time. He spun it around in the road and pulled back into the store.
As it turns out, the frame also got twisted in the impact, buckling the body mounts. The whole vehicle would vibrate at idle after as well, and there was question as to impact to the trans and transfer. Also, fluid leaking out of the axle, which got pushed back at least 4" on the drivers side, so the brand new seal was leaking oil, so that meant axle shaft bent enough to either pop or break the seal, so that was done, and if it twisted that much, how much damage did it do to the diff carrier, etc. List of possibilites got too long to continue.
Got more than I owed, and more than I financed almost 2 years ago, so that part worked out at least.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

fusion_jeff

Sorry to hear about rig.

I have a 2016 JK Rubicon Hard Rock. I have about 50k miles on it. I haven’t had many issues. Largest so far was a head replacement at 25k miles (slightly low compression on 1 cylinder, replaced under warranty) and a TIPM replacement shortly after. When the did the head they didn’t clamp the heater hose correctly so it was spraying hot coolant all over the TIPM and got inside and corroded the contacts, causing it to fail and my electrical system to go completely ape shit while driving down the road.

Other than that, oil changes are super easy, no leaks, motor is plenty strong even with the auto trans. I pass people all the time, up hill, running 35s (I have the 4.10 gears which helps a lot). Gas mileage sucks (15mpg avg), but it’s a lifted Jeep, so there is that to take with a grain of salt.

The 2012+ JK is a great vehicle and a little more refined than the units that shipped with the old 3.8L Caravan motor. The JLs look nice, but I got less than a year and this one is paid off, which sounds much better.

Good luck with the hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74CJ5

Sorry about your 08. I have a 12 that I bought new and it had the cylinder head problem but it cropped up around 12K miles. I think most of them that had problems were around the the 10-15K mark. I would pull the service history to see if the one you are looking at had any issues. Other than that, no real issues to speak of.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

It looks like cylinder head was replaced, along woth the brain a month before, so pretty much pre-disastered and that is the common complaints so should be good on those at least? Screenshot_2018-07-19-17-21-13.jpg

J

JKDream

Pretty much this, my 2013 has been one of, if not the most reliable vehicle motor wise I've ever owned.
The auto transmission is pretty meh, shifts pretty shitty, but I've never had a real issue beyond that.

It looks like cylinder head was replaced, along woth the brain a month before, so pretty much pre-disastered and that is the common complaints so should be good on those at least?

Personally I would steer clear of a 2012.
I think (might be wrong here) Eddie had the head replaced 2-3 times on Rubicat for that issue.

2016 JKR with 64,000KMs.

The valve body in my trans had the owl hoot sound replaced at 5,000KM.

Lots of folks had rads replaced due to slow leak, bottom driver side. Mine replaced 100KM from my 3 year 60k warranty ending.

Annnd my stock battery have me three slow starts warning then a click click dead at 62,000KM.

No oil consumption, no dry starts, plenty of pull and power for me. It sails down the Highway nicely. I'm very happy with it.

Running a 2.5" lift with 35s steel bumpers since 68KM on the clock.

Good luck with purchase

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom