Installing Evo Long Arm on half at a Time

phillypete

I just recieved my evo Long Arm kit and I’m an excited to get cutting. Being that my JK is also my daily driver, I’d like to minimize downtime.

From what i’ve heard the long arm install is an arduous journey of self doubt, remorse and finally overwhelming joy.

Would it be safe and/or feasible to install one half (let’s say the rear end) of the kit and drive it that way for a week before finishing the second on the following weekend?

Attachments

• CE774333-80E7-4ED3-89C1-58F5CC0909CF.jpg
    CE774333-80E7-4ED3-89C1-58F5CC0909CF.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 484

Benito

Caught the Bug
Yes, that is perfectly fine, just be sure you have completely completed the rear end before you try to drive it... and continue to the front

Last edited:

phillypete

Yes, that is perfectly fine, just be sure you have completely completed the rear end before you try to drive it... and continue to the front

What if I do just the right side... jk... lol

Thanks for the reply! This takes some anxiety out of this install.

jesse3638

Hooked
Having installed a long arm lift (Full Traction 3") in my garage on Jack stands I'd say it's going to be a lot of work to get half done in 2 days. You have to take into consideration you'll probably have to drop the gas tank for the rear and pull the exhaust off for the front. I'm not sure if EVO's kit still requires cutting and rotating the exhaust loop or not. If you have access to a plasma cutter it'll make it go much quicker. I could have used one but having never used one I didn't trust myself not to cut through something I didn't want to. 2 angle grinders, 1 withcutting wheel and one with 30 grit flap wheel will save having to switch wheels. Buy several 1/2" drill bits, DeWalt pilot point bits I found worked well. They didn't walk and they cut fast. They will dull and I think I went through 3 or 4 of them. All said and done it took me 3 and a half week's working on it 5+ days a week, 6-8 hours on my days off mostly by myself. I also installed a EVO draglink flip kit and front and rear drive shafts. I did have to wait for replacement parts because I received some incorrect ones so that set me back a bit too. It's very ambitious and not worth rushing. Maybe plan on a rental car as a back up plan.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

phillypete

Having installed a long arm lift (Full Traction 3") in my garage on Jack stands I'd say it's going to be a lot of work to get half done in 2 days. You have to take into consideration you'll probably have to drop the gas tank for the rear and pull the exhaust off for the front. I'm not sure if EVO's kit still requires cutting and rotating the exhaust loop or not. If you have access to a plasma cutter it'll make it go much quicker. I could have used one but having never used one I didn't trust myself not to cut through something I didn't want to. 2 angle grinders, 1 withcutting wheel and one with 30 grit flap wheel will save having to switch wheels. Buy several 1/2" drill bits, DeWalt pilot point bits I found worked well. They didn't walk and they cut fast. They will dull and I think I went through 3 or 4 of them. All said and done it took me 3 and a half week's working on it 5+ days a week, 6-8 hours on my days off mostly by myself. I also installed a EVO draglink flip kit and front and rear drive shafts. I did have to wait for replacement parts because I received some incorrect ones so that set me back a bit too. It's very ambitious and not worth rushing. Maybe plan on a rental car as a back up plan.

Jesse, thanks for the heads up!

For me part of the fun is trying to plan out these projects with limited downtime. So any further advice would be greatly appreaciated.

I have access to a plasma and know how to use it. My plan for when we take the Jeep out of service is to have me on the plasma and my oldest son on the angle grinder following behind me.

I am getting a flex exhaust kit to get back on the road ASAP.

Is there any work that can be done prior to cutting? Can any of the brackets be located and drilled before cutting away the old stuff?

Thanks for your help.

jesse3638

Hooked
Jesse, thanks for the heads up!

For me part of the fun is trying to plan out these projects with limited downtime. So any further advice would be greatly appreaciated.

I have access to a plasma and know how to use it. My plan for when we take the Jeep out of service is to have me on the plasma and my oldest son on the angle grinder following behind me.

I am getting a flex exhaust kit to get back on the road ASAP.

Is there any work that can be done prior to cutting? Can any of the brackets be located and drilled before cutting away the old stuff?

Thanks for your help.
Unfortunately there isn't much that can be drilled with out cutting and smoothing first. Also don't be like me and try to work around the axles and drive shaft. Take them out so you can have more room. Also if you're working of of Jack stands sliding a tire under there with a moving blanket can give you more leverage to lean up against. You can install the bump stops on the axles with out cutting.

BPA

subscribed! l too am looking to get evo long arms installed in my jeep in the future.

phillypete

I was under the Jeep plotting out the install last night. To me the front end seems much more straight forward.

Since I’m doing half at a time is it better to start on the front or rear?

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I was under the Jeep plotting out the install last night. To me the front end seems much more straight forward.

I can’t say that it’s better by any means, but I can say that I ONLY have the front and have been running like that for almost a year and a half

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Benito

Caught the Bug

That’s where I started. had a slightly different plan of action though, we had two saws-all’s and two grinders attacked it from both sides, finished smoothing one side, got it fitted, while that was being welded the other side was finished smoothing and got fitted, and then I moved over to start installing control arms on the side that was finished, I think we installed the front in 6 hours, and the rear in 8 hours the next day. I also used a flex kit temporarily until I figured out the loop. I sounds like ass without the loop FYI.

Five-N9ne

If it’s for exhaust “tuning”, the gain or loss of keeping or removing it is effectively negligible. If I remember correctly from working for a suspension manufacturer the whole reason it was put in was to keep the Y equal length, trying to “tune” the pulses for scavenging. While a common practice, the power gain or loss is effectively null. The stronger pulses of an unequal setup will scavenge just as well. Cut it out and fit your suspension and call it a day.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Is this because of fitment or because you don’t like the idea of deleting the loop? I know it’s a controversial issue on the JKs. I was just wondering if it will fit with the long arm lift.

Whys that?

The Jeep was designed to have the loop, something about equal pressures. The correct way to do the install is to cut it, flip it, and weld it back on.

jesse3638

Hooked
I did the math and think it’s exactly 50/50. ;)

^^^This^^^

The rear CA brackets are easier to cut off than the front but gas tank and exhaust removal is required. Up front the brackets are harder to get to but exhaust removal is required. I'd try to focus on a full disassemly (axle, driveshaft, etc.) of which end you choose to do the evening you get home. Also you can set the starting arm lengths in advance. Then start bright and early with cutting. That takes the longest. Don't forget to consider paint drying time.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I’m interested to see how this goes. I’ve been wanting to do the install by myself. But seems like a pain. Don’t want to get in trouble at the apartments again. [emoji23] good luck on the install![emoji1303]

Top Bottom