Pennsylvania Trails Day Trip

Ddays

Hooked
Inspired by Eddies recent trip thread and last minute invite for the wife to stay at her sisters place for the weekend, Friday night I packed a backpack, gassed up Gruff and headed out Saturday morning for a weekend roadtrip. I spend time in the Benezette area 3-4 times a year, but for this trip I didn't want to go on any of the roads or trails I've been on before. While the interstates have their drawbacks, they do allow fast access to remote areas. Left home at 6 am and in 2 hours I was on a dirt road miles from anyone. I only saw 3 other cars in the backwoods all day long. I keep finding that I'm only scratching the surface with the amount of back roads and trails I keep finding every time I go out. While these are not the technical trails accessible out west, there is still a tremendous amount of fun to be had. Ended up in State College in the evening & spend some time in the old stomping grounds.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

I stay off the powerlines as they are always posted no trespassing and usually have gates to keep anyone out. At this one there were zero signs and no cables. I even got out and looked for fallen signs or a cut cable. Nothing. I think the hill climb to access the top of the first hill was the deterrent. It was well worth it.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Lunch Spot

10.jpg

11.jpg

11a.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Forgot my route map. Dotted section was off paved roads. Pa guys - you're missing a shitload of fun if you've never explored this part of PA. In fact the whole northern half of the state is like this.

PA Trip.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Inspired by Eddies recent trip thread and last minute invite for the wife to stay at her sisters place for the weekend, Friday night I packed a backpack, gassed up Gruff and headed out Saturday morning for a weekend roadtrip. I spend time in the Benezette area 3-4 times a year, but for this trip I didn't want to go on any of the roads or trails I've been on before. While the interstates have their drawbacks, they do allow fast access to remote areas. Left home at 6 am and in 2 hours I was on a dirt road miles from anyone. I only saw 3 other cars in the backwoods all day long. I keep finding that I'm only scratching the surface with the amount of back roads and trails I keep finding every time I go out. While these are not the technical trails accessible out west, there is still a tremendous amount of fun to be had. Ended up in State College in the evening & spend some time in the old stomping grounds.

Simply awesome and so glad we've been able to inspire folks like you to get out there, document your experience and share it with us here :thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
Awesome trip Jerry! Beautiful country up there. Nice to have a quiet run like that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks! Man, I'm bummed I can't make your trip in a couple weeks. I've been to the UP but it was just passing through on my way to Montana years ago. One of these days!

Very cool!

Thanks man!
Looking good [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you Andy :cool:

Looks like fun trip [emoji106] thanks for sharing!!

It was really a nice quiet day. Onlly saw 3 cars while I was off the highway :)

Looks like a fun trip. So much history back there that I was never able to explore before moving out west.

Not as eventful as your Fordyce trip but it'll do! New York State has a lot to offer too. Been to the Finger Lakes Region and its awesome. I'd like to take a trip Upstate some day.

Simply awesome and so glad we've been able to inspire folks like you to get out there, document your experience and share it with us here :thumb:

Thanks Eddie! I really do owe a lot to you and Cindy for introducing me and others to this Wayalife :yup:

Looks like a great day, does the soul good to get away from work and just be out there, to be no where

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Couldn't have said it better that that!

Awesome run!

Thanks! Really a great day. Weather held out until the very end too.

jdofmemi

It's great to see trip reports like this from all over. There is a lot to see, if you get a chance to get out there and look.

That looks like beautiful country.

Ddays

Hooked
Nice trip. Was the picture with the canyon the so-called "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania"?

No, but ironically that was initially my final destination for the day but I got sidetracked so many times I altered my route & ended up in State College. That's one of my next trips!

Looks like a great trip.

Thanks, it was a great day for sure.

It's great to see trip reports like this from all over. There is a lot to see, if you get a chance to get out there and look.

That looks like beautiful country.

Pennsylvania is a really beautiful state. There are a ton to see here and the terrain varies so much - from the Lake Erie shore to the cities to the mountains and the farmlands its got a lot to offer. Just gotta turn off that TV on the weekends and get out there. :yup:

Top Bottom