TACTICAL WELDER - Could this be the Ultimate Portable Welder?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I got an email from a company called UltraTech and thought there might be more than a few of you might be interested in seeing what they make - a 35 lb., 528Wh Lithium-Ion battery-powered portable arc welder, with a 300A industrial grade spool gun and one that comes in an easy to carry backpack. According to their website, this welder is capable of producing high-quality MIG welds and flux-cored welds using 0.035 in. flux-cored wire and argon gas on a ⅜” steel plate and can lay down about a pound of welded wire on a single charge.

Included with the TACTICAL WELDER
Power system (Battery & BMS)
Spool gun
7A charger
300A ground clamp
6-foot cables with high-current plug connectors for positive or negative ground welding.

Here's a short video of what it looks like.

Interested? :wings:
How about at $6,000 - still interested? :eek:

Honestly, that is what it costs and I just wanted to see what some of you thought about this portable welder and it's steep cost. Would it be something that you could justify? Or, maybe something a club could invest in? What say you?

TrailHunter

Hooked
That is Bad Ass!! But 6k? I’ll wait until it hits $1000.... At least the market for portable welders is headed in the right direction ... Cool to see for sure. I would love to have something like that for work & for Wheeling.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is Bad Ass!! But 6k? I’ll wait until it hits $1000.... At least the market for portable welders is headed in the right direction ... Cool to see for sure. I would love to have something like that for work & for Wheeling.

Honestly, if it were in $2k range, I'd still be interested.

Brute

Hooked
I believe it’ll get there... and when it does... they will sell like Thin Mints at a Weed Convention.

Battery technology is evolving quickly...hopefully it translates to lower consumer cost.

I will have to plagiarize the thin mints comment...next time I pick up Girl Scout cookies...

longarmwj

Battery technology is evolving quickly...hopefully it translates to lower consumer cost.

I will have to plagiarize the thin mints comment...next time I pick up Girl Scout cookies...

Not sure if referring to the strain, or actual cookies :hmm::hmm:

98XJ06LJ

Honestly, if it were in $2k range, I'd still be interested.
Agree on 2k range. At current price it would probably be cheaper to have your rig towed off the trail and in to town by the most expensive recovery company in the area. My Millermatic 211 was 11 or 12 hundred. Having a compact portable welder on the trail with you that uses current tech would be cool. Maybe you could talk them into a demo. Then let us know what you think about it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bigjimbo

Fronius has a tig version called the Accupocket which weighs in at 31lbs. I have not used one personally, but have heard good things about it. It's in the $2-3k price point.

It can be powered via battery, outlet or hybrid. I don't weld enough to justify one. I also don't know how much replacement batteries are. Would be sweet if they ran off DeWalt or Milwaukees though.

AcydDrop

The Fronius AccuPocket it's a stick welder that puts out about 140A and runs on Batteries. It clocks in around $3 grand I think. There's also the Fronius TransPocket which is a portable TIG welder for about $2 grand. You'll need to run it off a genny. But it's got a reasonably low power draw so you can run it off the tiny Honda EU2200i 2200W generator (total is about $4 grand).

They're both still spendy, but cheaper.

https://shopweldingsupplies.com/products/fronius-accupocket-battery-powered-150-stick-welding-machine
https://shopweldingsupplies.com/products/fronius-transpocket-180mv-external-gas-tig-welding-machine

You can find the Honda genny on Amazon.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The Fronius AccuPocket it's a stick welder that puts out about 140A and runs on Batteries. It clocks in around $3 grand I think. There's also the Fronius TransPocket which is a portable TIG welder for about $2 grand. You'll need to run it off a genny. But it's got a reasonably low power draw so you can run it off the tiny Honda EU2200i 2200W generator (total is about $4 grand).

They're both still spendy, but cheaper.

https://shopweldingsupplies.com/products/fronius-accupocket-battery-powered-150-stick-welding-machine
https://shopweldingsupplies.com/products/fronius-transpocket-180mv-external-gas-tig-welding-machine

You can find the Honda genny on Amazon.

I don’t know anyone that has enough room to carry a generator with them while wheeling.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom